Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Ideas for grilling vegetables

<< < (2/3) > >>

blarg314:

I think the Asian eggplants (the long, skinny ones) would grill really well whole. Slice and mix with grilled cherry tomatoes, onion, and season with lemon, olive oil and garlic.

Asparagus is good grilled - season afterwards with a squeeze of lemon, a bit of red pepper flakes, and a quick grating of parmesan.

Whole corn on the cob (shucked), grilled until slightly blackened and seasoned with chili powder, salt and fresh lime juice.

Library Dragon:
I do onions in foil packs.  Drizzle with olive oil and add a few caraway seeds.  Yummy!

SCMagnolia:
You can grill just about anything.

I use a grill basket and toss zucchini, onions, green peppers, yellow squash, and mushrooms in olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  You can also make a marinade with red wine vinegar, olive oil, dried oregano, dried basil, and a pinch of crushed red pepper (sorry I don't have amounts, I go by taste and smell!).  Marinate the veggies for 20 minutes and then put them on the grill.   You can add tomatoes, but if you do, add them in just the last few minutes of grilling, otherwise, they cook away to nothing.

I cut potatoes into 1" pieces, parboil them until they are just barely fork-tender, and then toss them with olive oil, vidalia onion rings, and whatever fresh herbs I have handy (rosemary is fantastic on potatoes), and salt and pepper.  Wrap in foil and grill 15 minutes or so on each side.  My family LOVES these!

I've really just started grilling corn.  I will cook it in boiling water for a few minutes to make sure it's cooked and tender and then put it on the grill until it's slightly charred.  Grilling brings out so much of its natural sweetness!

If you want a real treat, try grilling pineapple or peaches!  Absolutely out-of-this-world amazing on the grill!

Drunken Housewife:
A lot of vegetables do best if you pre-cook them a bit (boil them for a while) then throw them on the grill.

I usually use a marinade made from reduced port and some vinegar, plus butter, which I brush on everything.  my husband loves grilled potatoes and corn on the cob especially, both of which I preboil (but not until completely done) and then finish on the grill with lots of sauce brushed on.

It's also nice to make some skewers, with things like cubes of tofu, bits of bell pepper, bits of onion, cherry tomatoes, and the like.  These will grill well and don't need a precooking step.  I like to include a slice of lemon on the skewers.

Grilled portobello mushrooms are very popular.

Another fun idea is to grill romaine lettuce for a salad.  There was a trend for that some years back.  I got the idea from Food & Wine magazine, and I went to restaurants which had it.  I made a vegetarian version of a Caesar salad with grilld romaine and loved it.

AmethystAnne:
DH and I like to grill unshucked corn on the cob.

Do not shuck the ears, submerge them totally underwater for about 20 or so minutes, take each one out, squeeze the tassel at the to get out extra water, place the ears on the grill rack over hot charcoal briquittes, rotate the ears until all the sides have been 'branded' by the rack, and then take them off the grill.

The silk will come off easier, the corn has a slight smoky flavor, really yummy!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version