Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 90097 times)

Jones

Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #165 on: September 05, 2013, 03:35:52 PM »
The religion in which I was raised is anti-tattoo, anti-most piercings; a single pair of pierces in the lobes is allowed for women only. I think it has something to do with a quote in the New Testament, 1 Corinthians? I can look it up if necessary. I will admit that I often got the feeling that a "single modest pair" was only allowed because so many older women already had theirs done when the rule came out.

Well, the piercing in my one ear ripped through; it eventually healed enough I could wear a small hoop or stud in it, by which point I had already gotten a new pierce as we thought my first would heal all the way. At 16 I, of course, wore earrings in all three holes; usually one hoop and a stud in the right ear, and a stud or matching hoop on the left. Sometimes I wore three matching studs. Very small things. My parents sat me down and had a conversation about how people would perceive my faith based on what I wore and how they hadn't thought I was getting another pierce, but a replacement pierce.

Funny thing is, now, I wear earrings maybe 3-4 times a year. I don't regret the extra pierce, certainly not the way I was warned I one day would, and I don't see myself ever regretting it.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #166 on: September 05, 2013, 03:36:50 PM »
I don't understand the objection some parents have to ear piercing.  People have been piercing their ears for thousands of years, and just about every woman I know has pierced ears.  My religious fanatic parents consider it to be a sin (along with a long list of other common behaviors).  I have no idea why.  If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be interested to hear it.

Two of my friends say that their parents had the idea that pierced ears were strictly for "Italians, gypsies, and [women of ill repute]."  During the Third Reich Hitler disapproved because it was "unnatural" (Fortunately, my mother's family didn't buy into that one).  Another friend said that her mother was under the impression that it wasn't "American" and saw it as something done in "the old country".  None of her three daughters bought that.

These people should all have seen the guy I saw in Starbucks last weekend who had gauges the size of bangle bracelets.

lilfox

« Reply #167 on: September 05, 2013, 04:04:25 PM »
Heh, my mom pestered me for years because she wanted me to get my ears pierced as a kid.  It was always up to me, but she offered to buy me lots of earrings if I would just "stop being a coward" and do it already.  I was terrified of needles, even had to be restrained to get shots, so I refused. Also, it seemed like a big hassle to me.  I eventually had it done at age 19 on my own terms.

Then she thought all my talk about getting a tattoo in my 20s was just talk because of the needle phobia.  I still hate shots (who doesn't) but I can handle it.  After I had it done, she tried to 'embarrass' me in front of my relatives about it, and was taken aback when they immediately questioned me about where I had it done, what was it like, how long to decide on the design, etc., for their own ink interests!

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #168 on: September 05, 2013, 04:21:16 PM »
It's funny to hear all the stories about pierced ears because in my culture, baby girls get pierced ears very early.  I got mine done when I was less than a year old.  I was surprised when my American friends were envious that I had pierced ears in elementary school because most of them were not allowed to get them until they were much older. 

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #169 on: September 05, 2013, 05:11:36 PM »
I don't understand the objection some parents have to ear piercing.  People have been piercing their ears for thousands of years, and just about every woman I know has pierced ears.  My religious fanatic parents consider it to be a sin (along with a long list of other common behaviors).  I have no idea why.  If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be interested to hear it.

It likely comes from the "your body is a temple" verse from 1 Corinthians 6:19-20. The idea is that modifying your body is defiling that temple and an insult to God. There's also Leviticus 19:28 (no tattoos or "cuts for the dead") as well as 1 Timothy 2:9 (women must dress modestly.) There's even one in Exodus about poking holes in someone's ear and making them a slave forever.

As Venus noted, there is more general objection based on the "wrong" kind of people having pierced ears or simply "we just don't do that here."

As an aside, on young kids and pierced ears: I'm probably going to make at least one 7yo girl cry this weekend over pierced ears. I'm a soccer referee and the kids are absolutely not allowed to play with anything in their ears, nor are they allowed to cover them up with tape. The earrings have to come out. Except that this is the first weekend of the season (and early in the school year) so of course they go out and get their ears pierced a day or so before the game -- and argue that they can't take the earring out until everything heals. Hence the unhappy little girl who's so proud of her new earrings but isn't allowed to play. And I'm a big meanie. *sigh*
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #170 on: September 05, 2013, 05:33:23 PM »
... I'm a soccer referee and the kids are absolutely not allowed to play with anything in their ears, nor are they allowed to cover them up with tape. The earrings have to come out. Except that this is the first weekend of the season (and early in the school year) so of course they go out and get their ears pierced a day or so before the game -- and argue that they can't take the earring out until everything heals. Hence the unhappy little girl who's so proud of her new earrings but isn't allowed to play. And I'm a big meanie. *sigh*

Do you have any way of knowing the names of the kids who are going to be playing before the school year begins?  If so, would it be possible to send a note home to parents either before school lets out in the spring or at least six weeks before school begins again in the fall reminding them about the no earrings rule and that there will be NO EXCEPTIONS!! 

Maybe that would help the parents and girls choose a more appropriate time for piercing -- either well before or right after soccer season.

Jones

« Reply #171 on: September 05, 2013, 05:44:07 PM »
... I'm a soccer referee and the kids are absolutely not allowed to play with anything in their ears, nor are they allowed to cover them up with tape. The earrings have to come out. Except that this is the first weekend of the season (and early in the school year) so of course they go out and get their ears pierced a day or so before the game -- and argue that they can't take the earring out until everything heals. Hence the unhappy little girl who's so proud of her new earrings but isn't allowed to play. And I'm a big meanie. *sigh*

Do you have any way of knowing the names of the kids who are going to be playing before the school year begins?  If so, would it be possible to send a note home to parents either before school lets out in the spring or at least six weeks before school begins again in the fall reminding them about the no earrings rule and that there will be NO EXCEPTIONS!! 

Maybe that would help the parents and girls choose a more appropriate time for piercing -- either well before or right after soccer season.
Art, you're AYSO correct? If so, then everyone has already read and signed off on the rules, including earrings...in my area anyway. But, yes, there are always the special ones who ignore it.

CocoCamm

• Leader of the 3 ring circus
« Reply #172 on: September 05, 2013, 05:50:12 PM »
My mother did like her soap operas and this is a humorous example of it and an example of her need to worry. 

For a few months after I moved into my own apartment, I retained a joint checking account with my mother.  On one visit home, she seemed disturbed about something.  I soon learned what it was.

After dinner she sat me down for a serious talk.  With tears in her eyes she wanted to know who someone I'll call 'Mr. Jones' was and why was I paying him 'all this money every month'.

'Mr. Jones' was my landlord and 'all this money every money every month' was my rent. 

Mother was greatly relieved.  She thought that 'Mr. Jones' was blackmailing me. 

I'm sorry but I found that to be absolutely hysterical!

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #173 on: September 05, 2013, 06:55:47 PM »

We tell the coaches this every year. They tell their families every year. Someone ignores it every year.

Art, you're AYSO correct? If so, then everyone has already read and signed off on the rules, including earrings...in my area anyway. But, yes, there are always the special ones who ignore it.

Ayup, that's me! And then there's my nemesis -- the "other ref". "The other ref let her play with earrings in!" When I catch up to "the other ref," s/he's going to get put in a remedial refereeing class, or have to put up with me supervising his/her games for a few weeks. Strangely, there's never a name and the family can't remember if it was last week or the week before, so they're not sure which game it was and well, all you refs look the same so how could we know who it is and besides you're just doing this to be mean to little kids. (Yeah, I give up my weekends, get verbally abused by parents all for the joy of making little girls cry.)

Maybe I'll have some good Special Snowflake stories this season!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #174 on: September 05, 2013, 08:21:48 PM »
both my parents were very supportive of their children.  However my mother did have a thing about jeans.  We had to buy them with our own money, and were not permitted to wear them as 'tidy wear'.

Cue a recent visit to the nursing home, where my mother now lives.  She was wearing jeans, and when I expressed amazement she treated me to a lecture about how comfy they were and how come I had let her get 87 before she found out!

Asharah

« Reply #175 on: September 05, 2013, 08:48:19 PM »
It kinds of annoys me when I see babies with pierced ears. They should have to nag their moms at least as much as I had to do first!
Asharah

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #176 on: September 05, 2013, 10:51:54 PM »
I coached our in our soccer association for 6 years and the rule was all jewelry off but if it was a new piercing it had to be covered with band aids.  We did have one SS parent who said their child would NOT wear band aids over their ears.  She wasn't happy sitting out the whole game but had band aids the next game.  It was asked, at each seasons sign up, that they wait till the season was over to get the piercings, but it wasn't forbidden.  I actually only encountered it twice in the 6 years, twice a year seasons.

My dad said only loose women got their ears pierced.  Repeatedly..after I lied at 16 to get mine done.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #177 on: September 06, 2013, 12:10:15 AM »
I'm very lucky in that my parents have always been more supportive than critical, but my mother has one thing about my house that she hates and she ALWAYS harps about when she stops by.  This big awful thing that drives her so mad? 

Dog kennels.

I have dog kennels in my living room-dining/computer room.  I have three dogs.  Those of you who recall my house photo thread have at least some idea of the fact that Bedside Manor is very small, and I'm very limited as to where the crates could go.  My mom suggested the back porch room (which gets hot as blazes in the summer and just as cold as outside(about-40C ) in winter.  The basement? That's where the cat food and litterboxes are.  The basement floor is bare concrete so the dogs would be quite cold and it would be hard on their joints.  Also, the basement has a door that is always closed that has a cat door already installed.  Kitties can go downstairs, all three dogs are trained to not.  If I go down to do laundry or whatever, they all stop and wait at the top of the stairs.  I like that (no tripping over dogs running up and down the stairs) and I'm not un-training them now.  Bedroom and kitchen are both out of the question.  So I'm pretty much keeping the kennels the only place I CAN keep the kennels.

I'm not seeing the big deal.  The crates are vacuumed and cleaned regularly so it's not like they're filthy or ugly.  I just don't get it.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

gmatoy

« Reply #178 on: September 06, 2013, 12:38:51 AM »
It kinds of annoys me when I see babies with pierced ears. They should have to nag their moms at least as much as I had to do first!

So, after reading the above, here was what I envisioned: Mom frazzled about baby crying for hours, in exhaustion, thinks, "Maybe baby is crying about wanting her ears pierced! I will take her right away!"

gmatoy

« Reply #179 on: September 06, 2013, 12:52:34 AM »
Okay, this is my big complaint about my mother: When I was going to college, my mother said to me, "I always thought that (youngest sister) would be the one that went to college!" I sat there and ate my tongue.

Yeah, I took college prep classes for no reason because when I was 17, my father told me I had 12 months to live at home. Despite the fact that I wouldn't have finished high school yet! (To my mother's credit, she at least got him to let me stay until I graduated.) So, even though I wanted to go to college, I joined the Army instead.

So, she always thought my sister would be THE ONE to go to college?!!  Really?!! Huh, I always thought that I would be the one ... until my parents wouldn't even let me live at home and pay my own way through college. ARG!

It took me 26 years to start college, but I did it in 4 years and I was on the Dean's list every single quarter! Thanks, Mom, for telling me that you don't think I'm smart enough or dedicated enough.