Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 74092 times)

nuit93

Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #600 on: October 02, 2013, 06:34:20 PM »
I have had a resurgence of clothing criticism for my mother.  She actually hasn't done this for years and years.

She recently started complaining that what I am wearing is making my breasts look large.  Well, they are large, very large. There is absolutely nothing I could possible wear to make them look smaller. My choices are to wear a bit form fitting and look great or wear slightly looser and look frumpy,baggy, and bigger.  There is no middle ground here.  Also, the more modest clothing I wear the more obscenely large they appear, so I actually look much better in V-necked shirts than square cut or rounded collars.

And here's your broken record...
"Mum, they look huge because they are huge. They're the genes you gave me. Cope."

Doesn't always work.  I'm a good 2-3 cup sizes bigger than my mother.

Carotte

« Reply #601 on: October 02, 2013, 06:48:02 PM »
I have had a resurgence of clothing criticism for my mother.  She actually hasn't done this for years and years.

She recently started complaining that what I am wearing is making my breasts look large.  Well, they are large, very large. There is absolutely nothing I could possible wear to make them look smaller. My choices are to wear a bit form fitting and look great or wear slightly looser and look frumpy,baggy, and bigger.  There is no middle ground here.  Also, the more modest clothing I wear the more obscenely large they appear, so I actually look much better in V-necked shirts than square cut or rounded collars.

"Mum, they look huge because they are huge. They're the genes you gave me. Cope."

And I'm a good 1 cup or more smaller than mine, but it's still her genes. And I hope mostly hers, breast cancer runs in my paternal line  :(

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #602 on: October 02, 2013, 06:49:17 PM »

So was I.  She never could accept that.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #603 on: October 02, 2013, 07:48:08 PM »
They underware reminded me of at time I made my parents look controlling. I always wear white socks. Back in HS a teacher told me I should get colored socks. I told her "I'm not allowed to wear colored socks (or underware)."

Well she was talking about this to a another teacher not using my name and not aware a parent could hear. Mrs. O (the parent) said "Hold on if you are talking about kherbert you should know that "not allowed" usually means "I'm allergic" she just gets tired of people arguing about if she is allergic to something."

Mrs O mentioned the conversation to my Mom. That is how we found out. (I'm allergic to many dyes, they irritate my skin when worn tight to the skin)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

aiki

• We can't all have Pippa's backside.
« Reply #604 on: October 02, 2013, 07:57:09 PM »

Which doesn't matter. Still her genes, or your father's, who she chose. Either way, barring augmentation or reduction, she had as much choice in the matter as you did.
"A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude."  - Oscar Wilde

magician5

« Reply #605 on: October 03, 2013, 01:10:51 AM »
I hate the whole, "Wear clean underwear in case you're in an accident and the doctors will see and judge you." ... If you're going to be ridiculous, at least be consistent about it!

Maybe because they think a big strong  guy like me shouldn't be wearing Hello Kitty boxers?
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #606 on: October 03, 2013, 02:07:09 AM »
I hate the whole, "Wear clean underwear in case you're in an accident and the doctors will see and judge you." ... If you're going to be ridiculous, at least be consistent about it!

Maybe because they think a big strong  guy like me shouldn't be wearing Hello Kitty boxers?

Baha! Little Brother (all 6'7, 220lbs of him) came off his motorbike at 50mph in his kevlar everything and when the ambulance picked him up (he only had a broken arm) he grabbed my hand (I was driving behind him when he had the accident and I called the ambulance) and said "Sis! Sis get me some other boxers to bring up to the hospital - I'm wearing pink ones!"

Mum laughed her head off when she heard about it. The funniest part, to me, though, was that Brother was so upset about the boxers having to be cut off him. Apparently they were the only ones that fit right under his leathers without, erm, riding up into an uncomfortable position.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

magicdomino

« Reply #607 on: October 03, 2013, 10:33:28 AM »
I have it on good authority that emergency personnel do not care about the state of your underwear.  They are concentrating on keeping you alive and minimizing blood loss.  A black leather bra and panty set did inspire a moment of hesitation one time, but then they went ahead and cut them off (accident victim).

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #608 on: October 03, 2013, 10:35:16 AM »
I have it on good authority that emergency personnel do not care about the state of your underwear.  They are concentrating on keeping you alive and minimizing blood loss.  A black leather bra and panty set did inspire a moment of hesitation one time, but then they went ahead and cut them off (accident victim).

My boyfriend still mourns the amazing pair of leather boots that had to be cut off him 20 years ago when he was in a wreck!

Carotte

« Reply #609 on: October 03, 2013, 10:42:16 AM »

And they probably have heard it all too, they don't care if you fell on it or knew what you were doing, they've probably seen the same thing at least once or twice (or they'll see it again anyway).
I wonder how often people get in the ER with something that could be seen as shamefull but outright say what or how it happened and not a lie to cover up what happened.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #610 on: October 03, 2013, 11:27:58 AM »
I remember a time I was in the hospital (not admitted, just outpatient surgery) and the nurse had to remove my IV. I was wincing in anticipation, remembering how much those things hurt going in but upon finding the removal rather painless, I blurted out "Well, that didn't suck at all!"

When we got in the car later my mother fussed "That is not how a lady speaks, you shouldn't use the word "suck"!"

I was not terribly polite in my response, I blame lingering anesthesia and teenagery attitude, as I rolled my eyes and said "Oh I'm sure she's heard worse and hey, I was complimenting her technique!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

TheWeirdOne

« Reply #611 on: October 03, 2013, 11:34:27 AM »
Not so much a criticism, but I'm curious: has anyone else ever been forced to put extra clothes on because someone else felt cold? My grandmother does this all the time, drives me nuts. It's summer, in Australia, and you want me to wear socks? :o

I occasionally get a comment about my low cut tank tops (see: summer, Australia) but I think they're just jealous  ;D

nuit93

« Reply #612 on: October 03, 2013, 11:37:42 AM »

And they probably have heard it all too, they don't care if you fell on it or knew what you were doing, they've probably seen the same thing at least once or twice (or they'll see it again anyway).
I wonder how often people get in the ER with something that could be seen as shamefull but outright say what or how it happened and not a lie to cover up what happened.

There is a forum somewhere for ER techs describing some of the crazier things they've seen and where they've been, um, inserted.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #613 on: October 03, 2013, 11:46:41 AM »
Not so much a criticism, but I'm curious: has anyone else ever been forced to put extra clothes on because someone else felt cold? My grandmother does this all the time, drives me nuts. It's summer, in Australia, and you want me to wear socks? :o

Yes!  :D  "Put a sweater on; I'm cold" is practically a family motto!
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #614 on: October 03, 2013, 11:52:37 AM »

Yes!  :D  "Put a sweater on; I'm cold" is practically a family motto!

Yes! I got this as a kid too. And later, as an adult, I got the inverse from my ex's mom: "Take that sweater off, I'm hot!" She liked to keep it about 50 degrees in the house and it bothered her so much that I would leave layers on. She'd flutter around the whole time offering to take them back to the bedroom for me. I think she thought I wasn't Making Myself At Home. Well, no, because my home would have been about 68 degrees! :D