Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 90652 times)

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #585 on: October 02, 2013, 09:30:52 AM »

Oh my goodness! What if you had gotten into an accident and the doctors saw the underwear labeled with the wrong day? They'd have thought you hadn't changed your underwear for several days.  Horrors!

Yes, my Mom said something like that to me once.  I was puzzled.  "So if I were in an accident and got hurt, you'd be worried that the doctors and nurses thought I wasn't wearing clean underwear?  I would have thought you'd be worried about whether or not I was going to be okay."   :(

She never said it again.  :)

Dad's mom would say this to him all the time. However, she cleaned her entire house (yes, vacuumed and everything) every day, and she didn't call 911 for my grandpa having a stroke because the people would track mud into her house and the neighbors would wonder why an ambulance was at the house.

We won't talk about how I feel about that, because the only thing that comes close to how I feel without getting in trouble with the mods is  >:( >:( >:( :'(

I'm so sorry!  Was your grandpa OK?

No. He'd already had the effects of Alzheimer's messing with his brain, and the two strokes he ended up getting pretty much finished his brain off. violinp and I never really got to know him well because this happened when we were 7, and he died when we were 12 the night before a wedding on Mom's side of the family.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

weeblewobble

« Reply #586 on: October 02, 2013, 09:55:34 AM »

Oh my goodness! What if you had gotten into an accident and the doctors saw the underwear labeled with the wrong day? They'd have thought you hadn't changed your underwear for several days.  Horrors!

Yes, my Mom said something like that to me once.  I was puzzled.  "So if I were in an accident and got hurt, you'd be worried that the doctors and nurses thought I wasn't wearing clean underwear?  I would have thought you'd be worried about whether or not I was going to be okay."   :(

Dad's mom would say this to him all the time. However, she cleaned her entire house (yes, vacuumed and everything) every day, and she didn't call 911 for my grandpa having a stroke because the people would track mud into her house and the neighbors would wonder why an ambulance was at the house.

We won't talk about how I feel about that, because the only thing that comes close to how I feel without getting in trouble with the mods is  >:( >:( >:( :'(

No. He'd already had the effects of Alzheimer's messing with his brain, and the two strokes he ended up getting pretty much finished his brain off. violinp and I never really got to know him well because this happened when we were 7, and he died when we were 12 the night before a wedding on Mom's side of the family.

I'm so sorry.  I hope your grandmother enjoyed her clean (redacted) floors!

cabbagegirl28

« Reply #587 on: October 02, 2013, 10:14:21 AM »

I'm so sorry.  I hope your grandmother enjoyed her clean (redacted) floors!

This was typical behavior for her. I hope that she eventually felt guilty for what she did, but my guess is she didn't.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #588 on: October 02, 2013, 10:22:27 AM »

Plus... how do they know that it wasn't clean right before your accident anyway! ;-)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #589 on: October 02, 2013, 11:21:06 AM »
The coloured panties tangent is just too tempting.

We have a lot of New Year's Eve superstitions. Three of them combine in a rather spectacular way.

1- Wear white on New Year's Eve to bring peace and good luck
2- If you are on the beach, hop over the first seven waves of the New Year (considering that it is often very hot and that people are rather tipsy at this point, this often results in a lot of wet clothing)
3- Wear yellow panties to bring money in the next year, green for prosperity, blue for serenity or red for love.

Have you any idea of how many young women wearing white cotton dresses are looking for love? Perhaps the advertising on New Year's Eve will work!

Back to your regularly scheduled, nutty parents thread.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #590 on: October 02, 2013, 12:01:13 PM »
The underwear reminded me of my mom. She always insisted on buying me plain white cotton undies in the six pack full brief style. Because you can bleach them! (women loves her bleach, bleach can clean anything, kill all bugs, and must be used) She also bought me plain, complete coverage, wire-free bras. Cause you can bleach them! And they're comfortable.

Before I started 7th grade I got word that my new school required "dressing out" for gym for 7th and 8th graders. I was going to be standing in a room of other girls in my plain white cotton underthings (that smelled like bleach). Oh no, no way. I started with the bras, because I really did need some under wire. Still white, but leaps and bounds better then what I had. Then I started slowly putting undies in the cart that had a few colored/patterned pair, then it was all colors, then hipster style. Still couldn't get anything but the 6 pack cotton, and she still complained they weren't "bleach-able", I was excited when I started working and could buy whatever I wanted.

I don't own a single pair of white underwear. I also don't wear white pants cause I've met me and I'd get them very dirty very fast. So it's a non-issue.

gingerzing

« Reply #591 on: October 02, 2013, 01:26:05 PM »

I also don't wear white pants cause I've met me and I'd get them very dirty very fast. So it's a non-issue.
Bolded  ;D
I own very few white things (No pants, only a couple dress tops or plain white t-shirts) because like you, I have met me.  I once had a new white peasant blouse that I had just put on.  And within 30 minutes I had marinara sauce on the sleeve.  SIGH.

Boy am I grateful for my folks after reading some of these. 
The only criticism that I got from family on a regular basis was my maternal grandmother who hated me in long hair.  I don't think she said anything to my other cousins.  Other than the hair thing, she was fab.
The last time I saw her, I knew how sick she really was because my hair was past my shoulders.  (Heck poor broke college kid = no $ for haircuts)  Grandma and I had a good talk and she said that she liked my hair the way I had it styled.   :'(  (she also was encouraging me because I had just had my boyfriend break up with me.  "Don't worry, you have time to find the right boy") 

Shalamar

« Reply #592 on: October 02, 2013, 01:35:48 PM »
Now, according to the relative, I'm putting TOO much effort into my clothes, emphasizing my chest too much and in general just look inappropriate.

When I was 20, my mum gave me heck for what I was planning to wear to work, because it showed a tiny bit of cleavage.  She said "Men will get ideas about you!"  Imagine poor Mum's horror when I retorted "Mum, I WANT men to get ideas about me!".

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #593 on: October 02, 2013, 02:00:13 PM »
Now, according to the relative, I'm putting TOO much effort into my clothes, emphasizing my chest too much and in general just look inappropriate.

When I was 20, my mum gave me heck for what I was planning to wear to work, because it showed a tiny bit of cleavage.  She said "Men will get ideas about you!"  Imagine poor Mum's horror when I retorted "Mum, I WANT men to get ideas about me!".

My mom wasn't really bothered by slight cleavage (like me, she's busty and knows a little bit can sometimes be hard to avoid), but she HAAAAAATES. ARMS. She was always insecure about her own, and insecure by proxy about mine, and on top of that there were situations for which bare arms maybe weren't appropriate, and they all kind of rolled into one constant action of trying to stick a bolero or sweater on me for every possible outfit. I associated it so strongly with her insecurity that I didn't figure out till much later, as an adult, that in some situations it really was about the venue, because the message was so confused and jumbled, and even though I'm a bigger girl, I was somehow born without the capacity to stress about my arms. ;) So I've had to figure out arm-appropriateness on my own as an adult.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #594 on: October 02, 2013, 02:00:59 PM »

We have a lot of New Year's Eve superstitions. Three of them combine in a rather spectacular way.

2- If you are on the beach, hop over the first seven waves of the New Year (considering that it is often very hot and that people are rather tipsy at this point, this often results in a lot of wet clothing)
3- Wear yellow panties to bring money in the next year, green for prosperity, blue for serenity or red for love.

Have you any idea of how many young women wearing white cotton dresses are looking for love? Perhaps the advertising on New Year's Eve will work!

I'm thinking stripes or polka dots are in order.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #595 on: October 02, 2013, 02:04:25 PM »

I'm thinking stripes or polka dots are in order.

Green and red stripes to attract a rich man!  >:D

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #596 on: October 02, 2013, 03:10:24 PM »
My ridiculous things kind of faded out as I got older and realized why some things had to be the way they were (medical issues). I do regret that they used the umbrella of "keeping me from worrying" to not tell me anything that could make accepting certain things easier.

One thing that remains  ::) in my mind though is my grandmother's tendency to complain about what I wear no matter what. Wearing sock? Your fee will grow fungus and smell bad. No socks? Your feet will get cold and your heels will crack.  Natural hair? It looks nappy? Straight hair? Ashamed of your heritage.

Reminds me of a couple of friends of mine. They're same sex, and a mixed race couple. ("Because we figured people's be so shocked by the race thing they'd forget about the two dudes thing." -actual quote.) Their oldest child is actually biologically related to one of them(high school, wasn't out of the closet yet) and they have full custody. When they adopted their 2nd baby(from China I think. She's Asian anyway. It's been awhile back.) they got a stranger to comment. "You should've gotten a black baby. Then both of you would have a matching kid!"

This is made weirder by the fact that their older girl IS half black. True she takes a lot after her mom(strangely, she REALLY resembles her other dad's cousin, a woman she isn't biologically related to) But really... Matching the kids?

cabbagegirl28

« Reply #597 on: October 02, 2013, 04:34:27 PM »

And Shalamar wins best retort award of the day!

aiki

• We can't all have Pippa's backside.
« Reply #598 on: October 02, 2013, 06:12:40 PM »
I have had a resurgence of clothing criticism for my mother.  She actually hasn't done this for years and years.

She recently started complaining that what I am wearing is making my breasts look large.  Well, they are large, very large. There is absolutely nothing I could possible wear to make them look smaller. My choices are to wear a bit form fitting and look great or wear slightly looser and look frumpy,baggy, and bigger.  There is no middle ground here.  Also, the more modest clothing I wear the more obscenely large they appear, so I actually look much better in V-necked shirts than square cut or rounded collars.

And here's your broken record...
"Mum, they look huge because they are huge. They're the genes you gave me. Cope."
"A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude."  - Oscar Wilde

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #599 on: October 02, 2013, 06:26:53 PM »
I have had a resurgence of clothing criticism for my mother.  She actually hasn't done this for years and years.

She recently started complaining that what I am wearing is making my breasts look large.  Well, they are large, very large. There is absolutely nothing I could possible wear to make them look smaller. My choices are to wear a bit form fitting and look great or wear slightly looser and look frumpy,baggy, and bigger.  There is no middle ground here.  Also, the more modest clothing I wear the more obscenely large they appear, so I actually look much better in V-necked shirts than square cut or rounded collars.

And here's your broken record...
"Mum, they look huge because they are huge. They're the genes you gave me. Cope."

Exactly! A few people suggested she was jealous.  I think part of it is that I've lost a ton of weight, but none in the chest area...so they are the exact same size volume wise, just more prominent since I now have a clearly defined waist.

I have had a few people who thought my DH would take issue with my prominent assets/clothing style, but he loves how I'm dressing.  Everytime I get new clothes he asks me to try everything on so he can ohh and ahh over me.   ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah