Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 95465 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #555 on: October 01, 2013, 01:37:13 PM »
It's funny because my mother and other female relatives taught me that black panties were a must under white and light colored clothes.  ...

Huh?  Wouldn't they show through the white pants or skirt?  Or was that the whole idea.  There would be no question that you were at least wearing underwear!   ;D

My skin is closer in color to the black undies than white or beige :D

No they don't show underneath my white pants.  I wear Victoria secrets super thin microfiber panties.  I get them during the semi annual sale.

*smacking self soundly on head*
I'm so embarrassed.   :-[
Sometimes I forget little details like the fact that, like the panties, we wearers also come in different colors! 

alkira6

« Reply #556 on: October 01, 2013, 01:46:52 PM »
My ridiculous things kind of faded out as I got older and realized why some things had to be the way they were (medical issues). I do regret that they used the umbrella of "keeping me from worrying" to not tell me anything that could make accepting certain things easier.

One thing that remains  ::) in my mind though is my grandmother's tendency to complain about what I wear no matter what. Wearing sock? Your fee will grow fungus and smell bad. No socks? Your feet will get cold and your heels will crack.  Natural hair? It looks nappy? Straight hair? Ashamed of your heritage.

Isilleke

« Reply #557 on: October 01, 2013, 01:50:20 PM »
I'm looking for a (first!) job since not even two weeks. My mom came back from holiday this weekend and is already complaining that I don't do enough at home (there where at least 5 crumbs on the ground when she came back!) and that I don't do enough to find a job but instead am sitting at my computer all day.

Which would be fine, except:
I'm looking for jobs and sending applications as much as possible ONLINE.
I'm trying to better my CV by taking a course ONLINE.
She's giving me all these things to do and because I have to bike everywhere it takes me hours. Today I was doing her stuff (not even household related, which I wouldn't mind as much) until 5PM...

The other thing she does is demanding to know what it is I do at my computer all day and she gets mad about the time spent. When I tell her it's the exact same thing as watching TV for hours a day, she gets even more upset  ::).

How I wish I could magically have money and live on my own  ;)

Hillia

« Reply #558 on: October 01, 2013, 01:59:59 PM »
To be cross posted in the 'Don't do that' thread:  Don't wear patterned undies under light coloured clothing.  Unless you want everyone to know what pattern your patterned underwear are.

In the 80's I had some wild graphic printed underpants.  One pair had a giant red stop sign printed on the back.  My mom had to let me know it was completely visible under my slacks!

And now I'm all nostalgic for my day of the week underpants.  I thought those were just the coolest things ever!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #559 on: October 01, 2013, 02:17:12 PM »
Thanks so much for reminding me about Day Of The Week underwear!  Those were the first "articles of clothing" I ever bought for myself with my own money, in junior high, and my mother POPPED HER CORK about it.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #560 on: October 01, 2013, 02:20:01 PM »
I'm looking for a (first!) job since not even two weeks. My mom came back from holiday this weekend and is already complaining that I don't do enough at home (there where at least 5 crumbs on the ground when she came back!) and that I don't do enough to find a job but instead am sitting at my computer all day.

She's giving me all these things to do and because I have to bike everywhere it takes me hours. Today I was doing her stuff (not even household related, which I wouldn't mind as much) until 5PM...

The other thing she does is demanding to know what it is I do at my computer all day and she gets mad about the time spent. When I tell her it's the exact same thing as watching TV for hours a day, she gets even more upset  ::).

How I wish I could magically have money and live on my own  ;).

There are a lot of people who haven't been in the job market for decades and just don't realized that customs have changed, and most listings are online and most businesses don't want drop-in applicants. There are a lot of Ask a Manager entries about that phenomenon!

To be cross posted in the 'Don't do that' thread:  Don't wear patterned undies under light coloured clothing.  Unless you want everyone to know what pattern your patterned underwear are.

In the 80's I had some wild graphic printed underpants.  One pair had a giant red stop sign printed on the back.  My mom had to let me know it was completely visible under my slacks!

And now I'm all nostalgic for my day of the week underpants.  I thought those were just the coolest things ever!

I had Strawberry Shortcake ones that were just for the weekend days--Fri, Sat, Sun. I remember once we were low on laundry and I had to wear a pair on the wrong day and was just aghast. I thought I was doing something terrible!  ;D

whatsanenigma

« Reply #561 on: October 01, 2013, 02:25:09 PM »

I had Strawberry Shortcake ones that were just for the weekend days--Fri, Sat, Sun. I remember once we were low on laundry and I had to wear a pair on the wrong day and was just aghast. I thought I was doing something terrible!  ;D

Oh my goodness! What if you had gotten into an accident and the doctors saw the underwear labeled with the wrong day? They'd have thought you hadn't changed your underwear for several days.  Horrors!

:D

I really do love my mother-she is a sweet person who loves all of her children more than anything and would do anything for us.  I wouldn't trade her for anything. But statements like this (in seriousness) were one of her quirks while I was growing up.  She's mellowed somewhat now, though.

nuit93

« Reply #562 on: October 01, 2013, 02:30:17 PM »

How I wish I could magically have money and live on my own  ;).

I've noticed this generational phenomenon too. 

In our parents' day (well, I'm 32 and my parents were born in the late 1940's-mid 1950's), job hunting was literally 'pounding the pavement'.  Now even fast food and retail jobs have moved to online applications.  Internet access today is literally what a phone number/home phone line was in theirs-essential.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #563 on: October 01, 2013, 02:32:12 PM »

Oh my goodness! What if you had gotten into an accident and the doctors saw the underwear labeled with the wrong day? They'd have thought you hadn't changed your underwear for several days.  Horrors!

Yes, my Mom said something like that to me once.  I was puzzled.  "So if I were in an accident and got hurt, you'd be worried that the doctors and nurses thought I wasn't wearing clean underwear?  I would have thought you'd be worried about whether or not I was going to be okay."   :(

She never said it again.  :)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #564 on: October 01, 2013, 04:49:56 PM »
My ridiculous things kind of faded out as I got older and realized why some things had to be the way they were (medical issues). I do regret that they used the umbrella of "keeping me from worrying" to not tell me anything that could make accepting certain things easier.

One thing that remains  ::) in my mind though is my grandmother's tendency to complain about what I wear no matter what. Wearing sock? Your fee will grow fungus and smell bad. No socks? Your feet will get cold and your heels will crack.  Natural hair? It looks nappy? Straight hair? Ashamed of your heritage.

Are you my sister? :)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #565 on: October 01, 2013, 04:53:02 PM »
That's one of the things that I hate most.  I don't know about alkira, but if something is being kept from me and I know it, I'm likely to leap to the worst possible conclusion.  I get MUCH more upset than I would be by the bare facts.  I want to know, I want to know the worst, and I want to know it NOW.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Shalamar

« Reply #566 on: October 01, 2013, 05:35:51 PM »
The other thing she does is demanding to know what it is I do at my computer all day and she gets mad about the time spent.

That reminds me of when my parents came to stay with us for a while at Christmas.  At the time we just had a desktop computer - no laptop, and no iPad.  So, I went downstairs to the study to do a little surfing.  After I'd been online for about 20 minutes, my mother popped her head around the door and asked incredulously "Are you STILL on the computer?"  She was aghast when I told her that there are times when I'm happily surfing for hours on end ....

(Mind you, I should add that she and Dad have dial-up - yes, really - and therefore she's very mindful of every single minute they spend online.)

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #567 on: October 01, 2013, 06:09:02 PM »

I have a faint memory of a classmate telling me (at 11 or 12 y/old) that only girls who hade played scrabble (or gotten the box out, maybe arranged the tiles  ::)) wore black undergarnments.
It was either about black or red ones.
I wonder if that's the same thing your grandmother thought, that black is provocative, white is pure 'little-girl' suitable.

I have a much stronger than faint recollection of the headmistress of my school - 1200 or so pupils of both sexes, headmaster and (deputy) headmistress - telling us that we couldn't wear black tights. We were permitted dark brown or dark grey but not, absolutely not, not ever, black ones because only ladies of negotiable affection wore black nylons.

And nurses, pointed out one of the senior girls, politely.

Well, yes, all right, and nurses on duty. But nonetheless, black nylons were not worn in public by a respectable...

And policewomen.

Yes, policewomen wore them as part of their uniform but that didn't change the fact that...

And traffic wardens. Barristers. Legal clerks.

Yes, well, that was as it might be but...

And nuns.

And since this was Northern Ireland in the late 1970s and early 1980s, even a headmistress 40 years behind the times wasn't going to fall for a question about whether or not nuns were respectable. That was not a discussion that was going anywhere that anybody would want to follow it.

What she would have said if she had known that I was wearing stockings and a suspender belt rather than tights, I can't imagine.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #568 on: October 01, 2013, 09:14:48 PM »

I really do love my mother-she is a sweet person who loves all of her children more than anything and would do anything for us.  I wouldn't trade her for anything. But statements like this (in seriousness) were one of her quirks while I was growing up.  She's mellowed somewhat now, though.

My mother would kill me for telling this. She was extremely strict about white underpants only when I was little but gave up on me as an adult. One day after watching When Harry Met Sally together, I jokingly bought her days of the week underpants.

A few weeks later I get a call from my mom's neighbor that she's had a heart attack and I need to get to the hospital. I get there and she's fighting the nurses about getting changed out of her clothes. I ask what's wrong and she calls me over to whisper in my ear. She had run out of underwear that morning and, for the first time ever, put on a pair of of those joke days of the week underwear, without even checking what day it was. She was mortified to be caught in non-plain white underwear that might have the wrong day on it!

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #569 on: October 01, 2013, 10:57:35 PM »

My mother would kill me for telling this. She was extremely strict about white underpants only when I was little but gave up on me as an adult. One day after watching When Harry Met Sally together, I jokingly bought her days of the week underpants.

A few weeks later I get a call from my mom's neighbor that she's had a heart attack and I need to get to the hospital. I get there and she's fighting the nurses about getting changed out of her clothes. I ask what's wrong and she calls me over to whisper in my ear. She had run out of underwear that morning and, for the first time ever, put on a pair of of those joke days of the week underwear, without even checking what day it was. She was mortified to be caught in non-plain white underwear that might have the wrong day on it!

Frog's Bless your mother's soul.  That is the funniest thing ever :D