Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 90353 times)

daen

Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #570 on: October 01, 2013, 11:38:07 PM »
Further to visible colours of underpants: my niece wore black underpants for her baptism.
I would not have known this, except for the fact that she was wearing all white, and the baptism was by immersion.

I now know more about her choice of undergarments (cut as well as colour) than I ever wished to know.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #571 on: October 02, 2013, 12:00:59 AM »

Oh my goodness! What if you had gotten into an accident and the doctors saw the underwear labeled with the wrong day? They'd have thought you hadn't changed your underwear for several days.  Horrors!

Yes, my Mom said something like that to me once.  I was puzzled.  "So if I were in an accident and got hurt, you'd be worried that the doctors and nurses thought I wasn't wearing clean underwear?  I would have thought you'd be worried about whether or not I was going to be okay."   :(

She never said it again.  :)

Dad's mom would say this to him all the time. However, she cleaned her entire house (yes, vacuumed and everything) every day, and she didn't call 911 for my grandpa having a stroke because the people would track mud into her house and the neighbors would wonder why an ambulance was at the house.

We won't talk about how I feel about that, because the only thing that comes close to how I feel without getting in trouble with the mods is  >:( >:( >:( :'(

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Asharah

« Reply #572 on: October 02, 2013, 12:34:20 AM »
I would say some of the parents here are in desperate need of therapy for their control-freak issues.  >:(
Asharah

Otterpop

« Reply #573 on: October 02, 2013, 01:06:13 AM »
I would say some of the parents here are in desperate need of therapy for their control-freak issues.  >:(

Yeah, that's REALLY messed up.   :-\

Pen^2

« Reply #574 on: October 02, 2013, 01:42:44 AM »

Oh my goodness! What if you had gotten into an accident and the doctors saw the underwear labeled with the wrong day? They'd have thought you hadn't changed your underwear for several days.  Horrors!

Yes, my Mom said something like that to me once.  I was puzzled.  "So if I were in an accident and got hurt, you'd be worried that the doctors and nurses thought I wasn't wearing clean underwear?  I would have thought you'd be worried about whether or not I was going to be okay."   :(

Dad's mom would say this to him all the time. However, she cleaned her entire house (yes, vacuumed and everything) every day, and she didn't call 911 for my grandpa having a stroke because the people would track mud into her house and the neighbors would wonder why an ambulance was at the house.

We won't talk about how I feel about that, because the only thing that comes close to how I feel without getting in trouble with the mods is  >:( >:( >:( :'(

That is inhuman, cabbagegirl28.

I hate the whole, "Wear clean underwear in case you're in an accident and the doctors will see and judge you." First, I strongly feel you should teach good habits based on the merit of those habits, not from fear of ridiculous and unlikely scenarios. I should think the reasons for this are utterly obvious. And also, like anyone else with a drop of common sense and decency, the last thing you should care about if you're in an accident that involves doctors is what they'll think of your underwear. And how come no-one ever says the same thing about socks? "Wear clean socks in case blah blah nonsense." It's almost ubiquitous to remove the shoes during visits to A&E, especially if there's been a leg injury. Why the focus on the underwear? If you're going to be ridiculous, at least be consistent about it!

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #575 on: October 02, 2013, 04:45:48 AM »

I hate the whole, "Wear clean underwear in case you're in an accident and the doctors will see and judge you." First, I strongly feel you should teach good habits based on the merit of those habits, not from fear of ridiculous and unlikely scenarios. I should think the reasons for this are utterly obvious. And also, like anyone else with a drop of common sense and decency, the last thing you should care about if you're in an accident that involves doctors is what they'll think of your underwear. And how come no-one ever says the same thing about socks? "Wear clean socks in case blah blah nonsense." It's almost ubiquitous to remove the shoes during visits to A&E, especially if there's been a leg injury. Why the focus on the underwear? If you're going to be ridiculous, at least be consistent about it!

Not to mention that if you're in a serious accident, there's a good chance your clean underwear isn't going to be clean any more! >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #576 on: October 02, 2013, 04:56:49 AM »
Further to visible colours of underpants: my niece wore black underpants for her baptism.
I would not have known this, except for the fact that she was wearing all white, and the baptism was by immersion.

I now know more about her choice of undergarments (cut as well as colour) than I ever wished to know.

When my mother was baptised, she and the pastor both wore white.  Mom, thinking ahead, wore underwear that didn't show up or show anything.

The pastor wore white boxers with bright red hearts all over them.  They were also less opaque when wet.

scotcat60

« Reply #577 on: October 02, 2013, 06:49:56 AM »
Not to mention that if you're in a serious accident, there's a good chance your clean underwear isn't going to be clean any more!

And that is just what happpened to my Mum and Dad when they were in a serious car accident.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #578 on: October 02, 2013, 06:54:55 AM »
I have had a resurgence of clothing criticism for my mother.  She actually hasn't done this for years and years.

She recently started complaining that what I am wearing is making my breasts look large.  Well, they are large, very large. There is absolutely nothing I could possible wear to make them look smaller. My choices are to wear a bit form fitting and look great or wear slightly looser and look frumpy,baggy, and bigger.  There is no middle ground here.  Also, the more modest clothing I wear the more obscenely large they appear, so I actually look much better in V-necked shirts than square cut or rounded collars.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

scotcat60

« Reply #579 on: October 02, 2013, 06:59:40 AM »
Re wearing black or dark coloured panties. When I started secondary school, 50 years ago, we had to wear navy knickers, so wehn wee had gym, we wore white aertex shirts, and the knickers. They checked to see if you were wearing them at other times, and if htye were labelled with your name. After the first couple of years, gym was no longer on the curriculum, unifrom checks were given up, and one wore what one wanted in the way of knickers.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #580 on: October 02, 2013, 07:01:08 AM »

Not to mention that if you're in a serious accident, there's a good chance your clean underwear isn't going to be clean any more! >:D

Bill Cosby said something about that once.  "That's why it's called an accident! First you say it, then you do it!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

weeblewobble

« Reply #581 on: October 02, 2013, 08:24:33 AM »

I'm so sorry!  Was your grandpa OK?

weeblewobble

« Reply #582 on: October 02, 2013, 08:38:11 AM »
Not to defend the neurosis of people who don't want to call the ambulance because the neighbors will wonder what's going on, but -

Two years ago, my then 3yo son had a fever-related seizure which scared the living heck out of us.  We called 911.  The paramedics were prompt.  He got to the ER and is fine, not lasting effects. It didn't even enter into my mind that, oh, the neighbors will wonder why there's an ambulance at my house.

Two weeks after that, my friend, Carrie, came over for dinner.  She had an awful nose bleed.  I'll spare you the details, but it was a complication of ENT surgery and it was very very very heavy. We called the ambulance because we were worried about the amount of blood she was losing.  (She's fine now.)

Within 10 minutes of the ambulance pulling away from our house, we had neighbors coming to our door asking what was going on.  We'd just had an ambulance at our house and now another one? We denied any problems, which didn't satisfy the gossips and crazy rumors circulated the neighbors about us for about a year.  But since we've gone about two years without a 911 call, it has died down.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #583 on: October 02, 2013, 09:04:02 AM »

And how about this?

30 minutes after you put them on, those underwear aren't clean anymore!!

How are they to know whether those vague stains on your undies got there earlier today, or yesterday, or last week?

The dad of a family in my bldg with 3 little kids told me, when I commented that they must do a lot of laundry, "Aw, sometimes we just put them in last week's shirt--who's going to know that didn't get that food on them this morning at breakfast, hmm?"

I always loved that attitude.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #584 on: October 02, 2013, 09:07:36 AM »
Not to defend the neurosis of people who don't want to call the ambulance because the neighbors will wonder what's going on, but -

Two years ago, my then 3yo son had a fever-related seizure which scared the living heck out of us.  We called 911.  The paramedics were prompt.  He got to the ER and is fine, not lasting effects. It didn't even enter into my mind that, oh, the neighbors will wonder why there's an ambulance at my house.

My middle child had one of those once and while it didn't happen at our house but rather outside the daycare, we didn't have to worry about neighbors being nosy.  But even if they had, it really wouldn't have occurred to me to mind. (Daycare had asked us to pick him up as he was running a fever and as soon as DH put him in his car seat, he started having a seizure.)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata