Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 95215 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #330 on: September 18, 2013, 01:20:26 PM »
I've had people wonder why I don't hire someone to clean for me so I don't have to. 

I have a few reasons, really. 1) I'm a housewife/sahm so I'd feel lazy having someone to clean when I have the time to even if I hate doing it.  And 2) as much as I hate doing it, I just have kind of a hang-up about someone else cleaning it for me.  I blame the fact that my mother would come over and pick up a dust rag and clean the baseboards or windows and fuss at how dirty my house was even if it was mopped, vaccumed, dishes done, counters clean and wiped, etc. 

I also remember one time I grumbled about DH not helping me more around the house and at the time I was working 40 hours but to hear my mother talk, it didn't matter.  He worked hard (and I didn't?) and so shouldn't be expected to lift a finger when he got home, but once I walked in the door, I wasn't to do anything for myself besides eat until I went to bed.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #331 on: September 18, 2013, 01:37:47 PM »
I think cleaning the house is one of those things that's terribly easy to induce guilt about. Once one of my co-workers was having some surgery (necessary but not emergency) and his parents were coming to stay with him while he recovered. For three days before their arrival he was in a frenzy cleaning his one-bedroom apartment to meet his mother's standards. I thought maybe he was just anxious about the surgery and was turning that into anxiety about his mother's disapproval of his cleanliness, so I tried to help by saying something about how it would be fine, they probably wouldn't even notice, we often see our own messes as worse than others see them, etc.. Nope. Truly, his mother had been a screaming harridan about housecleaning all through his childhood and he feared her wrath even at age 30, to the point that he was scrubbing and climbing and steaming even though he needed, you know, surgery:-\
~Lynn2000

magicdomino

« Reply #332 on: September 18, 2013, 02:27:33 PM »
I just sent out a Halloween party announcement to my opera club and remembered that my mother couldn't understand Halloween.  Granted, it wasn't celebrated in her native country while she still lived there but she thought that it was strictly for children and kept asking when I was going to outgrow it.

Never!  Never, I tell you!

;D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #333 on: September 18, 2013, 02:30:16 PM »
Same here! I dress up to take my kids trick or treating! :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Twirly

• Your Pop Filter
« Reply #334 on: September 18, 2013, 02:59:05 PM »
I just sent out a Halloween party announcement to my opera club and remembered that my mother couldn't understand Halloween.  Granted, it wasn't celebrated in her native country while she still lived there but she thought that it was strictly for children and kept asking when I was going to outgrow it.

My dad is like that concerning anything superhero related. Every time my comic-obsessed bothers start waxing poetic about the latest superhero movie or who would win in a fight between Superman and Batman, he’ll sigh and ask when will they outgrow such childish interests. But when I ask my sports-obsessed father why it is less childish to dress up in his "costume", scream at the TV every Sunday about a game which he is not actually part of and have lengthy discussions with his friends about who would win in a match between player A vs. Player B he just kind of grumbles about it being different. Seems pretty similar to me...

Demons dipped in adorable

My snarky alter ego co-writes a pop culture blog: http://yourpopfilter.com/

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #335 on: September 18, 2013, 03:03:41 PM »
... I dress up to take my kids trick or treating! :)

I have a suspicion that you dress up your kids so that they can take YOU trick or treating!   ;D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #336 on: September 18, 2013, 03:15:04 PM »

I have a suspicion that you dress up your kids so that they can take YOU trick or treating!   ;D

Who, moi?  ;D  I must admit, tis one of the perks of having a toddler now, as I still get several more years of trick or treating even when my older two decide to stop.  And when he grows out of it I'll still dress up to hand out candy. :)

DH said he thinks high school age is too old. I was TOT'ing even as a senior and unlike my friends who would just throw on old ratty clothes and go as "hobos" I still bothered to throw together a real costume. :)

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #337 on: September 18, 2013, 03:56:45 PM »
Stories about parents thinking you're childish reminds me that my mother always have condescending remarks whenever I watch sitcoms that I watched as a kid, like The Brady Bunch and Happy Days.  So what?  It's comfort TV and I'm not hurting anyone.

Library Dragon

« Reply #338 on: September 18, 2013, 05:37:10 PM »
My aunt criticizes me because I have a cleaning lady who comes once every week or two.  "In my day, we were proud to keep a nice, clean house and didn't pay someone to do the work"  Yes, and in your day, you were a stay at home mom and housewife, not a single woman who works 50 hours or so a week.  Why would I spend my precious free time doing something I hate, like cleaning, when I could be doing something I love, like gardening or my hobbies?

I used to feel guilty too, but one day I was reading the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, and found a really interesting passage when Precious Ramotswe is thinking about hiring another person to clean her home.  It was her moral duty to hire  someone, because it provides work and keeps the economy moving etc. etc. etc. 

Yay!  ;D No more guilt!  ;D 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

nayberry

« Reply #339 on: September 18, 2013, 06:16:44 PM »
Stories about parents thinking you're childish reminds me that my mother always have condescending remarks whenever I watch sitcoms that I watched as a kid, like The Brady Bunch and Happy Days.  So what?  It's comfort TV and I'm not hurting anyone.

this!! a thousand times!!

i like daft shows, and comedies and cartoons,  food shows and sport.  last weekend we were watching nfl (important note, we are in the uk)  and having watched the Bears win! and then redzone for the later games, we switched channels to try and stay awake for the last game.  we set the timer on the tv so it would at least shut the screen off if we did doze off and not be on all night.
about 2am i heard someone go to the bathroom, and not long after that i fell asleep.
in the morning i got questioned as to why our tv was still on????????????   now i'm 34, hubby is 39, if we want to stay up and watch sport as neither has to get up early the next day we will!

andi

« Reply #340 on: September 18, 2013, 07:01:51 PM »
Same here! I dress up to take my kids trick or treating! :)

Ditto!!  Not sure who looks forward to it more - Boo or me!  Totally dress up

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #341 on: September 18, 2013, 07:43:36 PM »
I had someone tell me I should mow my own postage stamp sized lawn. Well sorry it isn't worth the sinus infection.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #342 on: September 18, 2013, 07:47:41 PM »

Amen to that!  When the local Halloween parade was started about 25 years ago, it was stated that no adult could participate without a child in costume.   This led to some odd situations.  Mom would be dressed as a magnificent vampire.  Dad would have a perfect Roman centurian's outfit.  Baby would be rolled in a stroller.  The child would be wearing a hooded sleeper with cat whiskers painted on his or her face. That sufficed. 

It was also not unusual for a group of single adults to draft an older child from married friends who had several children. A typical group would include a young Luke Skywalker in his karate outfit and carrying a light sabre.  He'd be surrounded by several star troopers, a wookie or two and Princess Laia. Han Solo would also be in attendance. 

Halloween is a time to dress up and have fun. Age doesn't matter.  A good costume can be more satisfying than chocolate.       

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #343 on: September 18, 2013, 07:51:12 PM »

Amen to that!  When the local Halloween parade was started about 25 years ago, it was stated that no adult could participate without a child in costume.   This led to some odd situations.  Mom would be dressed as a magnificent vampire.  Dad would have a perfect Roman centurian's outfit.  Baby would be rolled in a stroller.  The child would be wearing a hooded sleeper with cat whiskers painted on his or her face. That sufficed. 

It was also not unusual for a group of single adults to draft an older child from married friends who had several children. A typical group would include a young Luke Skywalker in his karate outfit and carrying a light sabre.  He'd be surrounded by several star troopers, a wookie or two and Princess Laia. Han Solo would also be in attendance. 

Halloween is a time to dress up and have fun. Age doesn't matter.  A good costume can be more satisfying than chocolate.

And the best part is ... it's Halloween!!  You can have both!   ;D     

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #344 on: September 18, 2013, 08:06:09 PM »
I had someone tell me I should mow my own postage stamp sized lawn. Well sorry it isn't worth the sinus infection.
I'd hand over the scissors and reply brightly: "Thanks for offering! Enjoy!"

>:D