Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 74729 times)

CrazyDaffodilLady

Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #285 on: September 13, 2013, 03:07:51 PM »
My maternal grandmother doesn't criticize so much as she compares. My mother has just stopped making poopadities for her, and we've all but cut her off at this point. Every time you show her something you've made, be it art or food or whatever, you get the same response.
I just have to know what you mom stopped making for grandma that needed to be censored.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #286 on: September 13, 2013, 03:19:04 PM »
My maternal grandmother doesn't criticize so much as she compares. My mother has just stopped making poopadities for her, and we've all but cut her off at this point. Every time you show her something you've made, be it art or food or whatever, you get the same response.
I just have to know what you mom stopped making for grandma that needed to be censored.

My guess: she misspelled "shirts"
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

Kariachi

« Reply #287 on: September 13, 2013, 03:55:24 PM »

My guess: she misspelled "shirts"

:-[ Nothing that clean. Sorry guys, I've been hanging out on less polite forum and it slipped past. I'll go fix that now.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature ó that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #288 on: September 13, 2013, 04:47:26 PM »
I remember my mother would not let go of my interest in being a nurse.  I decided that sometime I think in my junior year of high school but after struggling with the required sciences I gave up.  My mother for the next several years kept pushing me to be a nurse and I'd already lost interest in it.

She really just couldn't stand that I never graduated from college and kept pushing me to go back for a degree. Which I still haven't gotten.  But I would like to take some photography classes.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

JoW

« Reply #289 on: September 14, 2013, 08:16:47 PM »
The list is endless.  In Momís mind I canít do anything right. Iím supposed to do everything the way she does it. 

I wear glasses when I drive.  I donate blood.  I exercise regularly.  I donít wear high heel shoes.  I rarely wear skirts.  I rarely carry a purse.  I bathe too often.  I run my dishwasher too often.  I wash clothing too often.  I donít wash my trash can often enough.   I use the wrong brand of laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, hand dish washing soap, bath soap, and shampoo.

I donít wear makeup.  I donít curl my hair.   I eat breakfast.   I get up too early.  I go to bed too early.  I donít play the radio while Iím trying to go sleep.  I watch the news daily.  I donít watch her favorite TV shows.  I use my DVR to watch what I want when I want.  I have cell phone but not a land line.  I craft and have a room full of craft supplies.  I have a small freezer and keep it full of food.   I donít go to the grocery every other day.

And she wonders why I no longer allow her in my house and refuse to visit her.  We live 1000 miles apart.  I plan to keep it that way. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #290 on: September 14, 2013, 08:36:22 PM »
I think my mom expected me to be more like her.  She seemed disappointed that we had so little in common and perhaps it was just wishing there was some common interests we could relate on.  She loved to cook and was very good at it too, she also had quite a green thumb and due to her obtaining a horticulture degree, she could identify just about any kind of flora by genus and species as well as common name.

I like flowers, enjoy taking photos of them and enjoy a lovely garden but I don't get as into it as she did.  I also don't really enjoy cooking all that much and there are a few select items I deem worth spending more than half an hour in the kitchen for and I don't make those things often.  I do enjoy baking, though.

We don't even dress alike. She's very preppy, I prefer hippie/boho styles. She's an extrovert, I'm an introvert.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Maude

« Reply #291 on: September 15, 2013, 02:17:12 AM »
JoW   How does your mother know all those personal details about you?

Pen^2

« Reply #292 on: September 15, 2013, 02:56:02 AM »

I think if the mother came over and stayed overnight for a visit, she'd find out almost all of these. But they'd be picked up in conversation or just by hearing of interactions others have with JoW anyway (e.g. what she wears, when she gets up, etc.)

But it's still really, really nasty. And kind of silly: "You exercise regularly!" how is that not a compliment? "You eat breakfast!" is a very boring statement, and "You don't leave the radio on while you sleep" applies to probably 99% of people on Earth. Some people just like being nasty  >:(

pearls n purls

« Reply #293 on: September 15, 2013, 03:12:51 AM »
When I was college-aged, I was criticized for not being a flirt.

When I was about 17, a friend and I bought a rub-on temporary tattoo.  I was teasing my younger sister, pretending it was a real tattoo.  (Knowing she knew it was fake.)  My mother overheard, and started screaming at me that I was being a bad influence and that it was the same as if I offered my sister drugs!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #294 on: September 15, 2013, 07:22:14 AM »
I've heard the same thing; I don't flirt either.  I refuse to put myself in any situation that could make a fool out of me.

As to comparing a temporary tattoo to offering drugs, that is completely over the top.

JoW

« Reply #295 on: September 15, 2013, 10:06:01 AM »

I think if the mother came over and stayed overnight for a visit, she'd find out almost all of these. But they'd be picked up in conversation or just by hearing of interactions others have with JoW anyway (e.g. what she wears, when she gets up, etc.)

But it's still really, really nasty. And kind of silly: "You exercise regularly!" how is that not a compliment? "You eat breakfast!" is a very boring statement, and "You don't leave the radio on while you sleep" applies to probably 99% of people on Earth. Some people just like being nasty  >:(
Pen^2 is right.  Mom used to find out a lot about me in routine conversation.  I was proud of my first blood donation and told her about it.  I enjoy exercise classes and told her about it.  My glasses are on anytime I need to see anything further than my fingertips.  They are hard to miss. 

Before I stopped letting her visit she would typically visit for about 10 days.   In that time she would see me run 2-3 loads of laundry and see me run the dishwasher a couple of times.

Mom snoops.  I used to let her stay here while I was at work. She would use that opportunity to bring in and read my mail, clean my closet and throw out clothing she didn't like, replace my cleaning products, clean inside my refrigerator and discard food, read my financial files .........

Mom was born in 1931.  When she was a teen everyone "knew" that exercise was bad for women.  It would damage your womb, and a woman is nothing without a working womb. 

I moved 1000 miles from her when I got my degree and my first real grownup job.  We are still in contact, but just barely.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:07:58 AM by JoW »

Cherry91

« Reply #296 on: September 15, 2013, 03:09:32 PM »
This is pretty minor compared to many of the other comments, but my dad has one habit that drives me mad.

If my parents and I are having any kind of discussion where not everyone's opinions match, be it friendly debate or big blowout argument, if my opinion on the matter even remotely resembles my mother's, I'm "only saying that to agree with her". And nothing will convince him otherwise. The awkward thing is, as I'm very similar to my mother, yeah, it's often likely we'll have a similar thought process and opinions.

Funnily enough, if I agree with him on something, he never accuses me of just saying it to agree with him!

poundcake

« Reply #297 on: September 15, 2013, 05:33:57 PM »
I think my mom expected me to be more like her.  She seemed disappointed that we had so little in common and perhaps it was just wishing there was some common interests we could relate on. 
...We don't even dress alike. She's very preppy, I prefer hippie/boho styles. She's an extrovert, I'm an introvert.

Same here. My mom was popular, tomboyish, outgoing, flirtatious, a bit of a bad girl, and the life of the party. I was shy, a bookworm, loved pretty dresses and dolls, ballet, and had zero interest in boys, parties or flirting. So there was the constant battle back and forth of me not meeting her expectations, and her being frustrated that I was so unlike anything she'd experienced. She was also a very young mother and hadn't grown up herself, so she took a lot of her insecurities out on me. If I didn't want to play softball, make mud pies, or climb trees, it was a personal rejection of her. I was also a late bloomer, boy-wise, so it made me very uncomfortable to have her asking me when I was 10 and 11 years old which boys I liked and who I thought was cute. Bunnies were cute. Boys were evil!

Today, she still has a hard time not taking my differing interests as some sort of personal rejection, but we've come a long way.

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #298 on: September 15, 2013, 10:14:36 PM »
The last time I talked with my mother (about 2006) she told me she, "never interferred in your life."  Yeah, not for lack of trying.  Seriously, I was over 40 then.  What makes her think I needed her interference?

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #299 on: September 15, 2013, 10:24:09 PM »
MIL started telling DS when he was 5 that he should remember that there is a proper order for life to go in. You go to school, graduate high school, go to college, get a degree, a well paying job, buy a house, then you find a girlfriend and get married eventually, then children.

That is a dig at DH and I. DH joined the US Army just out of high school, then met me at his job after being discharged, we dated, got our own apartment, DH went to school and got an Associate in Science degree while we both worked, we got married and had DS, now I am going to school.

I overheard MIL telling DS that little life philosophy and told her that if she ever said that again, she would not be alone with DS ever again. AFAIK, she has not repeated it.

MIL has never gone to college or had a median income job, so I am not sure where her philosophy comes from.

Really?  I would've pointed out to MIL that had you done things in the "proper order," your DS may not even exist today!  I'd love to hear her response to that!