Author Topic: How to answer this comment: "The item you're selling on ebay is worthless"  (Read 6184 times)

lowspark

I sell a lot of stuff on ebay and my philosophy is that you never know what someone will buy, and at what price. In other words, any item is worth what someone will pay. So, I list stuff that might, on first glance, strike someone as, "why would you sell THAT? It's not even worth a dime." But you know, I've sold lots of stuff that could fall into that category.

Every once in a while I get a message through ebay saying something like, "this item you're selling isn't worth anything". I pretty much ignore those comments because I have no idea how to reply. I can't understand why they are telling me this. Is it because they're mad at me for listing it? Are they trying to tell me not to waste my time (already wasted as the bulk of the work is in the listing of an item)? Are they pointing and laughing (ha ha, you'll never sell that!)?

I've considered replying with
"You'd be surprised at what people will buy"
or
"Thanks for your comments."
or
"I've sold several of these at this price already" (true in one case of this happening)

I don't want to be rude but I don't get their motivation for messaging me in the first place. I figure the best thing to do is ignore (which is probably rude in and of itself) but really...

What do you do?

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: How to answer this comment: "The item you're selling on ebay is worthless"
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 11:17:21 AM »
Ignore them. There are people whose lives are so pathetic that all they can do to make themselves feel better is to put other people down. The anonymity of the 'net makes it all the easier for them.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

veronaz

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 11:55:00 AM »
My first impulse would be to reply "Thanks for sharing".

But better to delete the pointless, stupid comment, not reply, and move on.  Otherwise you have a back-and-forth going on and no one needs that. 

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 01:26:03 PM »
From a stranger or even casual acquaintance, ignore it. What kind of person wastes their time doing an eBay search for Special Widget I Consider Worthless in order to email you about them?

From someone I knew reasonably well, I might ask why they were telling me this. "You're wasting the listing fees" is different from "it's probably counterfeit, most of the XYZ Widgets out there are." Of course, from someone I knew reasonably well, I could probably tell the difference between "nobody is going to buy that, I tried selling mine last month" and "only an idiot would buy those." (There are plenty of things where I either don't understand why people want them at all, or I think they are seriously overpriced, but that means I don't spend my money on those things; I don't run around trying to convince the world that they shouldn't be spending their money on those specific doodads.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 01:30:53 PM »
This is why I only send messages to sellers to let them know a key word to add to their search that might bring in more potential buyers (i.e. - that is not a "Barbie" doll, that is a "Princess Diana" or "Disney Sleeping Beauty" doll or something similar).  As to whether or not more buyers is always a good thing - I don't know.

I have sold ONE thing on eBay and found out that they take a cut out of the shipping and the selling price - which meant that I sold at a loss and had to pay for part of the shipping out of pocket, too.  I am looking at my spare laptop (two story house and one died just before vacation last year - I needed an immediate replacement, but it got delivered after we left*) and convincing myself that I'm better off keeping it around as a spare than trying to sell it and handing them $$.

If I can't sell it on Craigslist - I will probably keep it!  It's listed right now and I am not even getting emails from people asking if I will ship it to their cousin in Nigeria, along with the $2K USA change from the money order they'll send me!  No scammers at all!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 01:34:35 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

MrTango

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 02:29:50 PM »
How about: "If you feel it's worthless, then don't bid on it."

lowspark

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 05:03:05 PM »
Good. Ignoring them is what I've been doing and will continue to do.

What kind of person wastes their time doing an eBay search for Special Widget I Consider Worthless in order to email you about them?
Exactly. I just don't get the motivation. These are from complete strangers.

I have sold ONE thing on eBay and found out that they take a cut out of the shipping and the selling price...

Yeah. It's crummy that they take so much but the flip side is that there is no way I could sell this stuff without them so whatcha gonna do. I offer free shipping on all of my auctions and just build the shipping cost into my opening bid price so even after ebay (and paypal) take their cut, I still make a profit. I've sold stuff on craigslist but the audience is just exponentially larger on ebay.

Anyway thanks for the validation on ignoring these people.

AnnaJane

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 06:05:14 PM »
Ignore them. I'd bet they're trying to lower the price, in a kind of marketplace version of "negging".

triciadi

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 12:40:02 PM »
"One man's trash is another man's treasure."

Specky

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 01:10:37 PM »

Hey, now!  Too much of that will get you your own episode on Hoarders.  >:D

nyarlathotep

• My other blade is Vorpal
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 01:22:37 PM »
"Don't buy it, then."

BarensMom

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 01:32:22 PM »

Hence the market in used pregnancy sticks. :P

Crazy Chicken Lady

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 01:35:15 PM »
I wouldn't even reply. There is a market for pretty much anything. What may seem worthless to me may be the exact thing someone across the country has been searching for.  :)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 01:38:24 PM »
Probably not eHell approved, but my first thought is "and you care why?" Of course, that invites a response. As a PP suggested "Then don't bid on it" is probably a better response.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 02:12:57 PM »
Don't answer them. And consider adding them to your blocked bidders list.

A person who would take the time to email something like that is either a troll or trying to get you to lower the price.

If they do then bid on your auction and win after emailing a comment like that, You can bet they will try to argue over the shipping and ding you in the reputation points.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.