Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 74830 times)

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2013, 03:53:46 AM »
My hair is wrong too. I am "too old" to wear it long. Also I am a henna redhead, and was informed I shouldn't use henna because it "was an Arab discovery!" Please, no offense meant.

My response? "Guess we'll have to give up using zeroes then!"

Genius!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #106 on: September 04, 2013, 04:49:57 AM »
I know my Mom worried about me not having many friends like my more social cousin and Sister - but in part she blamed herself and Dad for not picking up  on the bullying and doing something earlier. I simply don't trust many people.

All the adults in my life were frustrated by the fact I could correctly read words, and use them in conversation but couldn't spell to save my life. I was even tested in elementary and JH - but my reading level was too high for me to have any LD having to do with language according to the criteria being used. (Actually If I was in school today I wouldn't qualify as LD in Texas. Neither would my sister or our dyslexic cousins. WE could be 504ed but not receive SPED interventions)

One comment that makes me want to take a clue by 4 to my sister and cousins "I hope "child" gets his/her smarts from his/her  father not me." Now my cousins' husbands and my BIL are smart guys don't get me wrong. Thing is Sis and cousins graduated in the top half of their competitive High Schools, went to good universities (where we all were diagnosed) and graduated with decent grades - while they were all reading on a FOURTH - FIFTH grade level. They don't get the massive intelligence and coping skills behind accomplishing that. For them not reading for pleasure = not smart.

Considering how much reading one does for any subject, how on earth is it possible to graduate college with that reading level?

XRogue

« Reply #107 on: September 04, 2013, 07:52:16 AM »
My hair is wrong too. I am "too old" to wear it long. Also I am a henna redhead, and was informed I shouldn't use henna because it "was an Arab discovery!" Please, no offense meant.

Genius!

Thank you, Bethalize. :) What makes that even funnier was the fact Dad is an engineer. :p Yes, I'm a smartalec.

StarFaerie

« Reply #108 on: September 04, 2013, 08:16:54 AM »

Genius!

Thank you, Bethalize. :) What makes that even funnier was the fact Dad is an engineer. :p Yes, I'm a smartalec.

The only issue is that 0 was an Indian/Hindi innovation not Arab.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:05:31 PM by StarFaerie »

Jones

« Reply #109 on: September 04, 2013, 08:32:29 AM »
I am very lucky that I put my foot down as an adult and don't get anymore of this.

However, as a teen, I was told that my influence was causing younger (adopted) siblings to act up, they would try to one-up me so someday when they were selling themselves for heroin money it would be My Fault. Yeah my psych had to really help me with that one. The ironic thing was, I had a 3.9 GPA, I went to all of two parties where there was alcohol my entire teenage life, and one of those parties got busted but I was not in trouble because I passed the breathalyzer test. I didn't play scrabble until I was getting ready to graduate high school, and as young as my parents were when they married I wasn't actually much younger, I just didn't have a ring on my finger. So all my sibs would have had to do to one-up me was actually drink a beer or start dating early...None of them have ended up selling themselves for drugs at this point, though I do have a brother I wrote about in the scammers thread who is serving time, thankfully no one blames me for his many, many wrong choices. He has fetal alcohol syndrome, you see, so we all need to forgive him again and again (ha) because he can't make good choices, totally incapable.

I also got the "quit sticking your butt out" thing, after several times I finally said "That's how my butt is built!!" and Mom knocked it off. Note, it did look funny, I had a thigh gap and a bedonk-a-donk all at the same time, and her comments didn't help. There were little things about skin and hair...we'd dye our hair together every 6 months or so from the time I was 10 (this was after several failed attempts at a perm when I was 7) until Mom got her colors mixed up and I ended up with gorgeous burgundy hair at 16. I loved it but she wasn't too happy.

The time I sprinted faster than my track-running sister and beat her to goal, didn't really rub her face in it or anything but apparently it really hurt her feelings because Mom lectured me about how my sister works so hard, and I'm naturally fast but should let her win because she actually works for it...that one was a bit strange to me even back then.

Again, very grateful that comments have mostly stopped as I've become an adult. I had to mostly cut off my FOO for about a year (holiday contact only) and after that we don't talk about controversial topics (my not taking the kids to church, my tattoos, DH and my occasional alcoholic beverages and daily coffee, to make a short list). Unfortunately I don't always hear about the big things that happen in my sib's lives, but as they grow up and realize they can reach out to me themselves it's been helping.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2013, 08:39:30 AM »
However, as a teen, I was told that my influence was causing younger (adopted) siblings to act up

Ha, yeah, I got in trouble anytime one of the younger sibs cussed. I must have taught them the words, you see. Protestations that they had learned the words from movies (or their own friends) fell on deaf ears.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2013, 09:56:01 AM »
I can't believe I left this out  of my first post on here.

BG:  my parents  had a difficult  marriage and NASTY divorce.  My mom still  criticizes me for having a relationship or even speaking to  my father.  I totally get why she doesn't, but she has been informed she cannot dictate to me who I can speak to.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »
More petty criticism from Stamp Dad (O.P.):

Recently I sent Dad a box of books.  Due to complaints in the past about opening packages, I devised a system that I thought would make unwrapping fairly easy.  Dad received instructions a couple of days before the package arrived.

Today I got an angry letter about the packaging.  How long exactly, he wanted to know, did it take me to tape the package up like that?  He struggled for 15 minutes to get the top layer off!  He had to ask an aide for help!  The instructions I sent were completely ignored.

Also, he was unhappy with the first book he read.  It was a lighthearted look at a piece of local history.  Dad was indignant that the consumption of alcohol was condoned in some of the book’s anecdotes.  Also, there were some typographical errors.  This is somehow my fault. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2013, 10:25:06 AM »
More petty criticism from Stamp Dad (O.P.):

Recently I sent Dad a box of books.  Due to complaints in the past about opening packages, I devised a system that I thought would make unwrapping fairly easy.  Dad received instructions a couple of days before the package arrived.

Today I got an angry letter about the packaging.  How long exactly, he wanted to know, did it take me to tape the package up like that?  He struggled for 15 minutes to get the top layer off!  He had to ask an aide for help!  The instructions I sent were completely ignored.

Also, he was unhappy with the first book he read.  It was a lighthearted look at a piece of local history.  Dad was indignant that the consumption of alcohol was condoned in some of the book’s anecdotes.  Also, there were some typographical errors.  This is somehow my fault.

Wow!  You have the patience of a saint to put up with all of that.  Would it do any good at all for you to take a red pen and mark up his letter with all the areas that hurt your feelings and/or weren't your fault and send it back to him?  Could he learn?

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2013, 10:38:52 AM »
Yikes.  I'm shocked that half of the posters here have anything to do with their parents now!  I need to remember to tell mine how awesome they are.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2013, 10:40:27 AM »
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Shalamar

« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »
yet she was embarrassed to be called grandma.

Anyone else thinking of Shirley Maclaine's character from Terms of Endearment?  "Happy?  Why should I be happy about BECOMING A GRANDMOTHER?!?"

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2013, 11:47:07 AM »

Genius!

[/quote

The only issue is that 0 was an Indian/Hindi innovation not Arab.

Well, if you absolutely must avoid anything east of Greenwich, you can blame it on the Maya.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #118 on: September 04, 2013, 11:53:23 AM »
My mom was a teacher and I have an LD.  'nuff said?  In spite of this, I worked my heiney off and managed to pull in pretty good grades (some As, A-s and Bs).  But if it wasn't an A or an A+ she'd tell me that I could probably do better next time.  The day I brought home a C in chemistry was not a happy day for me, in spite of getting extra help and working my tail off in that class.  I did fine in lab but my brain just could not figure out the theories.  It was dreadful.

I managed to graduate in the National Honor Society and in the upper 20 in my class but I wasn't valedictorian and therefore, I probably shouldn't have bothered.   ::)

My live-in MIL is a critiplainer.  (Complaints and criticism all rolled into one wonderful package!)

We went on vacation once and brought back a pretty hand-blown, hand-painted Christmas ornament from the country we were visiting because she has this fabulous tree and loves to decorate.  "Well, I suppose it's nice but couldn't you have brought me something I can use all the time?"

She critiplained to me one time when I was cleaning prior to a family party that I was being rather unkind to SIL because she isn't much of a housekeeper and my having a clean and tidy house rubs it in her face. 

Whenever I do the cooking, there's always something just not quite right about the meal.

I hear something everyday, I have a million of them.  Many of them are directed to DH who just lets it roll off his back and I try to do the same. But every now and again, something sticks and I want to say, "Well, no one is making you live here."

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #119 on: September 04, 2013, 12:20:24 PM »
Yikes.  I'm shocked that half of the posters here have anything to do with their parents now!  I need to remember to tell mine how awesome they are.

POD!
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!