Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 95297 times)

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #540 on: October 01, 2013, 11:26:49 AM »
The black panties stories remind me of my own childhood. 

In the 1950s, a set of 'Day of the Week' underpants were a common gift.  Unless  they were for a very small girl, Friday and Saturday were usually red and black.  I was never allowed to wear the red or the black ones.

Please tell me I'm not the only person who suddenly had a "When Harry Met Sally" flashback.
"They don't make Sundays. *whispers* Because of God."
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #541 on: October 01, 2013, 11:36:19 AM »
Add me to the chorus of women who's mothers try and control their hair.

My mother has had variations on the same haircut since 1975. It works for her. However, it does not work for me because of made-up things like hair texture and bone structure. Everytime I see her, she sighs and says "You're wearing your hair weird again."

Yeah, because medium to long hair with layers and some form of bang is so weird.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #542 on: October 01, 2013, 11:48:58 AM »
I just remembered one of my 'CRUD MONKEYS!, I'm turning into my grandmother' moments that started off as a ridiculous thing she criticized us for. When we were younger (under 18, but not little anymore) she would take me shopping for clothes a few times a year (grandparents all but raised us). When it came time to buy underthings, I'd gravitate to the dark colors (having PCOS, my cycle wasn't always predictable, and dark colors showed mistakes less). My grandmother would always get outraged when I picked out black ones, though - she'd say "your mother would kill me if we came home with black panties!" I swore I'd NEVER restrict my kid's choices that way - it was ridiculous!

Then I took my (brand new to me) stepdaughter, then 11, shopping for underthings. She wanted to buy several pairs of black panties. I said "your mother would kill me if we came home with black panties!". Then I clapped my hand over my mouth, and put all six pairs in the cart. She looked at me like I was nuts until I explained the story, and since then (even now, ten years later) she teases me about buying her black panties.

Yes, I was lectured strongly by my mother and maternal grandmother that proper girls only wore white full-coverage underwear and don'tcha know that any other color or style will give you infections?

Later, when I was 25, my BF's mother told me the same thing. I ignored all three once I bought my own.

I have never seen a poster or booklet at the GYN that mentioned a correlation between underwear colors/styles and infections.  ::)

I think the only thing that might correlate is fabric type, which is why even some of the schnazzy ones will have a cotton gusset. But I have no idea how dyeing the fabric would cause an infection!  ;D

Carotte

« Reply #543 on: October 01, 2013, 11:54:02 AM »
Well, the dye or fabric treatment could cause a problem, but you know, underwear companies never heard of quality control and are more than happy to sell law-suit riddled underpants  ::)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #544 on: October 01, 2013, 12:05:06 PM »

Yes, I was lectured strongly by my mother and maternal grandmother that proper girls only wore white full-coverage underwear and don'tcha know that any other color or style will give you infections?

Later, when I was 25, my BF's mother told me the same thing. I ignored all three once I bought my own.

I have never seen a poster or booklet at the GYN that mentioned a correlation between underwear colors/styles and infections.  ::)
Colors and styles, no, but I do seem to remember reading that nylon panties, because they don't breathe the way cotton ones do, can exacerbate a tendency to yeast infections (thrush, in the UK.) 

I wear bikini panties, and my mother was horrified the last time I washed clothes at her house.  "Aren't those thongs uncomfortable?"   Because they were smaller than her granny briefs, they HAD to be thongs!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

nuit93

« Reply #545 on: October 01, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
I just remembered one of my 'CRUD MONKEYS!, I'm turning into my grandmother' moments that started off as a ridiculous thing she criticized us for. When we were younger (under 18, but not little anymore) she would take me shopping for clothes a few times a year (grandparents all but raised us). When it came time to buy underthings, I'd gravitate to the dark colors (having PCOS, my cycle wasn't always predictable, and dark colors showed mistakes less). My grandmother would always get outraged when I picked out black ones, though - she'd say "your mother would kill me if we came home with black panties!" I swore I'd NEVER restrict my kid's choices that way - it was ridiculous!

Then I took my (brand new to me) stepdaughter, then 11, shopping for underthings. She wanted to buy several pairs of black panties. I said "your mother would kill me if we came home with black panties!". Then I clapped my hand over my mouth, and put all six pairs in the cart. She looked at me like I was nuts until I explained the story, and since then (even now, ten years later) she teases me about buying her black panties.

I have a faint memory of a classmate telling me (at 11 or 12 y/old) that only girls who hade played scrabble (or gotten the box out, maybe arranged the tiles  ::)) wore black undergarnments.
It was either about black or red ones.
I wonder if that's the same thing your grandmother thought, that black is provocative, white is pure 'little-girl' suitable.

I think there's a movie quote about that also, from 10 Things I Hate About You.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #546 on: October 01, 2013, 12:35:25 PM »

In the 1950s, a set of 'Day of the Week' underpants were a common gift.  Unless  they were for a very small girl, Friday and Saturday were usually red and black.  I was never allowed to wear the red or the black ones.

Brings to mind a character from Miss Congeniality.  Miss Rhode Island confessed she once stole red underwear from a department store, saying "My mother wouldn't buy them for me cause she said they were Satan's panties!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #547 on: October 01, 2013, 01:08:23 PM »
It's funny because my mother and other female relatives taught me that black panties were a must under white and light colored clothes. 

Although it did take until I was out of the house for them to stop harassing me about wearing slips under everything...even in the summer.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #548 on: October 01, 2013, 01:11:05 PM »
It's funny because my mother and other female relatives taught me that black panties were a must under white and light colored clothes. 

Although it did take until I was out of the house for them to stop harassing me about wearing slips under everything...even in the summer.

I was always told beige undies for white clothes. I do remember a lot of slips when I was a kid. I needed one last year for a particular dress, and ended up horribly annoyed for a couple hours before finally finding what I wanted--most of the slips being sold were really "shapewear" and cost more than I wanted to pay, when I just wanted an inexpensive one with no shaping panels.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #549 on: October 01, 2013, 01:12:31 PM »
It's funny because my mother and other female relatives taught me that black panties were a must under white and light colored clothes.  ...

Huh?  Wouldn't they show through the white pants or skirt?  Or was that the whole idea.  There would be no question that you were at least wearing underwear!   ;D

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #550 on: October 01, 2013, 01:14:07 PM »

I was always told beige undies for white clothes. I do remember a lot of slips when I was a kid. I needed one last year for a particular dress, and ended up horribly annoyed for a couple hours before finally finding what I wanted--most of the slips being sold were really "shapewear" and cost more than I wanted to pay, when I just wanted an inexpensive one with no shaping panels.

It depends on skin tone. Some may need white, dark brown, beige...Whatever makes your underwear disappear next to your skin.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Vall

« Reply #551 on: October 01, 2013, 01:16:17 PM »

Please tell me I'm not the only person who suddenly had a "When Harry Met Sally" flashback.
"They don't make Sundays. *whispers* Because of God."
You're not the only person.  That scene was the first thing that popped in my mind when I saw someone posted about days of the week underpants.  I love that movie.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #552 on: October 01, 2013, 01:17:12 PM »

It depends on skin tone. Some may need white, dark brown, beige...Whatever makes your underwear disappear next to your skin.

Very true! I think it was beige in my case because I'm pretty pasty. I was told that actual white will kind of "glow" right through the clothes.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #553 on: October 01, 2013, 01:26:56 PM »
It's funny because my mother and other female relatives taught me that black panties were a must under white and light colored clothes.  ...

Huh?  Wouldn't they show through the white pants or skirt?  Or was that the whole idea.  There would be no question that you were at least wearing underwear!   ;D

My skin is closer in color to the black undies than white or beige :D

No they don't show underneath my white pants.  I wear Victoria secrets super thin microfiber panties.  I get them during the semi annual sale. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #554 on: October 01, 2013, 01:34:08 PM »
For me, the best colour to disappear under light coloured clothes is pink.  I'll wear beige but it is considerably darker than my pasty white skin.  I'll wear white over black, though.  Or purple or the stripped purple ones.  Or the polka dots.

To be cross posted in the 'Don't do that' thread:  Don't wear patterned undies under light coloured clothing.  Unless you want everyone to know what pattern your patterned underwear are.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario