Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 95191 times)

crankycat

Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #720 on: October 15, 2013, 05:50:34 PM »

I had Strawberry Shortcake ones that were just for the weekend days--Fri, Sat, Sun. I remember once we were low on laundry and I had to wear a pair on the wrong day and was just aghast. I thought I was doing something terrible!  ;D

Oh my goodness! What if you had gotten into an accident and the doctors saw the underwear labeled with the wrong day? They'd have thought you hadn't changed your underwear for several days.  Horrors!

:D

I have joked about making a set of Months of Year undies.    ;)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #721 on: October 15, 2013, 05:56:39 PM »
I am criticized if I call my mom twice a week (too much) or once a week (too little). I can't win!

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #722 on: October 15, 2013, 06:11:55 PM »
Once every 5 days, adding a day 6 every 2nd or third week.

:)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

andi

« Reply #723 on: October 15, 2013, 09:57:05 PM »
I am criticized if I call my mom twice a week (too much) or once a week (too little). I can't win!

I solved that issue with my parents by no longer calling.  If they want to talk to me they have to call. I can't hack it anymore

flickan

« Reply #724 on: October 15, 2013, 10:11:26 PM »

I solved that issue with my parents by no longer calling.  If they want to talk to me they have to call. I can't hack it anymore

I do this too for the most part though for me it was a way to wean my mother off of calling me all the time.  I'll call her once in great while when I have a question about something and she'll call me just to see how I'm doing and she doesn't seem to take offense to the fact that I don't call.  I would feel bad about it but it was stressful to be worried about so much.  The less she knows the happier she is.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #725 on: October 15, 2013, 10:12:39 PM »
Another "one thing on the plate at a time" person.  I remember DH's stepfather once asked me if I didn't like something that I hadn't touched yet, but I just hadn't gotten to it yet!  It was the first time it ever occurred to me that the way I eat might be unusual.  Honestly, in my case I'm just not paying much attention.  I take a bite of something and keep going until it's gone, kind of on autopilot.  I do have a tendency to save my favorite thing for last, though.  :)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Library Dragon

« Reply #726 on: October 15, 2013, 11:22:51 PM »

And I got a lot of crap from my fellow junior high students for my own advanced vocabulary. They thought I was doing it to insult them or make them look stupid, I meant no such thing! It was simply the result of having a high reading comprehension level, and liking to read about whatever interested me, even if it was advanced or technical stuff.
Well, we were even on the language front- I was rather sheltered, and couldn't understand a lot of the slang that they used, so that made us even. Only difference was that when somebody asked me what a word meant, I would tell them. My classmates on the other hand, would go to ridiculous lengths to avoid telling me what things meant, and this was years before urbandictionary.com (or even internet in most people's houses) became a thing.

Been there, too, as far back as elementary school.  It's a good thing I didn't cave.

Raises hand here.  I recall my family having a fit because I used the word redundant.  I was also wrong because there was no such word as "cur" and the word "muffler" only applied to a car part.

It still happens with others.  Teacher aides I worked with made would angrily ask why I used big words.  I had the nerve to use "fortuitous" in a sentence. 

In another case it was on a friend's FB page. She had initiated a conversation about a controversial topic. I added a comment agreeing with her, trying to be clear and concise in my reasons.  Another of her friends commented that you could always tell the uneducated people because they use big words.  Hmmmmm, no no words more than two syllables in my post.  Fortunately the friend took him to task. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #727 on: October 15, 2013, 11:34:14 PM »
How impertinent.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #728 on: October 15, 2013, 11:55:58 PM »
How impertinent.

My friends talked for years about how I was their hero for calling an especially annoying boy a "mindless sycophant".
I had literate friends. :)

weeblewobble

« Reply #729 on: October 16, 2013, 12:00:00 AM »
Mark me down as another "annoying vocabulary freak" which was what a classmate called me in middle school.  Normal people didn't talk like that, she told me, and boys didn't like girls who were too smart.  So I should just use smaller words and stop being such a snob.  My response wasn't very nice, but it was elegantly worded.

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #730 on: October 16, 2013, 12:54:11 AM »
My daughter has been shedding her socks (and anything else) since she found her feet.  One time my parents were visiting for Thanksgiving and wanted to buy the kid a pair of slippers.  "She has some.  She won't keep them on her feet." 

"But her feet must be cold."  They said.

"If she was cold, she would go and get her slippers."

Really, he kid hates having her socks on even now.  She is 16.  That's just the was she is.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #731 on: October 16, 2013, 06:19:16 AM »
How impertinent.

Where is the like button when you need it.

I just hate having to sensor my self. My sister is a "communications consultant" (she sends emails and does events and stuff) and she tells me off for using big words she doesn't understand. Considering her job, that just scares me.

“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #732 on: October 16, 2013, 07:04:00 AM »
Mark me down as another "annoying vocabulary freak" which was what a classmate called me in middle school.  Normal people didn't talk like that, she told me, and boys didn't like girls who were too smart.  So I should just use smaller words and stop being such a snob.  My response wasn't very nice, but it was elegantly worded.

I read a lot and so learned quite a lot and also had quite a big vocabulary.  My childhood best friend once told me that was the reason boys don't like me, cause I make myself look too smart.  I told her I wasn't going to change how I spoke and I didn't really want a boy who would only date a dumber woman.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #733 on: October 16, 2013, 08:24:38 AM »
Piratelvr, this subject deserves its own thread.  I suspect many of us can tell this tale.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #734 on: October 16, 2013, 08:30:32 AM »
I agree.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata