Author Topic: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about  (Read 90625 times)

nuit93

Re: Ridiculous things your parents criticize you about
« Reply #750 on: October 16, 2013, 11:14:53 PM »
Ok two more things I am criticized for.

1, I talk to fast... so fast they can't understand me.  Now in my defense I have ADD and Dyslexia and I can get pretty fast when I am excited. however my family seem to be the only ones who can't understand me. I deliberately talk really slow too. I always wonder if (my sister mostly) they do it to annoy me.

2, I get told off for being a know it all.  :-\ I read encyclopedias for fun and spend hours on information sites etc. so when something comes up (as I said above) I get really excited and people (mostly family) think I am showing off and trying to be a know it all.

I just find everything fascinating and love sharing knowledge. They seem to ignore all the times I have listened entranced while they tell me new things.

I did this as a kid too.  Still wasn't diagnosed as ADD until my late 20's.  Argh!  Would've been useful to know about a decade and a half sooner!

ammyd

« Reply #751 on: October 17, 2013, 01:07:32 AM »

1, I talk to fast... so fast they can't understand me.  Now in my defense I have ADD and Dyslexia and I can get pretty fast when I am excited. however my family seem to be the only ones who can't understand me. I deliberately talk really slow too. I always wonder if (my sister mostly) they do it to annoy me.

2, I get told off for being a know it all.  :-\ I read encyclopedias for fun and spend hours on information sites etc. so when something comes up (as I said above) I get really excited and people (mostly family) think I am showing off and trying to be a know it all.

I just find everything fascinating and love sharing knowledge. They seem to ignore all the times I have listened entranced while they tell me new things.

I haven't been diagnosed as ADD but my dad wasn't until he was 40 and we have pretty well the same characteristics but I am definitely a fast talker. My friend's older brother told me I talked to fast for him so I tried to slow it down. By the time I got to where he could really get what I was saying I felt like I was going in slow motion.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #752 on: October 17, 2013, 06:43:15 AM »

I haven't been diagnosed as ADD but my dad wasn't until he was 40 and we have pretty well the same characteristics but I am definitely a fast talker. My friend's older brother told me I talked to fast for him so I tried to slow it down. By the time I got to where he could really get what I was saying I felt like I was going in slow motion.

I know that feeling.  I'm not quite up to Gilmore Girl speed but I do tend to talk quickly and trying to slow down makes me feel like I'm going in slow motion.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #753 on: October 17, 2013, 07:34:27 AM »
I talked fast (and loud!) because I was one of four kids. If you had something to say you'd better get it out fast, before someone starts talking over you! My poor mom was constantly telling us to slow down and lower our voices. As adults now we do, except when we get together. Then it's just like when we were kids. :-)
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #754 on: October 17, 2013, 07:43:20 AM »
I talked fast (and loud!) because I was one of four kids. If you had something to say you'd better get it out fast, before someone starts talking over you! My poor mom was constantly telling us to slow down and lower our voices. As adults now we do, except when we get together. Then it's just like when we were kids. :-)

Sounds right.  I laughed when I watched "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" when Toula said her cousins had two volumes, loud and louder, because my family is like that too.  Though our family isn't Greek, it's Irish/Italian but there's a lot of the "The louder I am, the more valid my argument" mentality going on.  Add that to my grandmother, mother and her sisters not quite getting the idea that Granddaddy having a hearing aid doesn't mean yell at the poor guy, just speak normally. 

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #755 on: October 17, 2013, 08:56:28 AM »
Ha! Regarding the voices and speech volume - one of my uncles (in his late 60's) always tells me off because I sound like my mother (his SIL) when I'm on the phone.
Because I can change the tone, timbre and accent of my voice at will just so he knows whose house he's called (the two numbers are next to each other on his speed-dial).

Another thing this same uncle criticises my generation in general for is our technological savvy. He hates mobile phones and curses at everything more complicated than a TV remote, so when he came over to Mum & Da's at Christmas and saw me sitting at the table typing up some hand-written recipes at my average reading-to-typed speed of approx. 55WPM he told me that I was just showing off and that my typing would be full of errors.

He then refused to speak to me when I showed him 34 pages of error-free transcription and that I'd continued to type up what I was reading even while being shouted at.

Apparently he's not coming to Christmas this year, because he's got a new girlfriend. No-one in the family has expressed much dismay at this development.

... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #756 on: October 17, 2013, 09:48:04 AM »
oh my goodness, the loud thing.

My mum is deaf and granddad was deaf and I lived with him. I was the only one who he could here. I don't shout, I project.

I am always being told to talk more quietly. My Husband will sometimes interrupt and just say "indoor voice"  >:(
it's always worse if I am excited.

I was diagnosed with Dyslexia at 8 but the ADD is new (I am 30).
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #757 on: October 17, 2013, 11:19:16 AM »

I know that feeling.  I'm not quite up to Gilmore Girl speed but I do tend to talk quickly and trying to slow down makes me feel like I'm going in slow motion.

They always said that talked fast on that show....sounded normal to me. :)

I come from a family of fast talkers, and yet I get criticized for talking too fast, I learned from them! Of course not only do I talk fast but I often drop words or letters making it hard to understand me. When I slow down I feel like I speaking crazy insultingly slow, but everyone else is like "Ok, now we understand you".

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #758 on: October 17, 2013, 11:34:37 AM »
Fast talking reminds me of another criticism.  Fast eating.  It wasn't until I starting eating with other people (friends, coworkers) that I realised I eat at a normal speed and the family members who criticise ate slow (which is fine, but I don't say anything to you so please show the same respect for me.)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #759 on: October 17, 2013, 12:48:46 PM »
DH now eats at a moderate pace, but when we first met, he was in the Army and ate his entire meal in 15 minutes or less. It took years before we could enjoy a meal together, especially salads as I take a very long time to eat a salad.

DFIL eats very fast, usually finishing his plate before anyone else is 1/3 done with theirs, so it may be a family trait.

DS eats at a moderate pace, he just eats a lot since he is growing so fast!

heartmug

« Reply #760 on: October 17, 2013, 01:54:08 PM »

Sounds right.  I laughed when I watched "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" when Toula said her cousins had two volumes, loud and louder, because my family is like that too.  Though our family isn't Greek, it's Irish/Italian but there's a lot of the "The louder I am, the more valid my argument" mentality going on.  Add that to my grandmother, mother and her sisters not quite getting the idea that Granddaddy having a hearing aid doesn't mean yell at the poor guy, just speak normally.

When I first met DH's family and MIL and her sisters/brothers-in-law were there that is exactly what it was like.  I come from a quiet family and I was stunned.  I asked DH "who is doing the listening?"
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

Gyburc

« Reply #761 on: October 17, 2013, 02:08:47 PM »
OT, but I got on the bus once, a few years ago, to find about 20 Italian students (late teens) and two adults who looked to be their teachers. As the bus pulled away from the stop, I swear that every. single. one. of them started talking at once. I kept looking round to see if any of them were actually listening, but couldn't see a single person who wasn't talking.

;D

(Except for the bus driver, of course. From the look on his face, this had been going on for some time before I got on... poor chap...)
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

CakeEater

« Reply #762 on: October 17, 2013, 05:14:45 PM »
DH now eats at a moderate pace, but when we first met, he was in the Army and ate his entire meal in 15 minutes or less. It took years before we could enjoy a meal together, especially salads as I take a very long time to eat a salad.

DFIL eats very fast, usually finishing his plate before anyone else is 1/3 done with theirs, so it may be a family trait.

15 minutes seems like a pretty leisurely pace to eat a meal to me. Although I'm pretty focused when it comes to food.

Shalamar

« Reply #763 on: October 17, 2013, 05:20:32 PM »
I used to work the night shift at a company, doing their data entry.  The cleaners that came in during my shift were a family (husband, wife, and daughter).  They didn't talk to each other; they SHOUTED.  Considering that I was trying to hear customers' orders, that was not fun.  Plus, I kept thinking that they were fighting.  They were shouting in a language I didn't speak - Greek, I think - and they always sounded angry!.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #764 on: October 17, 2013, 06:12:13 PM »

I'd never dealt with a fast or slow eater until we had my son. DH might eat a smidgen faster than me, but neither of us inhales our food. Good grief our son eats slow. Like last night, I decided to do a brocolli/mushroom frittata, sausage and fruit. Each of us had a third of the fritatta, a sausage link, and fruit. DS eats one thing at a time. DH and I had finished our plates before DS finished his fritatta let alone the fruit. Then he complained the frittata was too rich but I told him if he'd eat a little of it, a little fruit or sausage, it would cut the richness.