News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 20, 2018, 05:32:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 264135 times)

magicdomino

Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #150 on: September 05, 2013, 12:56:25 PM »
My dad was pretty strict when I was growing up.  Some of the things he took issue with:

- Wearing jeans.  I was born in 1964, and by the early-to-mid 70's, girls wore jeans as a regular thing (as opposed to dresses).  He HATED the thought of me in jeans and refused to let my mother buy me any.    - Wearing makeup of any kind.   I once showed up at the dinner table wearing red lipstick (it was the 80's), and he snapped "That looks awful."
- Having my ears pierced.  I finally had them done on the quiet when I was 18, figuring that it was better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Ah, yes, blue jeans or, as my mother called them, dungerees.  She refused to buy them because they are difficult to iron.   ???

siamesecat2965

« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2013, 01:03:49 PM »
My dad was pretty strict when I was growing up.  Some of the things he took issue with:

- Wearing jeans.  I was born in 1964, and by the early-to-mid 70's, girls wore jeans as a regular thing (as opposed to dresses).  He HATED the thought of me in jeans and refused to let my mother buy me any.    - Wearing makeup of any kind.   I once showed up at the dinner table wearing red lipstick (it was the 80's), and he snapped "That looks awful."
- Having my ears pierced.  I finally had them done on the quiet when I was 18, figuring that it was better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Ah, yes, blue jeans or, as my mother called them, dungerees.  She refused to buy them because they are difficult to iron.   ???

My mother still looks at me disapprovingly sometimes when I wear jeans.  She is of the era, and I was brought up the same way, that you dress up for things, such as holiday means, even if at home, going out to eat, etc. Which is fine, but I can’t tell you how many times over the years I “dressed up” for holidays etc. either at home going to friends, and the rest of the “kids” my age were much more casually dressed.  I’ve finally gotten her to realize that jeans are not sloppy, and will tell her, hey, we’re going shopping at the outlets, and I’m wearing jeans.

What’s funny is I have these black capri sweatpants. Nice ones, made of French terry, but still sweatpants. I had them on one time driving the 8 hours to my parents, and that night we were going out to dinner. I was asked to “dress nicely” ad told the pants I had on were nice! I then broke it to her that they were sweatpants, but they weren’t jeans, so they were acceptable.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #152 on: September 05, 2013, 01:15:15 PM »
I remember being expected to dress up for Thanksgiving dinners.  Not super fancy, but just nicer than what you'd wear day to day. 

My IL's just do jeans and sweatshirts.  It's so nice to not have to worry about getting gravy on a nice skirt and just kicking back and pigging out! :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MissRose

« Reply #153 on: September 05, 2013, 01:16:43 PM »
Where could I start with my mother:

*My driving - I am a safe and good driver but she loves to tell me when I have to take her places especially long trips to see her mother that I am either I am going too fast, slow, why I am taking a certain way, etc.    My grandmother (her mother) does not get why she has to open her mouth constantly and just shakes her head at her kid.

*My clothing choices - I am short and plus sized. Either she complains that things are too loose or too tight, I show too much cleavage, I could wear a different outfit for a  I could wear colors or patterns (as I prefer black clothing).  I'd love to be a size 8 like her but even if I dropped the weight I will still have wide shoulders and hips with decent sized bosom.

*I wear too much makeup. Then again she wears none by choice.  My makeup is not heavily applied at all.

blueyzca01

« Reply #154 on: September 05, 2013, 01:40:38 PM »

- Wearing jeans.  I was born in 1964, and by the early-to-mid 70's, girls wore jeans as a regular thing (as opposed to dresses).  He HATED the thought of me in jeans and refused to let my mother buy me any.   
- Wearing makeup of any kind.  I once showed up at the dinner table wearing red lipstick (it was the 80's), and he snapped "That looks awful."

I got told that I looked like a hussy when I showed up in red lips.  Funny thing was, a couple of years later, my mom stumbled on the absolute perfect shade of red lipstick...and bought it for me.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #155 on: September 05, 2013, 01:47:06 PM »
I don't understand the objection some parents have to ear piercing.  People have been piercing their ears for thousands of years, and just about every woman I know has pierced ears.  My religious fanatic parents consider it to be a sin (along with a long list of other common behaviors).  I have no idea why.  If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be interested to hear it. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #156 on: September 05, 2013, 02:06:52 PM »

- Wearing jeans.  I was born in 1964, and by the early-to-mid 70's, girls wore jeans as a regular thing (as opposed to dresses).  He HATED the thought of me in jeans and refused to let my mother buy me any.   
- Wearing makeup of any kind.  I once showed up at the dinner table wearing red lipstick (it was the 80's), and he snapped "That looks awful."

I got told that I looked like a hussy when I showed up in red lips.  Funny thing was, a couple of years later, my mom stumbled on the absolute perfect shade of red lipstick...and bought it for me.

I had a friend in college who had on really red nailpolish one time. I never met her parents, but her father apparently asked her "what color is that? Revlon come scrabble me red?"

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #157 on: September 05, 2013, 02:09:30 PM »
My friends were all getting their ears pierced and I BEGGED to get mine done.  Mom always said no.  I secretly think it was because she didn't think I was old enough to look after them myself.

When I was 10, there was a gift certificate on the Christmas tree for me to get mine done.  Mom took me in for the appointment and on the spur of the moment, got hers done, too.  You've spent how long telling me I can't get my ears pierced and when you finally let me, you do yours, too.  Really?

But I didn't care; I was just happy to get mine done.  Until I found out that I was allergic to nickel.  Couldn't even wear stainless steel.  I still have those piercings but only wear 14 to 18 carat gold keeper hoops in them 99.9% of the time.

I was born in 1968.  I didn't get a pair of jeans until I was in Grade 5 and only got them because I needed them for a costume for the skating carnival I was participating in.  I wore those things to death.  And managed to talk Mom into getting me more.  She wanted a girly-girl.  She got a tomboy.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #158 on: September 05, 2013, 02:15:48 PM »
My mother took me to get my ears pierced when I was four.  After hearing girl friends express envy because they weren't allowed to at all or had to wait till a certain age, I asked my mother why I was allowed to get mine so young.

She said "Remember how much it hurt?" I said no and she said "that's why."

Well about 2 years ago I got another hole added and it barely hurt at all, not enough that I can really see why I'd need to have it done young enough that I'd forget it.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Yvaine

« Reply #159 on: September 05, 2013, 02:21:19 PM »
With my dad, I think his dislike for ear piercing was about four reasons rolled into one:

--He thought it was Disfiguring The Body. He had a weird, arbitrary set of rules on what constituted disfigurement, in which piercings disfigured the body, but plastic surgery was a grand thing because of how much better it made people look, in his eyes.
--It cost money.
--It was for grown women, ergo a kid or teen who did it was "fast."
--He worried we wouldn't take good care of the holes, which might have even been true.

Jones

« Reply #160 on: September 05, 2013, 02:35:52 PM »
The religion in which I was raised is anti-tattoo, anti-most piercings; a single pair of pierces in the lobes is allowed for women only. I think it has something to do with a quote in the New Testament, 1 Corinthians? I can look it up if necessary. I will admit that I often got the feeling that a "single modest pair" was only allowed because so many older women already had theirs done when the rule came out.

Well, the piercing in my one ear ripped through; it eventually healed enough I could wear a small hoop or stud in it, by which point I had already gotten a new pierce as we thought my first would heal all the way. At 16 I, of course, wore earrings in all three holes; usually one hoop and a stud in the right ear, and a stud or matching hoop on the left. Sometimes I wore three matching studs. Very small things. My parents sat me down and had a conversation about how people would perceive my faith based on what I wore and how they hadn't thought I was getting another pierce, but a replacement pierce.

Funny thing is, now, I wear earrings maybe 3-4 times a year. I don't regret the extra pierce, certainly not the way I was warned I one day would, and I don't see myself ever regretting it.
“A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems.” CS Lewis

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #161 on: September 05, 2013, 02:36:50 PM »
I don't understand the objection some parents have to ear piercing.  People have been piercing their ears for thousands of years, and just about every woman I know has pierced ears.  My religious fanatic parents consider it to be a sin (along with a long list of other common behaviors).  I have no idea why.  If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be interested to hear it.

Two of my friends say that their parents had the idea that pierced ears were strictly for "Italians, gypsies, and [women of ill repute]."  During the Third Reich Hitler disapproved because it was "unnatural" (Fortunately, my mother's family didn't buy into that one).  Another friend said that her mother was under the impression that it wasn't "American" and saw it as something done in "the old country".  None of her three daughters bought that.

These people should all have seen the guy I saw in Starbucks last weekend who had gauges the size of bangle bracelets.

lilfox

« Reply #162 on: September 05, 2013, 03:04:25 PM »
Heh, my mom pestered me for years because she wanted me to get my ears pierced as a kid.  It was always up to me, but she offered to buy me lots of earrings if I would just "stop being a coward" and do it already.  I was terrified of needles, even had to be restrained to get shots, so I refused. Also, it seemed like a big hassle to me.  I eventually had it done at age 19 on my own terms.

Then she thought all my talk about getting a tattoo in my 20s was just talk because of the needle phobia.  I still hate shots (who doesn't) but I can handle it.  After I had it done, she tried to 'embarrass' me in front of my relatives about it, and was taken aback when they immediately questioned me about where I had it done, what was it like, how long to decide on the design, etc., for their own ink interests!

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #163 on: September 05, 2013, 03:21:16 PM »
It's funny to hear all the stories about pierced ears because in my culture, baby girls get pierced ears very early.  I got mine done when I was less than a year old.  I was surprised when my American friends were envious that I had pierced ears in elementary school because most of them were not allowed to get them until they were much older. 

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #164 on: September 05, 2013, 04:11:36 PM »

It likely comes from the "your body is a temple" verse from 1 Corinthians 6:19-20. The idea is that modifying your body is defiling that temple and an insult to God. There's also Leviticus 19:28 (no tattoos or "cuts for the dead") as well as 1 Timothy 2:9 (women must dress modestly.) There's even one in Exodus about poking holes in someone's ear and making them a slave forever.

As Venus noted, there is more general objection based on the "wrong" kind of people having pierced ears or simply "we just don't do that here."

As an aside, on young kids and pierced ears: I'm probably going to make at least one 7yo girl cry this weekend over pierced ears. I'm a soccer referee and the kids are absolutely not allowed to play with anything in their ears, nor are they allowed to cover them up with tape. The earrings have to come out. Except that this is the first weekend of the season (and early in the school year) so of course they go out and get their ears pierced a day or so before the game -- and argue that they can't take the earring out until everything heals. Hence the unhappy little girl who's so proud of her new earrings but isn't allowed to play. And I'm a big meanie. *sigh*
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.