Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 95600 times)

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #390 on: September 22, 2013, 10:52:50 PM »
A few years ago I had a temporary clerical gig at a college that had a lot of nursing majors -- the majority of the degrees they conferred were in nursing. I gained a huge respect for nurses just by skimming the transcripts and such that I was processing. A nursing degree requires a lot of knowledge of biology, anatomy and physiology -- more science than my liberal arts bachelor's/journalism master's self could ever dream of getting through.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Kaymyth

« Reply #391 on: September 23, 2013, 12:25:40 AM »

This!  There are reasons why my first date with my husband involved me in a corseted fairy costume, katanas, and pumpkins flying through the air.  (It helped that it was the day after Halloween.)

Live action Fruit Ninja (vegetable edition)?

You did get this on video, right?

It's called Pumpkin Katana Baseball, and it happens every 3-4 years.  No video, but there are pictures of both times it's come around.  It's the most fun anyone has ever had chopping jack-o-lanterns into mulch.

shadowfox79

« Reply #392 on: September 23, 2013, 03:08:16 AM »
Not so much a criticism but my mum just cannot grasp that I do not have any friends.  I don't know if she didn't notice that during the 25 years I lived at home I didn't go out and has blocked out the hours and hours of hysterical crying over my inability to fit into a group of friends but she seems convinced that I'm little miss social when actually I spend most evenings at home watching tv, surfing the net and playing Animal Crossing.

Funnily enough, mine were the opposite. I was never Miss Popular in school, but I was always part of a group, yet my dad liked to have loud conversations with my mum about why I didn't have any friends (or "many friends", sometimes).

Kariachi

« Reply #393 on: September 23, 2013, 11:04:33 AM »
Three things my father has said that will never leave me:

1) "That's why no one likes you!" Yelled at me out of the blue while I was eating a Reese's (I freeze them, peel off and eat the chocolate, then eat the peanut butter)

2) I can't remember the exact words, but he once yelled at me about how horrible we kids were for not cooking dinner for our mother on their anniversary (he picked me up from college on his way home, we got there to find my mom finishing making dinner, I was physically incapable of making it for her)

3) "Stop acting like you're having a panic attack." Yes dad, because Lord knows I always break down into tears, shake, and storm away from people. I'm sorry, I'm not about to keep driving when you're telling me how I'm screwing up and a voice in my head is telling me that if I just drive into that building/tree then I'll probably die and not have to worry about being a failure anymore.

He did end up apologizing for 2, and we did discuss 3 (yes, I know you want me to improve, driving me into an emotional breakdown isn't how you do it).

Things my mom has said that will stick with me:

1) "Well, if you spent more time downstairs this wouldn't be a problem." After my sister cussed me out and locked me out of the house once she found out that, instead of being downstairs and ignoring her asking for help in the kitchen like she'd thought, I'd been upstairs watching tv and hadn't heard her. Somehow my mother just couldn't understand that I go upstairs for a reason, and that reason is mostly to avoid them. And especially to avoid my sister's temper tantrums. Because apparently if I just stick around so my sister can call me worthless and a [cuss] and talk about how horrible I am and always have been, then she'll stop doing it.

Thankfully she's calmed down a bit since she started working and moved out.

And yet my family wonders why I have an anxiety disorder that gets triggered by the possibility of screwing up or looking stupid.  :-\
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #394 on: September 23, 2013, 11:15:54 AM »
1) "That's why no one likes you!" Yelled at me out of the blue while I was eating a Reese's (I freeze them, peel off and eat the chocolate, then eat the peanut butter)

*I* will like you--that's how I eat them too!

Kariachi

« Reply #395 on: September 23, 2013, 01:27:18 PM »

*I* will like you--that's how I eat them too!

It was ridiculous! I'm sorry but I grew up with the "There's no wrong way to eat a Reese's" campaign. If the people that make and sell them say you can't eat them wrong, you can't eat them wrong.

What's even worse is he said this to me four months after we'd moved into the house we're in now. So he stopped to tell his teenage daughter, who had been in a position to talk to other people her age for only a month and had a history of being bullied by both other kids and adults, that no one liked her and it was because she didn't eat her chocolates right!
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #396 on: September 23, 2013, 01:27:47 PM »
Kariachi  ~~  It sounds like you're still living at home.  I'm glad your sister and "things" have calmed down since she moved out, but honestly it sounds like you would benefit from moving out too. 

Hillia

« Reply #397 on: September 23, 2013, 01:29:54 PM »
DH's dad was a difficult man to grow up with.  Lots of mean spirited 'teasing', heavy hand with the belt, 'playful' wrestling matches that turned painful in the blink of an eye.  As adults, his sons tried to talk to him about some of the things from their childhood.  His response?  'Well, you boys didn't make it easier on me'.  Yeah, because children have a responsibility to be easy to raise!  (And for the record, neither of them were rebellious or otherwise hard to handle; just normal kids trying to do what their parents wanted).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #398 on: September 23, 2013, 01:31:37 PM »
Ah ... I see by your most recent post that you are a teenager, so my suggestion that maybe you should move out isn't practical or realistic for you right now. 

Just remember that other people DO like you, regardless of how you eat your Reese's peanut butter cup!  That was, frankly, an odd (to the point of being bizarre) thing to say in response to a method of eating candy.  Now perhaps he meant that he didn't like you at that moment  -- because you didn't share with him!   ;D

Shalamar

« Reply #399 on: September 23, 2013, 02:06:53 PM »
"That Kariachi - she's sweet, funny, and nice, but have you SEEN how she eats Reese's?   She is now my sworn enemy for life!"

For the record, I used to love to eat them that way.  I haven't done so in years.   Time for a shopping trip!

Library Dragon

« Reply #400 on: September 23, 2013, 02:16:31 PM »
The reading too much issue was also an issue for me.  As many teens do I preferred to be in my bedroom.  My mother would yell at me for reading too much and not being in the living room watching TV with the family.  Watching TV was always a yelling fight, my step-father pontificating that what ever show we were watching was wrong and he knew better, and criticizing us for believing the Wild Kingdom narrator or what ever other show was on.  I was much happier reading in my room. 

Ironically, I was painfully shy in my dealings with people, but I was in drama at high school (improv bad--memorized lines good).  So, I was often learning lines.  It doesn't work well in a room of screaming, crying people. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Asharah

« Reply #401 on: September 23, 2013, 04:06:51 PM »
Ah ... I see by your most recent post that you are a teenager, so my suggestion that maybe you should move out isn't practical or realistic for you right now. 

Just remember that other people DO like you, regardless of how you eat your Reese's peanut butter cup!  That was, frankly, an odd (to the point of being bizarre) thing to say in response to a method of eating candy.  Now perhaps he meant that he didn't like you at that moment  -- because you didn't share with him!   ;D
Actually, her profile says she's 23
Asharah

Cami

« Reply #402 on: September 23, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
My late and unlamented MIL criticized me early on for, well, existing, but her first open criticism started after eavesdropping on a conversation between me and then BF. About.... going to the movies.

BG: My dh and I have never agreed on the movies. In fact, the first time he asked me out, I turned him down because he wanted to take me to a horror movie and I hate them. He asked me out again to a different activity and I said, yes. Rest is history...except 30+ years later we still don't agree on movies. So I go to "my" movies with other people and he goes to "his" movies with other people. Whatever, right? Except....

Back to the "incident".  Dh and I are discussing movies. He once again wants to go to a horror movie. I decline. We decide to go bowling instead. Dh leaves the room to do something and  my MIL pops out of the other room, grabs my arm in a death grip and hauls me into the pantry to "have a talking to." She proceeds to give me "helpful advice" which consists of:

1. Women do NOT disagree with their SOs until after they have been married. Because:
2. Women need to make men think they agree with them 100% so that the men will find them more attractive. Because:
3. "Everyone" knows that "no man" finds a woman attractive unless the woman agrees with them 100%.
4. A woman can start to disagree with a man after marriage, because then "it's too late".
5. I was not being a smart woman by disagreeing with my boyfriend before I had a ring on my finger.

I was AGOG. I also declined her advice.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #403 on: September 23, 2013, 04:22:45 PM »
1. Women do NOT disagree with their SOs until after they have been married. Because:
2. Women need to make men think they agree with them 100% so that the men will find them more attractive. Because:
3. "Everyone" knows that "no man" finds a woman attractive unless the woman agrees with them 100%.
4. A woman can start to disagree with a man after marriage, because then "it's too late".
5. I was not being a smart woman by disagreeing with my boyfriend before I had a ring on my finger.

I was AGOG. I also declined her advice.
Sounds like your MIL was exceedingly eager to unload her son on any woman who would take him...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kariachi

« Reply #404 on: September 23, 2013, 04:26:52 PM »

Actually, her profile says she's 23

23, just in that unenviable position of being unemployed in an area where you're over/underqualified for everything, have no references, and no money to move elsewhere where there are more applicable jobs.

Thankfully, I did just get a deal doing housekeeping for a neighbor once a week or so, so hey.