Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 92764 times)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #300 on: September 15, 2013, 10:37:45 PM »
It kinds of annoys me when I see babies with pierced ears. They should have to nag their moms at least as much as I had to do first!

lol

I got mine done at six weeks. I love.love.love that my mom did that for me. I have tried to get a second set for over 10 years and they always get infected, or in the last try, when they healed we discovered they were WAY too close to my previous set. (the infections I'm convinced come from workers at claire's/walmart not paying mind to any cleaning issues before piercing, the set that was off center the girl cleaned, and cleaned and cleaned before she started and pinned my hair high above my ears/laid a paper sheet over my neck so my ear was very, very clean.)

Next time, I'm going to a piercing parlor, the one that did my cousin's navel. It looks like a cross between an OR and a torture dungeon but nothing I've ever seen that they poked the hole in got infected.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

suzieQ

« Reply #301 on: September 16, 2013, 01:01:34 AM »
It kinds of annoys me when I see babies with pierced ears. They should have to nag their moms at least as much as I had to do first!

lol

I got mine done at six weeks. I love.love.love that my mom did that for me. I have tried to get a second set for over 10 years and they always get infected, or in the last try, when they healed we discovered they were WAY too close to my previous set. (the infections I'm convinced come from workers at claire's/walmart not paying mind to any cleaning issues before piercing, the set that was off center the girl cleaned, and cleaned and cleaned before she started and pinned my hair high above my ears/laid a paper sheet over my neck so my ear was very, very clean.)

Next time, I'm going to a piercing parlor, the one that did my cousin's navel. It looks like a cross between an OR and a torture dungeon but nothing I've ever seen that they poked the hole in got infected.

Do you think a piercing parlor would help me? My ears get these "lumps" in them every time I wear earrings. And DH can't leave them alone - he thinks he has to squeeze the lumps out through my piercings.  ::)
So I quit wearing earrings. Would a new set of holes help me out or is this an allergy? I've tried all types of metals and everything seems to cause these lumps.
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #302 on: September 16, 2013, 01:53:22 AM »
Technically not my mom, but MIL has been a mother figure to me since I was a teenager.

MIL doesn't let things drop. Last week was my 10 year HS reunion, and she still brings up how devastated she was that I blew her off on Graduation night. Well, her son and I were broken up at the time, I had a different boyfriend and I had about 10 minutes to see him and all my friends before my parents made it onto the field and I was expected to be with them for Family Time. So to have my ex-boyfriends mom crying was a bit awkward. I excused myself as quickly as possible. Still hearing about it.

Also, shortly after DH and I got married, we were with the extended family at Denny's. I had ordered hash browns, but they didn't come with the meal. I asked, in what I think was a normal tone, where they were. That morphed into hysterics, weeping, and rending of garments in despair over my missing hash browns. Yesterday we were at IHOP with MIL and the waitress gave her my pancakes. MIL said "Oh, she NEEDS her pancakes. You don't mess with HER pancakes." But it was hash browns, and I really wasn't that broken up about it. I promise.

Oh, and our wedding was fated. In HS, DH and I used to talk about getting married. We had even set a month/year. We broke up, he moved away, came home, we reconnected, and we ended up getting married in that month/year. It was destiny :). There were extenuating circumstances, but we ended up deciding we didn't want to wait any longer on Sunday, and we got married on Monday. So we were calling people asking "Hey Uncle Bob, what are you doing tonight? Oh, well, if you're not busy, I'm getting married." This has morphed into we had[/b] to get married that night so that it would be month/year. I finally started telling her that I didn't even remember that DH and I had talked about month/year as teenagers, and that I had totally forgotten about it until she, MIL, had brought it up.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #303 on: September 16, 2013, 09:30:40 AM »

lol

Lol. You need to get them done the way my greatgrandmother got hers done. By her father, taking a break from spreading manure. She brought him a boiled darning needle to make the hole, and he held a field potato behind her ear as a support.

No infection at all.... :o
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #304 on: September 16, 2013, 10:29:44 AM »
MIL started telling DS when he was 5 that he should remember that there is a proper order for life to go in. You go to school, graduate high school, go to college, get a degree, a well paying job, buy a house, then you find a girlfriend and get married eventually, then children.

That is a dig at DH and I. DH joined the US Army just out of high school, then met me at his job after being discharged, we dated, got our own apartment, DH went to school and got an Associate in Science degree while we both worked, we got married and had DS, now I am going to school.

I overheard MIL telling DS that little life philosophy and told her that if she ever said that again, she would not be alone with DS ever again. AFAIK, she has not repeated it.

MIL has never gone to college or had a median income job, so I am not sure where her philosophy comes from.

Really?  I would've pointed out to MIL that had you done things in the "proper order," your DS may not even exist today!  I'd love to hear her response to that!

I did tell her that. I am no longer allowing her to influence our lives. She does not have enough to keep her occupied, so she wants to arrange everyone's lives. ::)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #305 on: September 16, 2013, 10:46:04 AM »

Do you think a piercing parlor would help me? My ears get these "lumps" in them every time I wear earrings. And DH can't leave them alone - he thinks he has to squeeze the lumps out through my piercings.  ::)
So I quit wearing earrings. Would a new set of holes help me out or is this an allergy? I've tried all types of metals and everything seems to cause these lumps.

Have you tried niobium or titanium?  Piercing parlors carry those. I'm extremely sensitive to most metals - can't even wear stainless steel or gold. I have niobium hoops and a medical piece of titanium in my breast as a marker to show where my surgery was on mammograms.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #306 on: September 16, 2013, 12:31:15 PM »
Ok I got a ridiculous one this weekend, from my future MIL. Now, my MIL is awesome, we get along great but well...she's a bit of an odd duck (fine by me, I come from a long line of wack-a-doodles).

So Partner gets called in on Saturday to fix...something at work (this happens from time to time). While she's gone MIL calls me up to ask what we're up to for the day, just chatting. I tell her Partner got called in, and I just dropped the dogs off to get groomed and I'm cleaning around the house. MIL tuts at me and says "Again! You said on Thursday you were cleaning when I called! You girls clean way too much! If your house is a mess, it's a mess! No big deal! Now stop cleaning and go enjoy your life!", yes, she really complains we clean too much.

We do like our house to be fairly neat, and the easiest way to do this and to pick up and clean up as we go. MIL finally broke down a few years ago and hired a cleaning lady. According to Partner she never cleaned, that's just not what she did. Now, I say I'm a terrible housekeeper, I'll forget to vaccum, or I won't clean the bathroom, but according to Partner, MIL was more like, no clean clothes? Just wear dirty or buy some new ones! Dishes dirty? We've got paper plates! When the kids all moved out (they did a lot of the cleaning), it got pretty bad and finally they hired someone to come in and clean for her for a few months. She loved it and hired her on full time. She can't figure out why we don't just hire someone. We've talked about it, for the deep cleaning, but for right now it's just not something we want to spend money on. I feel better that she says the same things to Partner's brother and sister. They just say "We'll look into that mom" and onto the next subject.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #307 on: September 16, 2013, 12:43:50 PM »
Talking to my siblings. She gets very upset if she says "Well, your sister is planning a trip to Narnia," and I reply with:

"Oh, I know! We were talking about what places she has to see while she's there!"

Apparently it's unacceptable for my siblings and I to tell each other anything before we tell our mother. Never mind that I lived in Narnia and have tips about site seeing, food, language barriers, etc.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #308 on: September 16, 2013, 03:06:17 PM »
Mine sometimes would complain about me being too easy going.  Especially when it came to things my DH was doing, or they'd criticize him for not trying to control me more. 

DH would give me gift cards to Barnes and Noble for Mother's Day, then "kick" me out of the house to make use of it while he looked after the boys.  My mother would say "You left them alone with him?" This coming from the same woman who would say "I hate when men say they're babysitting their own kids!" My DH was perfectly capable of looking after our boys, mom just didn't like how he did it.

Or DH would buy something and I'd hear "Why didn't you stop him!" "I wasn't with him and its his money too and I don't have a problem with him buying an electrical fireplace. I like it!"

Or he'd hear "Why don't you stop her from liking THOSE movies?" meaning POTC.   ::)  I once told my mother while I was in college I don't believe in trying to control other people because you can only control yourself and your reactions to things.  She gave me a funny look. 

I just think it's funny. She grew up during the hippie movement and I act more like one than she ever did.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

lilfox

« Reply #309 on: September 16, 2013, 03:55:28 PM »
For our wedding, DH was the one to remember to get cash before we arrived at the wedding destination, so he had all the paper currency.  At one point I was going somewhere with my family and not DH, and I said something about needing to get cash from him.  My mom was very bothered that I had to ask for money from him, like I was on an allowance!  Uh, no, I just forgot to get a couple of bills earlier in the trip.  I had to assure her that I in fact had equal financial control over the money.

SlitherHiss

« Reply #310 on: September 16, 2013, 04:00:45 PM »
For our wedding, DH was the one to remember to get cash before we arrived at the wedding destination, so he had all the paper currency.  At one point I was going somewhere with my family and not DH, and I said something about needing to get cash from him.  My mom was very bothered that I had to ask for money from him, like I was on an allowance!  Uh, no, I just forgot to get a couple of bills earlier in the trip.  I had to assure her that I in fact had equal financial control over the money.

When we go out, I usually don't like to carry a purse. Unfortunately, I also like to wear things that don't have pockets. So, DH is kind enough to pop my ID and bank card in his wallet. Sometimes, he even carries my lip balm.

Library Dragon

« Reply #311 on: September 16, 2013, 04:06:20 PM »

This makes me  ;D . MIL & FIL were always challenging DH on why I was the only one with cash (DH doesn't like to carry any).  They also constantly questioned why I drove my mini van instead of defaulting to the man driving.  1. It was my car; 2. We had to drive over bridges and DH has acrophobia.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #312 on: September 16, 2013, 06:40:50 PM »
My mom has to consult with my dad on any expenditure.

She doesn't understand that I pay all the bills, make sure there is enough in the accounts to cover any expenses, move money, etc. I sit at a desk at work, I have mobile banking at my fingertips at any moment of the day. It just makes more sense this way!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #313 on: September 17, 2013, 01:21:57 PM »
My mom has to consult with my dad on any expenditure.

She doesn't understand that I pay all the bills, make sure there is enough in the accounts to cover any expenses, move money, etc. I sit at a desk at work, I have mobile banking at my fingertips at any moment of the day. It just makes more sense this way!

Just curious... Does she not get how you can pay stuff immediately with technology, or does she think you ought to consult with your SO before you pay something? I think the latter would bother me more... My mom gets this sometimes, from both her own mom and even from her same-aged friends! "You're about to buy something expensive--do you need to call and check with DH first?" ::) One, NO. Two, none of your business! (And by "expensive," I mean like, $200 of clothing. Not a car or something. Although my dad has frequently bought used cars, for himself, without consulting my mom, but that seems to work for them.)
~Lynn2000

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #314 on: September 17, 2013, 03:39:34 PM »
My mother thinks I should check with DH before spending any amount of money, even on bills.

DH and I have been together and operating in this manner for 19 years. He knows to put any planned expenditures on our shared financial calendar, so we both know about them.