Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 87828 times)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #735 on: October 16, 2013, 08:34:13 AM »
Not my parents, but family in general used to criticize me for reading too many "big books".  My grandmother especially was astounded that I liked to read the articles in the encyclopedia set we had at home, and that I remembered that information.  Considering that both my grandmother and my mom have master's degrees and my dad has two bachelor's degrees, I would have thought it'd be obvious that a love of learning just runs in the family.  My grandmother has told the same story for years regarding how I read one volume of the encyclopedia all the way through, for no reason other than I thought it would be fun.  She makes it sound like I'd done the equivalent of stripping and running around the family Thanksgiving table - just totally shocking and out of the range of normal. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #736 on: October 16, 2013, 10:42:55 AM »
I will say at least that's one thing my family didn't criticize me for. I grew up in a family of readers and so it was always encouraged.  In fact when I got to college and finally had a more active social life, my dad would ask what I'd read recently and was disappointed when I had to admit I hadn't been reading much other than fluffy magazines.  He wasn't much of a literary snob, I'll give him that, but he felt there were better things to read than fashion magazines, which is true.

Though they do make for some good brain candy and often I amused myself by reading some horrendous advice in some of the columns and making fun of the fact that they considered $50 for a top "perfect for someone on a tight budget."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Shalamar

« Reply #737 on: October 16, 2013, 11:10:18 AM »
considered $50 for a top "perfect for someone on a tight budget."

Off-topic, but I once had a fashionista co-worker ask me if I thought that $100 was too much for her to spend on a plain white t-shirt for her 10-year-old niece.   She was very annoyed when I spluttered "HECK, yes!".

Jules1980

« Reply #738 on: October 16, 2013, 11:17:58 AM »
My mom always insisted I eat while I was swimming. She would seriously pull me out of the pool, make me eat a snack, and then go back to swimming. Because swimming makes you hungry and hunger in my family is something that must be stopped before it ever starts. To do this day, I have to bring snacks with me when I go to the pool.

My mom does go on and on about TV shows I watch. Usually when I watch the original 90210 (I have the first four season on DVD), she'll go on about how "You didn't even watch this when it was first on"...yeah...cause I was 5. To me it's one of those kind of goofy shows you watch and go...this was really a thing? Just good mindless TV. She always thinks I need to "challenge" myself more. Then she'll pick on me for watching a PBS special or listing to classical music. Make. Up. Your. Mind. By the way, she DVRs General Hospital (now that she has a DVR)...I mean so do I...but if we wanna talk mindless TV...

Ha!  She'd have a fit around here.  There is only about 3 shows we watch during their original run.  The rest we wait and watch over the course of a few days on Netflix.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #739 on: October 16, 2013, 12:35:13 PM »
I will say at least that's one thing my family didn't criticize me for. I grew up in a family of readers and so it was always encouraged.  In fact when I got to college and finally had a more active social life, my dad would ask what I'd read recently and was disappointed when I had to admit I hadn't been reading much other than fluffy magazines.  He wasn't much of a literary snob, I'll give him that, but he felt there were better things to read than fashion magazines, which is true.

Though they do make for some good brain candy and often I amused myself by reading some horrendous advice in some of the columns and making fun of the fact that they considered $50 for a top "perfect for someone on a tight budget."

I wish we had a laughing smiley.

When I started my advertising career I read nothing but magazines for the first four years.  When I read a caption in a fashion feature of New York and saw "Plastic earrings $88" I had to force myself to be amused at the idea of the fashion industry's determination to convince the public that this was an appropriate price.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #740 on: October 16, 2013, 12:39:40 PM »
Plastic earrings for $88???  :o :o

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #741 on: October 16, 2013, 12:50:48 PM »
In the 80s.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #742 on: October 16, 2013, 02:11:55 PM »
In the 80s.

If the earrings in question were vintage pieces from the 1920s or 1930s, I could see it.  Back then, plastic was a novelty that was often combined with precious metal and gem stones.  Bakelite jewelry from the period still can bring big prices.

However, I also remember that 'New York Magazine' in the 80s  was often referred to as 'how to be miserable when making 50,000 USD a year'. This was at a time when 50,000 USD was considered a magnificent salary. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 02:14:32 PM by Thipu1 »

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #743 on: October 16, 2013, 02:47:40 PM »

I was flipping through a fashion mag one day with a friend and saw "We created this whole look for under $500!" like they had saved lots of money. I showed to her and she goes "Give me $500 and a couple hours at Ross and I'll have a new wardrobe and your entire house decorated, and we'd still have money for lunch and margaritas". Fashion magazines...so adorable. It's like they live in a whole other universe.

Shalamar

« Reply #744 on: October 16, 2013, 03:04:29 PM »
My mother used to subscribe to the Canadian women's magazine Chatelaine, and we'd make fun of the fashion pages that advertised $350 skirts (this was in the early 80's).  An entire outfit usually cost somewhere between $1000 and $1200. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #745 on: October 16, 2013, 03:42:18 PM »
Retail markup on many fashion-related items is insane.  Since clothing companies don't tend to have large advertising budgets don't blame it on that.

For which reason at least my mother didn't criticize my ability to shop for bargains!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #746 on: October 16, 2013, 04:09:13 PM »
Not my parents, but family in general used to criticize me for reading too many "big books".  My grandmother especially was astounded that I liked to read the articles in the encyclopedia set we had at home, and that I remembered that information.  Considering that both my grandmother and my mom have master's degrees and my dad has two bachelor's degrees, I would have thought it'd be obvious that a love of learning just runs in the family.  My grandmother has told the same story for years regarding how I read one volume of the encyclopedia all the way through, for no reason other than I thought it would be fun.  She makes it sound like I'd done the equivalent of stripping and running around the family Thanksgiving table - just totally shocking and out of the range of normal.
::) I think most of us book-lovers have read the encyclopedia, since often when visiting relatives it's the only thing that is available to assuage that words-in-a-row addiction.  (Because you can only read a cereal box so many times!)  Although I don't recall ever reading one straight through, since one article would suggest other articles/subjects, and I'd be off to read that one. 

My childhood friend D was shocked when I went to her encyclopedias for information on something we were discussing, because she wasn't allowed to touch them.  Her mother said she might get them dirty.  And I was surprised that she never used them, because at least half the time dinner at our house was accompanied by use of the encyclopedia to settle something/get more information on a subject of discussion.  My daughters use the internet now for the same thing, with their smart phones so they don't have to leave the table.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #747 on: October 16, 2013, 04:20:42 PM »

I was flipping through a fashion mag one day with a friend and saw "We created this whole look for under $500!" like they had saved lots of money. I showed to her and she goes "Give me $500 and a couple hours at Ross and I'll have a new wardrobe and your entire house decorated, and we'd still have money for lunch and margaritas". Fashion magazines...so adorable. It's like they live in a whole other universe.
Like "How to Dress Almost FREE from Your Closet."  You take a plain white blouse that you already have, and pair it with a new skirt for $89, and new shoes for $99, and a purse to match for $110.  See?  You didn't have to buy a whole new outfit, so it was almost FREE!!
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #748 on: October 16, 2013, 04:31:31 PM »
Ok two more things I am criticized for.

1, I talk to fast... so fast they can't understand me.  Now in my defense I have ADD and Dyslexia and I can get pretty fast when I am excited. however my family seem to be the only ones who can't understand me. I deliberately talk really slow too. I always wonder if (my sister mostly) they do it to annoy me.

2, I get told off for being a know it all.  :-\ I read encyclopedias for fun and spend hours on information sites etc. so when something comes up (as I said above) I get really excited and people (mostly family) think I am showing off and trying to be a know it all.

I just find everything fascinating and love sharing knowledge. They seem to ignore all the times I have listened entranced while they tell me new things.

“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Emmy

« Reply #749 on: October 16, 2013, 10:23:38 PM »
Retail markup on many fashion-related items is insane.  Since clothing companies don't tend to have large advertising budgets don't blame it on that.

For which reason at least my mother didn't criticize my ability to shop for bargains!

I think many stores have regular prices that are really high so that when they have a sale, they can mark it down and make people think they are getting a great deal.