Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 74375 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2013, 03:53:56 PM »
I have naturally curly hair, thanks to my Dad, that Mom styled in ringlets when I was a kid.  When I hit highschool, I cut it short.  In university, I grew it back out but always wore it loose.  I got the 'Your hair looks like a rat's nest' comment many times.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2013, 03:56:04 PM »
...   So at one point I was taking 300 level college German, first year french, and second year spanish.  I brought home a report card with 7 A's and 1 B (including the college courses I was actually taking at a university).  I was told that with grades like that I might as well give up because I was "Going to be flipping burgers for the rest of your bleeping life" ...

I started playing the cello as a 5 year old, because my parents wanted me to play an instrument and I was given the choice of the cello, Violin, or viola.  I picked cello.  ...  I was told "You picked it and you have to stick with it at least until you are 18."  ...

Seven A's and one B and you're going to be flipping burgers for the rest of your life?  Good grief!  Same with insisting that you continue to play an instrument you "chose" (of the three choices they gave you) until you're eighteen, even if you've grown to hate it?

I have to ask.  You don't have to answer.  But were your parents the same way with their own lives and with their own choices as they were with yours?   :o

emjo306

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2013, 04:03:48 PM »
When I was a child my mother would always get on my case about shuffling my feet - she's really not a critical woman, but she would always nag me about the shuffling. I resented having to thinking about "picking up my feet" and didn't understand why it was such a big deal.

I grew out of the shuffling...but now my oldest DS is a shuffler! I admit, the sound of his shoes scraping across the ground is irritating. But, I refrain from saying anything.

DollyPond

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2013, 04:03:56 PM »
Wearing anything but tiny earrings will make people think badly of you.

My mother's version of this was:

Pierced ears disfigure your face  :o

This is why my birthday present to myself for my 16th birthday was to get my ears pierced because you didn't need a parent's signature at that age. A few years later when I graduated from college she happily gave me diamond earrings for pierced ears - go figure!

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2013, 04:14:16 PM »
When I graduated from high school and wanted to study astronomy, I was told that "girls don't study science," and that I should be a teacher or a nurse.  While I admire both of those professions, I absolutely am not emotionally suited to either of them. 

My mother was always telling me, "Put that book down and go do something!"  She wasn't a reader, and apparently felt that reading wasn't doing anything. 

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2013, 04:32:04 PM »
Oh, several things.  My favorite:  I was not feminine enough to get a boyfriend.  Yeah, I was 15 at the time.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2013, 04:36:10 PM »
Oh, that one's fun!  I got the "No one's going to marry a cripple."  From my grandmother, who was born in 1902.  Never took her seriously as I never knew her to have a brain to mouth filter in the first place.

Cyradis

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2013, 04:44:40 PM »
When I graduated from high school and wanted to study astronomy, I was told that "girls don't study science," and that I should be a teacher or a nurse.  While I admire both of those professions, I absolutely am not emotionally suited to either of them. 

My mother was always telling me, "Put that book down and go do something!"  She wasn't a reader, and apparently felt that reading wasn't doing anything.

But don't nurses have to study science?  :o Or are chemistry and biology on some sort of "acceptable sciences for girls" list.

My mother has always been affronted that my standards of tidiness are lower than hers. She's not obnoxious about it but I know it mystifies her that I leave clothes draped over chairs and don't always make my bed. The clothes and linen are clean and I can always close my door. Every so often she goes into a "but you grew up in my house" speech.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2013, 04:47:39 PM »
She doesn't do it often, but...my mother seems to have very weird ideas about my money. :-\

She's altruistic to a fault (and for this, I blame my sister), so she NEVER buys herself anything, instead choosing to buy things for other family members instead. Well, since I've got my own income now, I like to return the favor and buy HER things - and sometimes that'll set her off on a rant tangent about how I should spend my money on ME, I don't need to be buying her things, she's never going to use what I got her, why am I wasting all my money on HER. Etc etc. (She has gotten better about it, and she'll even ask me to buy her small things every so often now. But god forbid I buy her anything over $10...)

The other bit of it, and this is the one that gets me, is that she tries to tell me how to spend my own money on myself, then turns around and rips into me for spending so much. I bought myself a new Nook tablet not too long ago, and while I knew it'd be perfectly useful and was worth it, I was still wincing over the price ($179 plus tax/accessories...I ended up spending over $200 on that) but she assured me that yes, I did need it, my old Nook was dying and had no backlight so it wasn't very useful anyway, and she was sure I'd use it quite often. Well, she was right, but it was what she did as we were walking out of the store that hurt.

She turned to me and, very accusingly, asked me why I'd spent so much money and how could I POSSIBLY rationalize spending that much and really why was I even allowed to have money anyway if I couldn't be responsible with it?

I wish I'd thought to turn around, go back to the store and return the tablet, but I was just too shocked and upset. *sigh* And I do use it, so it was worth it, but...first she encouraged me to buy it, then tore into me for buying it? I don't get it.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2013, 05:02:41 PM »
^^^  Maybe she had no idea what they actually cost when she was encouraging you to buy a new one, so was surprised that they cost that much and then regretted telling you to go ahead and get it.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2013, 05:08:06 PM »
Do your hair!

Stop coloring your hair!

You're too old to have long hair!

(Stuff it, Ma.). I didn't inherit her hair.

From my mother: Coloring your hair is lying to the world.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2013, 05:08:54 PM »
^^^  Maybe she had no idea what they actually cost when she was encouraging you to buy a new one, so was surprised that they cost that much and then regretted telling you to go ahead and get it.

We'd been looking at them the previous week actually, I would have bought it then except I hadn't got paid yet. And she was very encouraging up till the moment we walked out of the store. It was just so sudden, I'm not entirely sure what happened. :-\

Funnily enough, my mother doesn't complain about my habit of dyeing my hair unnatural shades of red. In her opinion, it could be worse, at least I'm not doing drugs or working a street corner!
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

veronaz

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2013, 05:12:19 PM »
She turned to me and, very accusingly, asked me why I'd spent so much money and how could I POSSIBLY rationalize spending that much and really why was I even allowed to have money anyway if I couldn't be responsible with it?

I wish I'd thought to turn around, go back to the store and return the tablet, but I was just too shocked and upset. *sigh* And I do use it, so it was worth it, but...first she encouraged me to buy it, then tore into me for buying it? I don't get it.

Wow, Liliane, this is really. . . . bizarre.  btw I would never consider turning around returning it.  It IS your money.  If you want to roll up $200 and set it on fire, that's your business. 

Jocelyn

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2013, 05:17:04 PM »
Wearing anything but tiny earrings will make people think badly of you.

My mother's version of this was:

Pierced ears disfigure your face  :o

This is why my birthday present to myself for my 16th birthday was to get my ears pierced because you didn't need a parent's signature at that age. A few years later when I graduated from college she happily gave me diamond earrings for pierced ears - go figure!
Mom made me wait until I was entering high school to get mine pieced. In her childhood, only old ladies or..uh...women people thought badly of, had pierced ears, and she was sure it was just a passing fad I would regret later. OK, I can give her that. The ironic part was that after I had to wait 2 years to get my ears pierced...she had HERS pierced within a year or two.
I stand to inherit some nice earrings that I gave her over the years.  ::)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2013, 05:28:02 PM »
Do your hair!

Stop coloring your hair!

You're too old to have long hair!

(Stuff it, Ma.). I didn't inherit her hair.

I've heard this before.  And I've said "I'm not a big fan of matchy matchy decoration"
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/