Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 90082 times)

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #645 on: October 07, 2013, 01:51:37 PM »
I have one that combines accidents and coats.  I honestly can't remember why but for some reason my cousins had arrived at our house in a different car from their parents.  The drive home was a fairly long one and my auntie was panicking about my cousin making the drive (despite my cousin having done the drive, and longer, many times before) just before they got in the car my auntie shouted "Well at least put your coat on!".  I wonder if my cousin still has that accident preventing jacket...

Cousin obviously was going to be in an accident, so a coat was needed to stay warm in while waiting for the ambulance/police/tow truck.

But the important quesion is.....was cousin wearing clean underwear?

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #646 on: October 07, 2013, 01:55:47 PM »
I have one that combines accidents and coats.  I honestly can't remember why but for some reason my cousins had arrived at our house in a different car from their parents.  The drive home was a fairly long one and my auntie was panicking about my cousin making the drive (despite my cousin having done the drive, and longer, many times before) just before they got in the car my auntie shouted "Well at least put your coat on!".  I wonder if my cousin still has that accident preventing jacket...

Cousin obviously was going to be in an accident, so a coat was needed to stay warm in while waiting for the ambulance/police/tow truck.

With the days of the week on it?

nuit93

« Reply #647 on: October 07, 2013, 01:56:43 PM »

And wearing the correct day?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #648 on: October 07, 2013, 02:30:02 PM »

And I certainly hope it wasn't either the black or the red pair!!

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #649 on: October 07, 2013, 02:38:22 PM »

Clearly, the trick is to not get into a wreck on a Friday or Saturday.

cutejellybeen

« Reply #650 on: October 07, 2013, 03:23:38 PM »
My mom gives me crap for enjoying thrift stores and discount retailers. Which is weird because we were quite poor when I was young and Target was as fancy as we got for school clothes.

Maybe it's because she HAD to shop there and had no choice (being poor), so now that she doesn't have to she's emotionally completely against it?

My parents did have money when I was growing up - and with two kids still at home - my mom loves shopping at those store every time we go to the states, and she always comes back with the best stuff for us!!

Micah

« Reply #651 on: October 07, 2013, 05:15:32 PM »
My MIL wouldn't shut up because I brought a shirt from an Op shop (thrift store). I loathe buying new clothes. The expense and the stress just does my head in, but I love second hand clothes shopping  :) She initially like the shirt until she asked where I'd gotten it. Then the nose wrinkling started. Then the comments, "This is why you should get a job, so you can afford nice things!" "Someone else has WORN that! You don't know what they DID in it!"  ::) To this day she asks OH if I still buy old clothes. With the same disgusted mouth twist that someone would use if they asked if someone still played in raw sewerage.
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

magicdomino

« Reply #652 on: October 07, 2013, 05:36:14 PM »
Not a criticism, but an odd comment my mother said when I turned 21.  She said that now that I was 21, she didn't have to pay for my wedding.   ???  Okaaay.  Now, I realize that a parent isn't obligated to contribute to wedding expenses regardless of age, and frankly she was so cheap that the complaints wouldn't have been worth the little bit of money.  However, I didn't have a steady boyfriend, much less a potential fiance.  Second, would she really have wanted me to marry before 21 years old? 

Snooks

« Reply #653 on: October 07, 2013, 06:13:16 PM »

Clearly, the trick is to not get into a wreck on a Friday or Saturday.

It's ok I think it was a Sunday  ;)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #654 on: October 07, 2013, 06:52:42 PM »
Not so much a criticism, but I'm curious: has anyone else ever been forced to put extra clothes on because someone else felt cold? My grandmother does this all the time, drives me nuts. It's summer, in Australia, and you want me to wear socks? :o

Yes!  :D  "Put a sweater on; I'm cold" is practically a family motto!

You do know the definition of the word "sweater," don't you?

Sweater (noun): What you put on when your mother is cold.

However, I say to my children: "Put on a sweater, you're making me cold just looking at you."
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 06:57:06 PM by TootsNYC »

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #655 on: October 07, 2013, 06:56:31 PM »
When I'm at home, I often prefer wrapping up in a blanket to wearing a sweater. For whatever reason, it feels warmer (or at least more snuggly), and it means I have a convenient spot to stick my hands when I'm cold. It does mean I occasionally have to get up to get things with the blanket wrapped around my shoulders like a cape, but I can roll with it.

My dad, on the other hand, is not okay with that. I'd be sitting at the computer with a throw blanket wrapped around my shoulders, or walking somewhere with the blanket not touching the ground, and he'd get annoyed with me and tell me to put on a sweater. I still don't know why it bothered him so much.

My dad always hated when we wandered around with blanket-capes too. I think he might have been worried we'd damage the blanket? Or just didn't like the way it looked? I don't know. I like it too, though, and I now have an item that splits the difference--it's a giant fuzzy hideous knee-length shawl. I'd probably have hopped on the Snuggie train if I hadn't already had this. It's perfect--and since my dog chewed a hole in it years ago, it also has a perfect arm hole to clutch my coffee through.

I wonder if those dads are projecting: the cumbersome-ness of the blanket would annoy him. So it annoys him when he sees it on  you.

And, I might object because people w/ blankets on might be more likely to knock stuff over.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #656 on: October 07, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
Natural hair? It looks nappy? Straight hair? Ashamed of your heritage.
While this wasn't a ridiculous thing my father criticized me about, it is a ridiculous thing he said about someone else.  Dad is a  proud lifetime conservative and has nothing good to say about our president.  Apparently Dad can't even say something nice about Michelle Obama.  He said she was ashamed of her racial heritage because she straightens her hair.  :o

I asked him if that means I'm ashamed of my racial heritage if I get a perm.  He said that was a fallacious argument.  I said he was reading too much into a hairstyle.

I am always amazed at how easily some people will embrace total fallacies, and read the worst possible meaning into something their enemy—political or personal—has done. I'm breathless sometimes.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #657 on: October 07, 2013, 07:12:23 PM »
Or catch fire if they pass a candle or fireplace. Equally unlikely, but possibilities nonetheless.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #658 on: October 07, 2013, 07:22:39 PM »
Or catch fire if they pass a candle or fireplace. Equally unlikely, but possibilities nonetheless.

My grandma has lit her hair on a fire a few times, usually leaning too close to a candle (though there was lighting the cigarette on the stove, and gesturing with a cigarette, separate occasions), so I could see this being a real concern in my family.

I'm more likely to do a sweatshirt over the blanket thing, mostly cause I'd trip myself. Or I'd stand still and my dogs would start trying to "nest" in any blanket hitting the ground.

Kate

« Reply #659 on: October 07, 2013, 07:37:20 PM »
On the topic of cutting long hair:  about 20 years ago I cut my hair into a bob that was just above my shoulders.  I thought it looked cute, and so did my husband (that's what he said, anyway).  You wouldn't believe the number of people who asked me "But what does (Husband) think of it?  What did he say?  Was he mad?"  Bewildered, I said "Why on earth should he be mad?  It's MY hair." 

Its because a lot of men seem to prefer long hair and short hair is supposed to be unfeminine and your husband will be turned off if you cut your hair ::)...I've noticed that many men don't have a clue that long hair doesn't look good on everyone.