Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 93102 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #315 on: September 17, 2013, 05:12:52 PM »
My mother thinks I should check with DH before spending any amount of money, even on bills.

DH and I have been together and operating in this manner for 19 years. He knows to put any planned expenditures on our shared financial calendar, so we both know about them.

Ah, I see. That IS frustrating! Couples just have different ways of doing things. Hopefully what they do works for them, but they shouldn't assume everyone operates the same way.

On an unrelated note... I thought of a ridiculous criticism from my grandma. She's said before she thinks my mom and I are "boring." That is, we don't tell her our problems, so she can pass them on to the rest of the family and her web of friends as the Dispenser of Knowledge. ::) (The "handling rumors" thread reminded me of this.)
~Lynn2000

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #316 on: September 17, 2013, 05:52:53 PM »
^ I get ignored by MIL because of that. I don't tell her anything, so she has nothing to use against us.

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #317 on: September 17, 2013, 07:58:11 PM »
I feel lucky. The only bit of criticism I get is from my Mom. "You have a heart of gold and book smarts, but you have no common sense." She says it with love and I understand her. Mainly because it is true.

suzieQ

« Reply #318 on: September 17, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »

Do you think a piercing parlor would help me? My ears get these "lumps" in them every time I wear earrings. And DH can't leave them alone - he thinks he has to squeeze the lumps out through my piercings.  ::)
So I quit wearing earrings. Would a new set of holes help me out or is this an allergy? I've tried all types of metals and everything seems to cause these lumps.

Have you tried niobium or titanium?  Piercing parlors carry those. I'm extremely sensitive to most metals - can't even wear stainless steel or gold. I have niobium hoops and a medical piece of titanium (clipped)
I have not! Thanks - I'd never even heard of niobium before.
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #319 on: September 17, 2013, 09:19:45 PM »
I was thinking about this thread today. My dad was an English teacher, and in his case this meant he was also the grammar, spelling, and handwriting police throughout my childhood. Picture me, six years old, bringing him my kindergarten homework, and he responds by getting out his red pen and closing the loop of my printed lower-case A because two millimeters were left open.  ::) This continued all through junior high and even some into high school.

[snip]

My dad doesn't get to read my stories. He's never asked, but he knows I let my mom (married, same household) read them, and sometimes she and I end up discussing them in front of him. (I try not to, but sometimes it happens.) Occasionally I've thought of letting him read them. But I know he would criticize them. I know he would get out his red pen and add in/cross out commas, circle typos, mark my sentences he thought were too long. (The stories would almost certainly be typed at this point, so at least he wouldn't be able to "fix" my handwriting!) I know that this would be his way of showing that he was engaged with my stories, that he was paying attention to them. But it would upset me. Even if he said, "This was very good," all I would see are the red marks he felt compelled to put on it.

Okay, not to make it all about MEEEE... But after I posted this and people responded, I got to thinking about it more. I said to my mom, "Do you think Dad would like to read my stories?" and she's like, "Of course!" I said, "I'm just afraid he'll get out his red pen and make corrections," and she said, "Well, tell him not to." Well that sounds... simple.

So tonight I saw him and I casually said, "I wrote some stories in fandom XYZ... Maybe you'd like to read them sometime." And he got all excited and said, "Yes, I would!" Then I said, "But you couldn't point out typos or fix the grammar or say ANYTHING BAD AT ALL about them." And the whole time I'm speaking, he's shaking his head, like, no, of course not! Then I changed the subject to something else, just in case we were about to have a Moment... Gotta avoid those.

So, we'll see. I don't want to lean either way on it yet. But I offered, I told him the conditions, and he agreed immediately without hesitation or defensiveness. So I don't know, maybe I was just building this whole thing up in my mind. ::)
~Lynn2000

Library Dragon

« Reply #320 on: September 17, 2013, 09:21:06 PM »
It kinds of annoys me when I see babies with pierced ears. They should have to nag their moms at least as much as I had to do first!

SNIP

Lol. You need to get them done the way my greatgrandmother got hers done. By her father, taking a break from spreading manure. She brought him a boiled darning needle to make the hole, and he held a field potato behind her ear as a support.

No infection at all.... :o

My mother did something similar.  Ran the needle through a flame, "numbed" my ears with an ice cube, and held a potato behind my ear.

I was 9 years old and a cry baby because it H U R T. Yes, they got infected. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Kaymyth

« Reply #321 on: September 17, 2013, 11:08:55 PM »

Do you think a piercing parlor would help me? My ears get these "lumps" in them every time I wear earrings. And DH can't leave them alone - he thinks he has to squeeze the lumps out through my piercings.  ::)
So I quit wearing earrings. Would a new set of holes help me out or is this an allergy? I've tried all types of metals and everything seems to cause these lumps.

Have you tried niobium or titanium?  Piercing parlors carry those. I'm extremely sensitive to most metals - can't even wear stainless steel or gold. I have niobium hoops and a medical piece of titanium (clipped)

I've also found that dabbing a cottonball in rubbing alcohol and going over the earring post with it helps a lot.  Pierced 20 years ago, and they still aren't really healed properly.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #322 on: September 18, 2013, 10:36:10 AM »

Warning: a bit pricey. A small niobium hoop runs about $30 USA.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #323 on: September 18, 2013, 10:44:48 AM »
I just sent out a Halloween party announcement to my opera club and remembered that my mother couldn't understand Halloween.  Granted, it wasn't celebrated in her native country while she still lived there but she thought that it was strictly for children and kept asking when I was going to outgrow it.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #324 on: September 18, 2013, 10:49:48 AM »

That's not much worse than 14-18 carat gold.  Fortunately, I can wear gold.  I seem to have a nickel allergy so cheap earrings are out.  I can get away with sterling silver but I prefer the gold for everyday wear.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #325 on: September 18, 2013, 10:52:01 AM »
My aunt criticizes me because I have a cleaning lady who comes once every week or two.  "In my day, we were proud to keep a nice, clean house and didn't pay someone to do the work"  Yes, and in your day, you were a stay at home mom and housewife, not a single woman who works 50 hours or so a week.  Why would I spend my precious free time doing something I hate, like cleaning, when I could be doing something I love, like gardening or my hobbies?

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #326 on: September 18, 2013, 10:54:08 AM »
My aunt criticizes me because I have a cleaning lady who comes once every week or two.  "In my day, we were proud to keep a nice, clean house and didn't pay someone to do the work"  Yes, and in your day, you were a stay at home mom and housewife, not a single woman who works 50 hours or so a week.  Why would I spend my precious free time doing something I hate, like cleaning, when I could be doing something I love, like gardening or my hobbies?

Tell me about it.  ::)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #327 on: September 18, 2013, 11:33:41 AM »

You can get niobium earrings for a lot less than $30. This medium pair is $15: http://shop.naturallynickelfree.com/collections/unisex-jewelry/products/simple-niobium-hoop-earrings

You can also buy just the earwires (in a lot of fun colours) and change them. $0.45 from Metalliferous, a little more from Rio Grande: http://store.metalliferous.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ANB118

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #328 on: September 18, 2013, 12:27:30 PM »

Indeed!  I feel the same way.  I hate cleaning with a passion and me and my aunt are not home enough to keep up with things.  Now that my grandfather lives with us we have gone down to bi-weekly rather than weekly.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #329 on: September 18, 2013, 12:46:43 PM »

When I'm criticized  for paying someone to do things I "should" do myself, I tell them I'm giving someone a job to earn the money they need to put food on their table.  Yeah, try to make me feel guilty and you'll get some of it back >:D