Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 89952 times)

GlitterIsMyDrug

Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #615 on: October 03, 2013, 11:55:13 AM »
Not so much a criticism, but I'm curious: has anyone else ever been forced to put extra clothes on because someone else felt cold? My grandmother does this all the time, drives me nuts. It's summer, in Australia, and you want me to wear socks? :o

Yes!  :D  "Put a sweater on; I'm cold" is practically a family motto!

Ours was "It's freezing, you need a sweater!", "I'm not cold", "Well, I am, put a darn sweater on"...cause that will help how?

Asharah

« Reply #616 on: October 03, 2013, 12:43:53 PM »
Not so much a criticism, but I'm curious: has anyone else ever been forced to put extra clothes on because someone else felt cold? My grandmother does this all the time, drives me nuts. It's summer, in Australia, and you want me to wear socks? :o

Ours was "It's freezing, you need a sweater!", "I'm not cold", "Well, I am, put a darn sweater on"...cause that will help how?
Grandma was constantly telling me I was going to catch cold from running around the house barefoot. Didn't matter what season it was, because at that point I doubt she even knew what month of the year it was.
Asharah

Asharah

« Reply #617 on: October 03, 2013, 12:51:17 PM »

Yes! I got this as a kid too. And later, as an adult, I got the inverse from my ex's mom: "Take that sweater off, I'm hot!" She liked to keep it about 50 degrees in the house and it bothered her so much that I would leave layers on. She'd flutter around the whole time offering to take them back to the bedroom for me. I think she thought I wasn't Making Myself At Home. Well, no, because my home would have been about 68 degrees! :D
Boy, she must have had the hot flashes from heck.  >:D :D
Asharah

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #618 on: October 03, 2013, 12:52:23 PM »

Grandma was constantly telling me I was going to catch cold from running around the house barefoot. Didn't matter what season it was, because at that point I doubt she even knew what month of the year it was.

Re.: bolding, MIL is like that, and so is DH (we have hardwood floors.) I'm more lackadaisical (unless MIL is coming over or DH is nearly home from work). Kids love my parents house when we visit (long drive, so not often), because they're allowed to go barefoot. Of course the in-floor radiant heat helps! Mmmm... toasty floors... :)
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #619 on: October 03, 2013, 12:56:39 PM »

If I had a dollar for anytime I've heard "You're making me hot/cold just looking at you!" I'd be a happy woman. 

And not from a parent but my best friend, one that made me scratch my head.  She's a bit more warm blooded than myself and the first time I stayed with her, she was dealing with some hot flashes so some rooms of her house were a bit chilly for me so I donned a hoodie. 

She insisted I take it off cause I was making her hot just looking at me, and then said "You can layer on the blankets all you like, but please don't go around wearing a sweatshirt!"  ???
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Chip2

« Reply #620 on: October 03, 2013, 01:29:02 PM »

I've always been pretty laid-back about my kids wearing jackets. My mom visited me once and the boys (5 and 9 at the time) headed outside in t-shirts. My mom complained that they'd be cold and needed to wear jackets; I said "If they get cold they'll come get one." My mom huffed a little bit. The older boy came in to switch to a long-sleeve shirt but my mom couldn't convince the younger one he was cold. She huffed a little more, but I didn't even notice.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #621 on: October 03, 2013, 01:39:58 PM »
I just remembered another, related one. When I was a teen, if it was a cold day and we went somewhere that was warm inside (like a store), it drove my mom nuts if I took off my coat in the store. Not because she was worried I'd forget it, mind you, which would have been a legitimate worry as I can be quite absent-minded. Nope, she thought I was stripping off layers to show off my supposed figure for the males in the store!  ::) ;D

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #622 on: October 03, 2013, 01:48:58 PM »
I just remembered another, related one. When I was a teen, if it was a cold day and we went somewhere that was warm inside (like a store), it drove my mom nuts if I took off my coat in the store. Not because she was worried I'd forget it, mind you, which would have been a legitimate worry as I can be quite absent-minded. Nope, she thought I was stripping off layers to show off my supposed figure for the males in the store!  ::) ;D

You know, this is the kind of comment/assumption that makes me wonder about what SHE did as a teen to get male attention! It seems so far fetched that there has to be some kind of story behind it.

Kariachi

« Reply #623 on: October 03, 2013, 02:22:09 PM »

See, I get the opposite. The rest of my family is warm-blooded (Grandpa goes outside in knee-deep snow without sleeves) while I'm not only cool-blooded but also tend not to eat much. I also spent my early and pubescent years in Mediterranean climates. So we'll be sitting outside in the afternoon, 72 degrees, with my parents rolling their eyes over me having long sleeves on.

I'm so sorry that it was in the fifties when I got up this morning, it's October, and I'm still chilly. I'm not gonna freeze to death just 'cause you can wear short sleeves.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

MerryCat

« Reply #624 on: October 03, 2013, 02:50:58 PM »

My family was kind of the opposite, "Take that sweater off, I'm roasting!"

Also, "Why on earth are you wearing those big parkas? I'm only in shirtsleeves and I'm too hot!"
Riiight... because the temperature outside, in the middle of winter, is exactly the same as that indoors by the stove  ::)

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #625 on: October 03, 2013, 02:53:12 PM »
I saw a comic once with a dad and two kids all bundled up with the caption saying "Because your mother is cold, that's why."  I swore the artist peeked into our window.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #626 on: October 03, 2013, 03:19:18 PM »
Natural hair? It looks nappy? Straight hair? Ashamed of your heritage.
While this wasn't a ridiculous thing my father criticized me about, it is a ridiculous thing he said about someone else.  Dad is a  proud lifetime conservative and has nothing good to say about our president.  Apparently Dad can't even say something nice about Michelle Obama.  He said she was ashamed of her racial heritage because she straightens her hair.  :o

I asked him if that means I'm ashamed of my racial heritage if I get a perm.  He said that was a fallacious argument.  I said he was reading too much into a hairstyle.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Asharah

« Reply #627 on: October 03, 2013, 04:33:52 PM »
I saw a comic once with a dad and two kids all bundled up with the caption saying "Because your mother is cold, that's why."  I swore the artist peeked into our window.
I remember one with the caption and it was dad, two kids and the dog in matching sweaters.  ;D
Asharah

purplerainbow

« Reply #628 on: October 03, 2013, 04:48:06 PM »
Up until recently, my dad had a thing about me cooking to his standard.  ???

I'm 23, and live at home with my parents (saving to move out). To fit in with family routines, I cook dinner once a week - sausages, chips and baked beans. Simple, right?
OK, I admit in the first month or two, I burnt things a little bit, or got my timings a little bit out of sync. But I've not been doing this relatively long, whereas my dad has basically cooked it week in, week out for over 20 years. (Yes, we have it once a week.) I'm OK at cooking for myself - but it's co-ordinating different bits, when dinner is expected to be ready and dished up/on the table by a certain time, that I found hard at first.
So, up until recently, my dad used to sit on a bar stool in the kitchen, and watch me cook.  ::) And not only that, but he'd micromanage. Constant reminders of "do it like this, not like that"; "have you done this yet?" Aaargh! According to my mum, it's something he learnt from my grandmother, but aaargh.
Fortunately, he's stopped. I never argued with him about how best to do it, but I REALLY appreciate the fact that he apparently trusts me enough to cook a decent basic meal nowadays. I still do it how I feel best, it's just really nice not to be micromanaged!

To be fair though, when it comes to pretty much everything to do with my parents at the moment, I just suck it up and get on with it. Their house, their rules. I'll do things my way when I move out.  :)

Shalamar

« Reply #629 on: October 03, 2013, 05:19:23 PM »
Riiight... because the temperature outside, in the middle of winter, is exactly the same as that indoors by the stove.

Back in '93, my then-fiance and I were preparing to get married, and my grandmother was staying with us.  It so happened that the weather was unseasonably cold that week, and when Mr.S and I went for a walk one evening, I had to wear earmuffs.  When I got back to the house, I said "Boy, it's cold out there!"  Nana (who hadn't left the house all day) scoffed and said "No, it's not!"