General Etiquette > Family and Children

High School Band Fundraising ... can we just pay?

(1/11) > >>

Please pass the Calgon:
My daughter is a freshman on her high school Colorguard team. She's loving 95% of the experience. The 5% that's not so great is the constant barrage of "you must fundraise" that the kids get from the Band Director and Booster Club. I've drafted a letter to send to the Band Director explaining our situation/position but wanted to run it by eHell to be sure its equal parts polite & clear...

"Mr Director,

When you have a moment could you please send me the total amount that my daughter, Lovely Child (a freshman on the Colorguard team), is expected to contribute for participating in this year's Marching Band? We have already paid for her Colorguard uniform as well as BandCamp & its associated costs.

By way of explanation, we're in the position of not having an extended family to solicit the fundraisers amongst, and our friends already have students & fundraisers within their own families to contribute toward. My husband & I would much rather pay Lovely's fees out of pocket and have 100% of our money go toward her participation than keep buying merchandise we don't need "in the name of fundraising" when she gets only a small % of each sale AND we'd still have to cover any remainder of her Band/CG tab. I'm sure the Marching Band apparel is great, it's very nice looking in the brochure. In our situation though it makes better sense to put $35 directly toward Lovely's account rather than buy a Band sweatshirt for $35, have Lovely get an $8 credit for the purchase and then us send in an additional $27 (so $62 spent total) to bring her account total down by $35.

I understand that fundraising is a big part of Band, and I know my daughter has been left feeling a little "less than worthy" because we don't have a network of family/friends/coworkers to hit up at fundraiser time. Please be assured that we intend to cover her costs ourselves and once I know the total amount I will work either payment in full or payment in installations into our budget.

Thank you,
Calgon"

Would I be totally out of line to send this? My goals are to let him know that we intend to cover her costs out of pocket and to get them to quit hassling her about fundraising. I also really don't want to get a "oh you can hit up coworkers, friends & random strangers too" email back from him.

CakeEater:
I would LOVE you to send this. I hate fundraisers with such a firey passion.

It might be a tad wordy, but I think you've been very measured and polite.

Library Dragon:
We did something similar when DS1 was in scholars bowl and than with the JrROTC Rifle Team.  Tell me what the goal is and I'll write a check. 

DS2 was supposed to do fundraising for the 8th grade trip.  I supplied lots of good items for the yard sale, but here's a check.  I'm not driving over 30 miles at 7am on a Saturday so he can wash cars.   Any sanely timed activities? He'll be there.

Bethalize:
I absolutely agree about parents should be allowed to contribute the costs directly, it's more efficient. However, I think there should be an additional percentage because a child opting out of whole team fundraisers affects those who aren't so lucky and who need the fundraising opportunities.

MariaE:

--- Quote from: Bethalize on September 03, 2013, 03:41:52 AM ---I absolutely agree about parents should be allowed to contribute the costs directly, it's more efficient. However, I think there should be an additional percentage because a child opting out of whole team fundraisers affects those who aren't so lucky and who need the fundraising opportunities.

--- End quote ---

I understood the OP as just opting out of personal fundraisers - i.e. each student selling merchandise to their family and friends - rather than opting out of team fundraisers - i.e. a communal carwash etc.

I agree that if the goal is to opt out of team fundraisers as well, there should be an added percentage. If it's just the personal fundraisers it shouldn't make a difference to the team as a whole.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version