Author Topic: Wanted to say this, but knew it wasn't appropriate.  (Read 8323 times)

jmarvellous

Re: Wanted to say this, but knew it wasn't appropriate.
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 05:32:31 PM »
On that note, I present this image. This sort of thing will definitely not make the lives of people who aren't "meat and potatoes" eaters any easier:

Nikko-chan

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 05:59:19 PM »
Note to all ehellions: If you see a menu with that on it, get thee away... quickly!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 06:07:48 PM »
On that note, I present this image. This sort of thing will definitely not make the lives of people who aren't "meat and potatoes" eaters any easier:

I see it as "fried rice prepared with chicken broth and meat fragments that might be lizard, bird, rabbit, pork (the other white meat), or random bits from the chopping block that we can't positively identify what animal it came from" versus "fried rice prepared with chicken broth AND guaranteed chopped pieces of chicken".
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Minmom3

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 01:26:14 AM »
You may be right!  I see it as something to avoid like the plague!   :P

It, as in any menu that has that.  Not vegetarian items.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 10:56:11 AM »
You may be right!  I see it as something to avoid like the plague!   :P

It, as in any menu that has that.  Not vegetarian items.

I don't want to eat it - but I do want to figure out what the options are - so I know if I want to order something else off the menu this time and next time pick a different place to eat.....when driving across country, sometimes I end up stopping when I'm too hungry to drive to the next exit (in parts of Texas they can be every mile or less than a minute apart - in parts of West Texas, they can be an hour apart at 75 mph).  You eat what's there....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Biker Granny

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 12:50:42 PM »
I think there's some over-reacting going on. 
If I see someone eating something that looks interesting and I feel I know them well enough, I'll ask what it is.

It would create a reasonable assumption that the person eating it might be a vegetarian.  What's wrong with asking?  It's not like I know the two other people ahead of my have asked the same question.

I might answer with "No....but if I was, this would be my main staple...I really love it."

No wonder no one wants to start up conversations anymore.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 03:09:36 PM »
If I see someone eating something that looks interesting and I feel I know them well enough, I'll ask what it is.

It would create a reasonable assumption that the person eating it might be a vegetarian.  What's wrong with asking?  It's not like I know the two other people ahead of my have asked the same question.

I might answer with "No....but if I was, this would be my main staple...I really love it."

You also don't know that the two people ahead of you haven't asked the same question. If a question or remark seems obvious, whether it's "nice weather" or "you're very tall" or "are you a vegetarian?" you probably aren't the first person to ask it, maybe not the first person that day. At best, you might be the first one to ask it without following up with "did you play basketball in college?" or "why don't you eat meat?"

I don't mind having two people within five minutes ask me "is this where I get the train to the airport?" because that's impersonal and each, separately, has a practical use for the information. But it's not useful for a stranger to know whether I'm a vegetarian; it might be useful for them to know whether my lunch is, but "Is that vegetarian? I'm looking for more good vegetarian options" or "Is that vegetarian?" followed by "Can I get some around here, I'm looking for a lunch spot" makes it impersonal or about the asker: rather than demanding information about me, they're offering information about themselves.

There are lots of ways to start a conversation that don't start by asking for information about the other person's lifestyle or health.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 03:17:42 PM »
There's also tone and intent, of course. Someone could be a vegetarian and be very excited to find another possible vegetarian and say excitedly "OH! Are you a vegetarian?" And someone else might be saying it with their nose wrinkled up, in disgust, as an accusation.

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 05:39:02 PM »
My reply would most likely be a chipper, "Nope. I just like falafel."

Mmmm, falafel... doggone it, now I'm hungry!  :P

Biker Granny

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 11:53:03 AM »

You also don't know that the two people ahead of you haven't asked the same question. If a question or remark seems obvious, whether it's "nice weather" or "you're very tall" or "are you a vegetarian?" you probably aren't the first person to ask it, maybe not the first person that day. At best, you might be the first one to ask it without following up with "did you play basketball in college?" or "why don't you eat meat?"

I don't mind having two people within five minutes ask me "is this where I get the train to the airport?" because that's impersonal and each, separately, has a practical use for the information. But it's not useful for a stranger to know whether I'm a vegetarian; it might be useful for them to know whether my lunch is, but "Is that vegetarian? I'm looking for more good vegetarian options" or "Is that vegetarian?" followed by "Can I get some around here, I'm looking for a lunch spot" makes it impersonal or about the asker: rather than demanding information about me, they're offering information about themselves.

There are lots of ways to start a conversation that don't start by asking for information about the other person's lifestyle or health.

One shouldn't be held responsible for the questions of others before them.

And I can only go by what what written on the OP.  I haven't read between any lines and added my own.

And these are not complete strangers.  This was at work so these were coworkers.  She's having lunch...her lunch looks interesting.  They asked what it was. Oh the horrors! :o
No one was demanding to know anything. From the OP the questions were asked with curiosity not disdain.   It was a very normal assumption that she might be a vegetarian because she was eating a vegetarian dish.  No one asked any thing more personal than that.  Maybe they were curious about the vegetarian eating lifestyle and thought it would be a good conversation starter.

Luckily this won't stop me from asking quite normal questions about something that interests me and might help me get to know someone a bit better.

magician5

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2013, 03:59:11 PM »

I see it as "fried rice prepared with chicken broth and meat fragments that might be lizard, bird, rabbit, pork (the other white meat), or random bits from the chopping block that we can't positively identify what animal it came from" versus "fried rice prepared with chicken broth AND guaranteed chopped pieces of chicken".

One of Tony Bourdain's travel/food shows a couple of years ago showed him riding with a local driver to try the various foods of a country (I think Latin American) and the driver, not fluent in English, was describing the source of the meat: "I think it is a kind of a squeezle."

Since then, rather than go into detail about some dish I am trying to cook, I say (or someone else is first to say" "It's a kind of a squeezle."
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Owly

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 01:21:23 AM »

I also notice that "meatless" fried rice costs less than it does with pork. What? It's almost like they're paying you to take the pork off their hands.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 09:13:15 AM »
If this is a common thing, I would write out a little sign on a piece of paper, fold it in half so it stands in front of you as you eat:

Falafel: Recipe below: Not Vegetarian. :D

flickan

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2013, 09:20:10 AM »
I also get a bit irked when people assume I'm a vegetarian or "going vegetarian" because I'm eating something without any meat, or ordering something meatless at a restaurant.

There's nothing weird about being a vegetarian, consequently there's nothing strange at all about ordering something meatless.  Why people notice meat more than anything else is beyond me.  There seems to be a common assumption that a meal without meat is "incomplete".  Why should this be the case?

Nikko-chan

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2013, 09:27:17 AM »
If this is a common thing, I would write out a little sign on a piece of paper, fold it in half so it stands in front of you as you eat:

Falafel: Recipe below: Not Vegetarian. :D

I like it!