Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 88061 times)

suzieQ

Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #225 on: September 09, 2013, 10:44:12 AM »

In contrast, my MIL criticized us for buying our niece (her granddaughter) books for her birthday. "Yoo, hoo! Did you forget they invented television? There's no need for kids to read books any more!"

We need a jawdrop smiley. There are no words.

Cami

« Reply #226 on: September 09, 2013, 10:48:02 AM »

In contrast, my MIL criticized us for buying our niece (her granddaughter) books for her birthday. "Yoo, hoo! Did you forget they invented television? There's no need for kids to read books any more!"

We need a jawdrop smiley. There are no words.
Seriously, I could write a book about my MIL. The only problem is that people would probably insist it was fiction.

Shalamar

« Reply #227 on: September 09, 2013, 10:58:06 AM »
Speaking of kids and reading, a few years ago my SIL saw that my daughter was reading a Goosebumps book.  She commented on it, and MIL said loudly "Yes, and I don't approve at all."  I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying "And this is your business ... how, exactly?"

Pen^2

« Reply #228 on: September 09, 2013, 12:04:26 PM »

Wow. "What an interesting assumption," is normally too patronising for my tastes, but I think here that would be perfect. Or, maybe a better response would be, "What a completely bonkers assumption."

This isn't quite as bad, but I've had a surprisingly large number of parents criticise me for teaching their children how to read analogue clocks. "Everything is digital these days," they'd say, in the classroom with an analogue clock in it, to the teacher wearing an analogue watch, less than a kilometre to the largest clock in the country, which is also analogue. Traditionally, schools here also always have an analogue clock predominantly placed outside the building. But, you know, apart from that, there aren't any analogue clocks, so shame on me. It doesn't even take up class time--it's when the parents are late in picking the kids up that I use it, among other things, to engage them so they don't run wild.

(Edited because apparently I don't know the difference between "parents" and "teachers"  :-[)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:52:38 PM by Pen^2 »

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #229 on: September 09, 2013, 12:37:22 PM »

...    I've had a surprisingly large number of teachers criticise me for teaching their children how to read analogue clocks. "Everything is digital these days," ...

That's really interesting.  I've heard the story (multiple times) the other way around.  In the state where I live and taught, second graders were expected to learn to tell time with clocks that had hands.  Many parents say "But why do they need to learn that?  Everything is digital today and it's so much easier that way."

Cami

« Reply #230 on: September 09, 2013, 12:47:28 PM »
Since we're on the subject of my MIL, here's one related to the story about the books.

We told her our short list of names for our then as yet unborn child. As it happens, all of the names had 3 syllables.  Her response:

"WHY would you give your kids such long names? You don't know if your kid is going to be smart enough to spell a long name. He or she might be a dope, so you should give them a short name."

My dh just gapes at her and says, "So is that why my name and my siblings names are only one syllable?"

MIL: "Yes! I was afraid you'd all be dopes and unable to spell your name, so I gave you all names of one syllable because I figured no matter how stupid you might be, at least you'd be able to spell your name."

Me: "Well, maybe if you believed in giving kids books to read and reading to them, they might have a better chance  at spelling words with more than one syllable."

Pen^2

« Reply #231 on: September 09, 2013, 12:51:52 PM »

...    I've had a surprisingly large number of teachers criticise me for teaching their children how to read analogue clocks. "Everything is digital these days," ...

That's really interesting.  I've heard the story (multiple times) the other way around.  In the state where I live and taught, second graders were expected to learn to tell time with clocks that had hands.  Many parents say "But why do they need to learn that?  Everything is digital today and it's so much easier that way."

Sorry, that was a bad typo on my part  :-[ I meant to say, many parents criticise me. Sorry for the confusion!

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #232 on: September 09, 2013, 01:29:58 PM »
My rule that my kids eat at least 2 bites of everything on their plate (meal) before they can have dessert.  "Oh, that's not fair!  If they're not hungry it's ok" says Mom as she hands them cookies or what not.  Right.  As Mom we kids had to make the clean-plate club to get dessert but as a Nana she has very few rules.  And for pete's sake, I don't think 2 bites of each thing is such a big darn deal.
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #233 on: September 09, 2013, 01:38:23 PM »
My mother just had a real thing about me keeping my kids on a bedtime schedule when they were little.  I was flexible around holidays but only by about an hour because well, I know how they are when they get overtired.  My oldest especially got really cranky the next day if he didn't sleep long enough.

From the time they were a few months old till they were old enough for Kindergarten, I'd put them down around 8-8:30 and it worked out really well.  And I tried to get them down for naps around the same time too.  It worked well for them and for me and still does with my youngest one. Because we keep a standard bedtime and a routine, I don't have to fight at all with him when it's naptime or bedtime.   No crying or anything cause he knows it's coming. 

But my mother just thought I was being to restrictive or something.  ::)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 01:42:25 PM by Piratelvr1121 »
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #234 on: September 09, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »
Seriously, I could write a book about my MIL. The only problem is that people would probably insist it was fiction.
I recently heard this quip: The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #235 on: September 09, 2013, 03:50:22 PM »
I recently heard this quip: The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense. >:D

"If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable fiction."

--Twelfth Night

;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Lynn2000

« Reply #236 on: September 09, 2013, 05:25:19 PM »
Since we're on the subject of my MIL, here's one related to the story about the books.

We told her our short list of names for our then as yet unborn child. As it happens, all of the names had 3 syllables.  Her response:

"WHY would you give your kids such long names? You don't know if your kid is going to be smart enough to spell a long name. He or she might be a dope, so you should give them a short name."

My dh just gapes at her and says, "So is that why my name and my siblings names are only one syllable?"

MIL: "Yes! I was afraid you'd all be dopes and unable to spell your name, so I gave you all names of one syllable because I figured no matter how stupid you might be, at least you'd be able to spell your name."

Me: "Well, maybe if you believed in giving kids books to read and reading to them, they might have a better chance  at spelling words with more than one syllable."

This is horrible, but really funny. At least she follows through on her convictions, right?  ::)

One thing I've noticed in this thread is how we often take pains to assert that we are NOT doing what our parents criticize us for! :) As if it would be okay for them to criticize if we WERE actually in the wrong, because as adults our weight/spending habits/career choice is TOTALLY still their business. What is it about parents that bring out the defensive in us...

My friend's MIL was pretty critical of her at first. The very first time she met my friend in person, she says, "So how long have you been living off my son's money?"  :o See, that's not a cool thing to say, even if it was true. I guess maybe what makes it ridiculous is how very untrue it was--that the son did not by any means have enough money to support a second person. And it was extra-cruel because at the time, my friend was out of work and feeling very depressed about it--which is what prompted his mother to make her remark. In actuality my friend and her BF were living in HER house, and she was paying her expenses from her savings. So while she would much rather have had a job with money coming in, she was by no means destitute or reduced to sponging off someone else. And you know what, even if she HAD been living off his money, they are both competent adults and that is their own decision to make.  ::) She is much more forgiving of her MIL than I would have been...
~Lynn2000

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #237 on: September 09, 2013, 05:27:47 PM »
When The Sweetie and I were living together but not engaged, we flew out to visit her parents. Her father has a bum knee, so he and I were lagging behind while she and her mom were ahead.

She later told me the first thing her mom said about me was "She's a lot older than I expected!"
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Pen^2

« Reply #238 on: September 09, 2013, 05:49:49 PM »
My DH has had quite a few nasty criticisms from my parents. His mother, on the other hand, is a much nicer person, but is socially quite clueless. The most egregious criticism she's made of me (and DH) was very uncomfortable.

She's a very intelligent gynecologist who is very efficient and good at her job, but in her normal life she has absolutely no social skills or awareness. She often means well, but comes across as tactless or rude. After DH and I been going out for a year or two, she apparently heard (incorrectly, it turned out) somewhere that people nowadays always use Unreliable Contraceptive Method (UCM), and so she assumed that I must therefore prefer to use UCM also. So, always efficiently to the point, she brought this up the next time she saw me: over dinner. When we had intercourse, she began, we were wrong to use UCM because of the many medical reasons which she explained very factually and in great detail. DH and I were so gobsmacked that we sat in stunned silence for a very unpleasant minute while she went through the biological mechanics of the whole thing before one of us managed to speak up.

I know she did this because she was concerned for us and didn't realise it was inappropriate (seriously, she has no clue), but having my mother in law question me about intercourse and various aspects in tremendous detail was the most uncomfortable I've ever been.

Elisabunny

« Reply #239 on: September 09, 2013, 05:54:57 PM »
Not a criticism but something they wouldn't let die:

When I was a teenager, a friend of mine was visiting and her creepy jealous boyfriend was calling to check up on her, again.
I answered the phone and (with, I admit, ill-placed humor) said, "Oh, hi Ted, yeah Sandy's here...we picked up a bunch of Norwegian sailors on the way over and we're having quite the party! Sandy, get off Gunter's lap! Ted's on the phone!" He a actually got mad at her over it.  (Extra weird, we're waaaaaaaay inland and totally not the sort of gals who'd pick up random men of any sort.)

But that's not the thing.  Apparently, based on that joke, my entire family decided that *I* was obsessed with sailors.  ???  They would not shut up about this imaginary preference. I couldn't even enjoy the old musicals I love if there were "sailor" characters without their weird comments.  It was very tiresome and soooo annoying.

Are we related?  I used to go out to the garage when my dad was fixing the car, because I was curious.  Based on this, my mother decided to joke that I wanted to be an auto mechanic when I grew up.  Not that there's anything wrong with that profession, but it wasn't what I wanted for a career.  She would. Not. Drop it.  I stopped hanging out in the garage :'( , but she still wouldn't stop. 

She did that a lot, actually- harping on something waaaaay past the point of it being funny.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...