Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 92760 times)

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #630 on: October 03, 2013, 05:20:09 PM »
^
purplerainbow....welcome to the forum!  :)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #631 on: October 03, 2013, 08:05:07 PM »
Not so much a criticism, but I'm curious: has anyone else ever been forced to put extra clothes on because someone else felt cold? My grandmother does this all the time, drives me nuts. It's summer, in Australia, and you want me to wear socks? :o

I occasionally get a comment about my low cut tank tops (see: summer, Australia) but I think they're just jealous  ;D

Not quite the same but I am SICK of being told to put a coat on when it is in the 60s or 50s (sometimes even lower 70s). I'm not cold leave me alone.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Library Dragon

« Reply #632 on: October 03, 2013, 10:05:38 PM »
I get cold very easily.  My mother would tell me to change if I wore long sleeves, take off a sweater, etc. I would respond that I was cold.  "No you're not," was her response.  Really? Why would I lie?

On the opposite end DSs are always hot. DS1 never wears a coat except as a fashion statement.  DS2 would wear his school uniform shorts and short sleeve polo shirt during the winter.  One summer when DS1 was a toddler it was a stifling New York summer and we were heading out of a store when I was stopped and told by two older women that he needed to be wearing a sweater I he didn't catch cold.  He'd more likely get heat stroke thank you very much.  No, I didn't say it but wanted to.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #633 on: October 04, 2013, 06:30:31 AM »
My oldest 2 were born in California and when the oldest was a little one, I took him to the commissary on a typical southern California day that was around 70 degrees.  I hadn't been able to find matching socks for him (these days I've stopped caring) so I just took him barefoot. 

These two women approached me telling me he NEEDED to be wearing socks. Mind you, he was in his infant seat on top of the cart and strapped in.  He wasn't going to be walking anywhere and again..70 degrees.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

XRogue

« Reply #634 on: October 04, 2013, 07:43:23 AM »
Not a parent story this time, an 81 year old paternal grandmother story....

I had just had DS the month before, grandmother travelled to Houston where I and my parents lived at the time, partly for a dr visit and partly to meet DS. She has her dr visit, I bring babe over that afternoon. ( this was suggested to cheer her up, the news from dr not having been positive).

The first thing out of her mouth about her very first great grandchild was that he looked like my mother's father (both true and a compliment.) the second thing was her saying "ooo Mama, where's my socks! I'm going to freeze!"

Yeah, in Houston, in July, on a 100 degree day.   :o ::)  NVM he would kick anything off his feet the minute it arrived, including a blanket, and still does, 21 years later....

Guess who didn't burn up the road taking baby to visit after that? >:D

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #635 on: October 04, 2013, 08:18:54 AM »
You know, I have to say that these forums have been very valuable to me (well, probably particularly my kids) in a way!  I'm a person who runs cold, and I know that.  So I'd probably have realized that the kids might not need to be dressed as warmly as I like to.  But because of all these stories about parents making kids wear warmer or cooler clothes than they're comfortable with, I've tried to be careful with not dictating what level of warmth the kids need to dress to, as long as they have options.  My 3-year-old will wear shorts and t-shirts on 50 degree days.  But she doesn't complain about being cold, so I'm guessing she's not!  Or maybe bouncing off the walls is enough to keep her warm.  :)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #636 on: October 04, 2013, 08:57:16 AM »
When I'm at home, I often prefer wrapping up in a blanket to wearing a sweater. For whatever reason, it feels warmer (or at least more snuggly), and it means I have a convenient spot to stick my hands when I'm cold. It does mean I occasionally have to get up to get things with the blanket wrapped around my shoulders like a cape, but I can roll with it.

My dad, on the other hand, is not okay with that. I'd be sitting at the computer with a throw blanket wrapped around my shoulders, or walking somewhere with the blanket not touching the ground, and he'd get annoyed with me and tell me to put on a sweater. I still don't know why it bothered him so much.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #637 on: October 04, 2013, 09:08:44 AM »
When I'm at home, I often prefer wrapping up in a blanket to wearing a sweater. For whatever reason, it feels warmer (or at least more snuggly), and it means I have a convenient spot to stick my hands when I'm cold. It does mean I occasionally have to get up to get things with the blanket wrapped around my shoulders like a cape, but I can roll with it.

My dad, on the other hand, is not okay with that. I'd be sitting at the computer with a throw blanket wrapped around my shoulders, or walking somewhere with the blanket not touching the ground, and he'd get annoyed with me and tell me to put on a sweater. I still don't know why it bothered him so much.

My dad always hated when we wandered around with blanket-capes too. I think he might have been worried we'd damage the blanket? Or just didn't like the way it looked? I don't know. I like it too, though, and I now have an item that splits the difference--it's a giant fuzzy hideous knee-length shawl. I'd probably have hopped on the Snuggie train if I hadn't already had this. It's perfect--and since my dog chewed a hole in it years ago, it also has a perfect arm hole to clutch my coffee through.

XRogue

« Reply #638 on: October 04, 2013, 09:19:46 AM »
Lol your dog sounds like mine....keeps doing handy things inadvertently. :)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #639 on: October 04, 2013, 09:34:52 AM »
Lol your dog sounds like mine....keeps doing handy things inadvertently. :)

She once chewed the bylaws to a horribly annoying and drama-riddled organization I had started to hate belonging to. I was trying to train her out of chewing paper, but I was so amused; I think I ended up crooning "bad dog" while petting her profusely.  >:D

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #640 on: October 04, 2013, 10:04:48 AM »
Now, according to the relative, I'm putting TOO much effort into my clothes, emphasizing my chest too much and in general just look inappropriate.

When I was 20, my mum gave me heck for what I was planning to wear to work, because it showed a tiny bit of cleavage.  She said "Men will get ideas about you!"  Imagine poor Mum's horror when I retorted "Mum, I WANT men to get ideas about me!".

My mom wasn't really bothered by slight cleavage (like me, she's busty and knows a little bit can sometimes be hard to avoid), but she HAAAAAATES. ARMS. She was always insecure about her own, and insecure by proxy about mine, and on top of that there were situations for which bare arms maybe weren't appropriate, and they all kind of rolled into one constant action of trying to stick a bolero or sweater on me for every possible outfit. I associated it so strongly with her insecurity that I didn't figure out till much later, as an adult, that in some situations it really was about the venue, because the message was so confused and jumbled, and even though I'm a bigger girl, I was somehow born without the capacity to stress about my arms. ;) So I've had to figure out arm-appropriateness on my own as an adult.
My mum was (and is) the same about arms. I've had it so ingrained in my head my entire life that I CANNOT wear sleevess tops or dresses, and that's left me so deeply insecure about it I just can't wear them comfortably in public. I do own sleevless strappy tops, but I always wear them under something else with sleeves (or with a wrap or a scarf pinned around my shoulders).
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #641 on: October 04, 2013, 10:10:54 AM »
Now, according to the relative, I'm putting TOO much effort into my clothes, emphasizing my chest too much and in general just look inappropriate.

When I was 20, my mum gave me heck for what I was planning to wear to work, because it showed a tiny bit of cleavage.  She said "Men will get ideas about you!"  Imagine poor Mum's horror when I retorted "Mum, I WANT men to get ideas about me!".

My mom wasn't really bothered by slight cleavage (like me, she's busty and knows a little bit can sometimes be hard to avoid), but she HAAAAAATES. ARMS. She was always insecure about her own, and insecure by proxy about mine, and on top of that there were situations for which bare arms maybe weren't appropriate, and they all kind of rolled into one constant action of trying to stick a bolero or sweater on me for every possible outfit. I associated it so strongly with her insecurity that I didn't figure out till much later, as an adult, that in some situations it really was about the venue, because the message was so confused and jumbled, and even though I'm a bigger girl, I was somehow born without the capacity to stress about my arms. ;) So I've had to figure out arm-appropriateness on my own as an adult.
My mum was (and is) the same about arms. I've had it so ingrained in my head my entire life that I CANNOT wear sleevess tops or dresses, and that's left me so deeply insecure about it I just can't wear them comfortably in public. I do own sleevless strappy tops, but I always wear them under something else with sleeves (or with a wrap or a scarf pinned around my shoulders).

I seriously have no idea how I avoided feeling this way. I'm like "shoulders, woohoo!" and have no idea where this came from, given my upbringing. Maybe it was just rebellion and stuck around. :D

exitzero

« Reply #642 on: October 04, 2013, 11:55:23 AM »
My mother managed to criticize me about just about anything I did, wore, said, etc.

One day I went to visit her, and I was sitting at the curb outside (steeling myself for the oncoming onslaught) and I wondered to myself how long it would take her to start criticizing me.

Just for giggles, I decided to actually keep a record of how long it would take. I glanced at the clock, remembered the time, walked up the stairway, opened the door, and...

"You're parked kind of far from the curb, aren't you?"

I burst out laughing.

Snooks

« Reply #643 on: October 07, 2013, 01:10:05 PM »
I have one that combines accidents and coats.  I honestly can't remember why but for some reason my cousins had arrived at our house in a different car from their parents.  The drive home was a fairly long one and my auntie was panicking about my cousin making the drive (despite my cousin having done the drive, and longer, many times before) just before they got in the car my auntie shouted "Well at least put your coat on!".  I wonder if my cousin still has that accident preventing jacket...

Elisabunny

« Reply #644 on: October 07, 2013, 01:13:58 PM »
I have one that combines accidents and coats.  I honestly can't remember why but for some reason my cousins had arrived at our house in a different car from their parents.  The drive home was a fairly long one and my auntie was panicking about my cousin making the drive (despite my cousin having done the drive, and longer, many times before) just before they got in the car my auntie shouted "Well at least put your coat on!".  I wonder if my cousin still has that accident preventing jacket...

Cousin obviously was going to be in an accident, so a coat was needed to stay warm in while waiting for the ambulance/police/tow truck.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...