A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Types of houses

<< < (15/15)

exitzero:

--- Quote from: camlan on September 01, 2013, 05:31:52 PM ---Duplexes in the US can be split either horizontally or vertically. I live in a duplex--I have the entire second floor, plus a laundry room and storage area in the basement.

The house next door to mine is also a duplex, but split vertically.

In and around Boston, there are tri-plexes. I have no idea what the correct name for them is, as everyone just calls them "triple deckers." They are a three-family home with each "house" being one complete floor of the building.

--- End quote ---

I just came across this thread, and I need to correct you. Around here they are called "triple deckahs"! :)

camlan:

--- Quote from: exitzero on October 04, 2013, 02:22:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: camlan on September 01, 2013, 05:31:52 PM ---Duplexes in the US can be split either horizontally or vertically. I live in a duplex--I have the entire second floor, plus a laundry room and storage area in the basement.

The house next door to mine is also a duplex, but split vertically.

In and around Boston, there are tri-plexes. I have no idea what the correct name for them is, as everyone just calls them "triple deckers." They are a three-family home with each "house" being one complete floor of the building.

--- End quote ---

I just came across this thread, and I need to correct you. Around here they are called "triple deckahs"! :)

--- End quote ---

I was translating for the non-Bostonians amongst us.  ;)

EllenS:
Many rental properties (single family homes or apartment complexes) in the US are managed under contract to a "Management Company" that serves one or many properties. 

This makes sense for an individual property owner, if you do not have the skills to physically maintain the property yourself, or live far away.  For a large building or complex that may have individual units owned by different people, or which is owned by silent investors, the Management Company will do all the day-to-day stuff for a % of the rent.

In that case, any complaints or problems about neighbors would be directed first to the management company, rather than your or the neighbor's landlord.

Snooks:
I own a flat in the UK and DH owned one before we moved in together and they've both had the same set up.  We have a management company that runs the "Residents Association" which collects our ground rent and management fee (which is collected monthly, ours is very low but my old boss was paying 100+ a month for hers), as the owner of the property you get invited to the AGM where you decide how that money is going to be spent - in reality they send out a budget and you agree it.  The budget covers things like gardening, general maintenance such as painting the outside of the block, insurance etc.  As the management company holds information for all the landlords so if you want to complain you go to them and they investigate the issue and contact the other landlord where necessary.  So if we were renting we'd go to our landlord (or letting agent) they'd go to the management company with the complaint and it would come back down the chain.

The management company also deals with general maintenance (repointing brickwork, fixing paving stones), currently there's talk of seeing if we can go through the management company to get a good deal on double glazing if enough owners want to contribute.  That wouldn't come out of company funds but they would centralise the process.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version