Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 92785 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #510 on: September 30, 2013, 11:38:39 AM »
^^^ Shalamar,
I had nearly identical conversations with people when I cut my thigh legnth hair off to my chin.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #511 on: September 30, 2013, 11:41:48 AM »
Shalamar, I wouldn't hesitate to tell her.

Gail

« Reply #512 on: September 30, 2013, 11:50:02 AM »
Speaking of hair...

One of the things I have to complain about is that my mother didn't allow me to care about my own hair. From childhood she told me that my hair was special, and too thick and coarse, and I wouldn't be able to manage it when wet. And I believed her  :-[  She washed it, combed it and style it, and at 17 I had to have a screaming row with her to get to care about it myself.

The result was that I cared for it myself, but didn't know how. My mother refused to teach me, she wanted to do it herself, and I couldn't let her, or we would be at square one again. So I did what I could (bad ponytail, or nothing at all) and she spent every moment she could telling me how ugly my hair was and how pretty it was before  :(

I still have a huge complex with my hair, but I'm getting better. And I discovered a year ago that I can make little curls on it, and I like that a lot  :)
The last time I said what I was really thinking there was an "intervention".

DaisyG

« Reply #513 on: September 30, 2013, 11:55:44 AM »
They kept little boys in dresses until they were reliably potty-trained.  Easier to access the, er, working bits, you know.  And when a boy graduated to pants, it was a big ceremonial occasion.

Snipped the quote tree.

I wonder how long that went on for? I still have my Grandad's ayrshire whitework dress, and he was born in 1914.

At my uncle's house, there is a picture of my grandpa (b. 1925) in a white dress, white socks and black shoes and blonde chin-length wavy hair. According to him, this was his 'best' outfit; he wore shorts for 'everyday' wear as a child even in winter.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #514 on: September 30, 2013, 12:05:25 PM »

...   And MIL wonders why my daughters don't like spending time with her ... ::)

Shalamar, I wouldn't hesitate to tell her.

I agree with Venus.  I'd tell her too, in no uncertain terms!

Not only was she insulting your daughters over petty things, she was also implying that you were somehow "failing" your children by not 'teaching' them not to suck their thumbs, walk earlier and learn to use the potty sooner.  I'd not only let her know why the kids don't enjoy her company, I'd let her know that it affects my enjoyment of being around her too.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #515 on: September 30, 2013, 12:33:53 PM »
Sometime before Blanche and her wasband moved out of the city I took her place in a haunted house thing.  He was upset because she had recently cut her hair from mid-back to shoulder length.  When we were driving to the location somehow the subject of long hair came up and I asked him why men prefer long hair on women.  When he replied that it was so men could keep women in line he grabbed my hair.

I was too shocked to react at the time.  It was also not possible to exit the car.  He was such a Jeckyll and Hyde.

Huh. I was told the "reason men like long haired women" was because when women walk they "strut" and their hair swishes over their back when they strut and...

My mentor on this matter didn't finish, he got a glazed look in his eye, stared at my aunt, chuckled then told me to go find him another beer. God bless my uncle.

Other words of wisdom: If i wanted to keep my husband looking at me, not other women, I should leave the door open and brush my teeth with no shirt on. ::) He gave me this advice when i was several years older than when he told me about women and why long hair is attractive. Like most of his "ask a man" advice it derailed into him ogling my aunt.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Nibsey

« Reply #516 on: September 30, 2013, 12:37:21 PM »
Sometime before Blanche and her wasband moved out of the city I took her place in a haunted house thing.  He was upset because she had recently cut her hair from mid-back to shoulder length.  When we were driving to the location somehow the subject of long hair came up and I asked him why men prefer long hair on women.  When he replied that it was so men could keep women in line he grabbed my hair.

I was too shocked to react at the time.  It was also not possible to exit the car.  He was such a Jeckyll and Hyde.

Huh. I was told the "reason men like long haired women" was because when women walk they "strut" and their hair swishes over their back when they strut and...

My mentor on this matter didn't finish, he got a glazed look in his eye, stared at my aunt, chuckled then told me to go find him another beer. God bless my uncle.

Other words of wisdom: If i wanted to keep my husband looking at me, not other women, I should leave the door open and brush my teeth with no shirt on. ::) He gave me this advice when i was several years older than when he told me about women and why long hair is attractive. Like most of his "ask a man" advice it derailed into him ogling my aunt.

That's so sweet.  :D
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #517 on: September 30, 2013, 01:27:01 PM »

Well, at least we have to give him credit that the only person he was ogling was his own wife.   :)

Hillia

« Reply #518 on: September 30, 2013, 01:39:29 PM »
They kept little boys in dresses until they were reliably potty-trained.  Easier to access the, er, working bits, you know.  And when a boy graduated to pants, it was a big ceremonial occasion.

Snipped the quote tree.

I wonder how long that went on for? I still have my Grandad's ayrshire whitework dress, and he was born in 1914.

And Ernest Hemingway's mother kept him in dresses til he was 2, and pretty sailor suits after that

http://www.pbs.org/hemingwayadventure/michigan.html

At my uncle's house, there is a picture of my grandpa (b. 1925) in a white dress, white socks and black shoes and blonde chin-length wavy hair. According to him, this was his 'best' outfit; he wore shorts for 'everyday' wear as a child even in winter.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #519 on: September 30, 2013, 01:48:38 PM »
Drinking too much at a meal. As in, finishing a glass of water or tea before the entree comes. Then getting or asking for another.

I don't care anymore what they think, and that is a positive thing!

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #520 on: September 30, 2013, 07:52:28 PM »

That's so sweet.  :D
Aw! That is so cute! A bit pervy, but in a good way.

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #521 on: September 30, 2013, 11:54:50 PM »
Oh, the hair.  My mother insisted that I have long hair growing up.  Mine is fine textured and very straight.  It also has a tendency to snarl easily.  I got sick of trying to comb it out all the time plus it will not hold any curl at all.  Very hard in the 1980s, when big hair was in.  Anyway, it is very short now.  Like pixie short.  My mother would still say, "you looked so much better with long hair,"with a sad expression.  I wish I had the guts to say, "So I look like crap now?"

Pen^2

« Reply #522 on: October 01, 2013, 12:42:20 AM »
^^^ Shalamar,
I had nearly identical conversations with people when I cut my thigh legnth hair off to my chin.

I misread this as, "... when I cut my thigh length hair off my chin."

I thought you were Dumbledore for a moment!

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #523 on: October 01, 2013, 01:11:52 AM »
Not my story, but a lady I used to work with.  One of her father's rules was that they had to eat everything on their plate, including eating plain ketchup if they poured too much.   One time when she was around 12,  they were visiting relatives and her Uncle got two of the dishes mixed up and he served her the wrong thing.  He apologized and told her not to worry about it, but her Dad threw a fit and made her sit at the table until bedtime because she wouldn't eat it.  Then at bedtime he told her that God didn't love her anymore since she didn't listen.  After that he basically wrote her off and didn't talk to her.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #524 on: October 01, 2013, 06:57:22 AM »
Not my story, but a lady I used to work with.  One of her father's rules was that they had to eat everything on their plate, including eating plain ketchup if they poured too much.   One time when she was around 12,  they were visiting relatives and her Uncle got two of the dishes mixed up and he served her the wrong thing.  He apologized and told her not to worry about it, but her Dad threw a fit and made her sit at the table until bedtime because she wouldn't eat it.  Then at bedtime he told her that God didn't love her anymore since she didn't listen.  After that he basically wrote her off and didn't talk to her.
[/b]

That is appalling.