Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 93507 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #345 on: September 18, 2013, 08:11:52 PM »
Our town has a Mummer's Parade! :)  They have it the last Saturday of October and it's a blast! :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

XRogue

« Reply #346 on: September 18, 2013, 08:33:31 PM »
About yards and maid service, there are too many to quote now so I will only say this. To me, such things fall under my flowchart on how to spend money. Simple, one step flowchart, goes like this:

"Is it worth it to me?"

It also makes a perfectly good one sentence response a' la' "Why would I want to do that?" etc.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #347 on: September 18, 2013, 08:35:08 PM »
My aunt criticizes me because I have a cleaning lady who comes once every week or two.  "In my day, we were proud to keep a nice, clean house and didn't pay someone to do the work"  Yes, and in your day, you were a stay at home mom and housewife, not a single woman who works 50 hours or so a week.  Why would I spend my precious free time doing something I hate, like cleaning, when I could be doing something I love, like gardening or my hobbies?

I used to feel guilty too, but one day I was reading the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, and found a really interesting passage when Precious Ramotswe is thinking about hiring another person to clean her home.  It was her moral duty to hire  someone, because it provides work and keeps the economy moving etc. etc. etc. 

Yay!  ;D No more guilt!  ;D 

I love Precious

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #348 on: September 19, 2013, 07:17:02 AM »
My aunt criticizes me because I have a cleaning lady who comes once every week or two.  "In my day, we were proud to keep a nice, clean house and didn't pay someone to do the work"  Yes, and in your day, you were a stay at home mom and housewife, not a single woman who works 50 hours or so a week.  Why would I spend my precious free time doing something I hate, like cleaning, when I could be doing something I love, like gardening or my hobbies?

I used to feel guilty too, but one day I was reading the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, and found a really interesting passage when Precious Ramotswe is thinking about hiring another person to clean her home.  It was her moral duty to hire  someone, because it provides work and keeps the economy moving etc. etc. etc. 

I love Precious

That is the best rationalization I've ever heard about having a cleaning lady.  I love it!  ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

BB-VA

« Reply #349 on: September 19, 2013, 07:37:11 AM »
Our town has a Mummer's Parade! :)  They have it the last Saturday of October and it's a blast! :)

It is indeed!  I got to march in it with my daughter's middle school band (us parents got a commendation for staying in step).

Problem is, when you march, you don't get to see as much - but it was still lots of fun!
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #350 on: September 19, 2013, 10:29:46 AM »
I love Mummers.  On our last visit to Philadelphia we visited the Mummers Museum.  It was a hoot. 

One of the great things about reaching adulthood is that you CAN do innocent, things associated with childhood without being embarrassed.  Many of us here enjoy paper dolls, coloring books or super heroes.  Keeping a child-like view of the world is healthy and great fun. 

Dressing up for Halloween is one of the perks of living in a neighborhood with plenty of creative types. 

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #351 on: September 19, 2013, 10:40:18 AM »

Quote from: Library Dragon on Yesterday at 05:37:10 PM

Quote from: It's good to be Queen on Yesterday at 10:52:01 AM

I love Precious

today is the day my cleaning lady comes and it will be so nice to open my front door and see a clean house and get a that wonder whif of lemon pledge and floor polish.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #352 on: September 19, 2013, 11:36:23 AM »
I love Mummers.  On our last visit to Philadelphia we visited the Mummers Museum.  It was a hoot. 

One of the great things about reaching adulthood is that you CAN do innocent, things associated with childhood without being embarrassed.  Many of us here enjoy paper dolls, coloring books or super heroes.  Keeping a child-like view of the world is healthy and great fun. 

Dressing up for Halloween is one of the perks of living in a neighborhood with plenty of creative types.

I always dress up to give out candy at Halloween. My dogs and I have matching costumes, and we sit out on the front lawn. Kids love us. :) I've already had a few people ask me if we've picked out our costumes yet for this year.

Asharah

« Reply #353 on: September 19, 2013, 11:37:39 AM »
I remember one of those "Life In The United States" stories in Reader's Digest, where the new cleaning lady had just finished right before teenaged son and his buddies arrived home from school and left a trail of outerwear, backpacks and gym bags all through the house on the way to the kitchen where they made snacks and another mess. Mom asks cleaning lady if she's coming back next week,  she says she will as long as Mom doesn't tell anybody she's their housecleaner.
Asharah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #354 on: September 19, 2013, 12:06:33 PM »
I work as a volunteer at a camp. For the Cub Scout Halloween weekends, we get to dress up, march in the parade, participate in the contests and I watch kids make crafts. It is awesome!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #355 on: September 19, 2013, 12:30:30 PM »
I think cleaning the house is one of those things that's terribly easy to induce guilt about. Once one of my co-workers was having some surgery (necessary but not emergency) and his parents were coming to stay with him while he recovered. For three days before their arrival he was in a frenzy cleaning his one-bedroom apartment to meet his mother's standards. I thought maybe he was just anxious about the surgery and was turning that into anxiety about his mother's disapproval of his cleanliness, so I tried to help by saying something about how it would be fine, they probably wouldn't even notice, we often see our own messes as worse than others see them, etc.. Nope. Truly, his mother had been a screaming harridan about housecleaning all through his childhood and he feared her wrath even at age 30, to the point that he was scrubbing and climbing and steaming even though he needed, you know, surgery:-\

Well, I obviously wasn't enough of a screaming harridan with my DD. She's a freshmen at college and DH and I went up to see her this past weekend for parent's weekend. Her dorm is not typical. She shares it with 3 girls and they have a common sitting area and share 2 bathrooms but they each have their own bedrooms. She's been there for 5 weeks and her room still had trash from when we helped move her in. Clothes every where, empty drink containers, tissues on the floor where she applies makeup. She said she didn't have time to clean up. Within 10 minutes I'd filled 3 bags of trash, made her bed and hung her clothes with DH standing there the entire time saying "just leave it, it's her mess" and DD having that smug "I knew you'd clean it for me look".

And can you believe one of her roommates mom's was doing the exact same thing?

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #356 on: September 19, 2013, 12:50:34 PM »
Stories about parents thinking you're childish reminds me that my mother always have condescending remarks whenever I watch sitcoms that I watched as a kid, like The Brady Bunch and Happy Days.  So what?  It's comfort TV and I'm not hurting anyone.

You should hear my mother go on about the fact that my sister and I read *gasp* romance novels. What's wrong with some light escapism?

Shalamar

« Reply #357 on: September 19, 2013, 05:16:09 PM »
My  mother loves to criticize my poor dad for enjoying "Wheel of Fortune".  He's a very intellectual guy, so I think she thinks a silly game show is "beneath" him.    She also gets mad when he spends time playing games on the computer - why, I have no idea.

Edited to add:  re housekeepers - I mentioned a while back that ours is on vacation until October.  Last night my teenage daughters said "Do we HAVE to have Christa come back?  It's not like she really does anything."  I raised an eyebrow and said "Are you serious?   She works for 4-5 hours every Thursday, and I can tell you she ain't spending that time watching soaps and eating bon-bons."  They may not notice any difference to the house, but my husband and I sure do.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:19:22 PM by Shalamar »

Chip2

« Reply #358 on: September 19, 2013, 05:20:06 PM »
Me [after a long day of vacation driving]:  hey, mom. We stopped for the night and are in [hotel]. We just had a huge dinner and I insisted the boys immediately go swimming.
ChipMom:   >:(

Shalamar

« Reply #359 on: September 19, 2013, 05:37:30 PM »
Hee hee.  That reminds me of Seinfeld saying that he called his mother and said "Hey, Mom?  It's 4:30 p.m. and I just ate an entire bag of cookies.  That's right - I RUINED my dinner!"