Author Topic: Need some advice  (Read 1973 times)

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
Need some advice
« on: September 03, 2013, 02:52:43 PM »
Not sure how to do this without burning any bridges, and I'm also not sure that I can do it without at least setting a slight flame alight.

B/G (I'll try to keep it short) - I was hired earlier this year as a temp for a large company. It was a rough time starting out as there was no training or any info available, but I was able to survive and thrive and my support group has continually expanded as a result, and my work is valued by everyone I support. In addition to my regular support group, I also recently acquired a higher level employee. His support requires a higher level of attention to detail, etc.
end B/G

With all of the changes, my position has been up in the air all summer. It has solidified as of today and the person in the group who originally hired me (group A) has asked me to post (apply) for their open full time position. Higher level employee (group B) has also asked me to post (apply) for his position.

The great news is, that I'm in demand by both groups. The bad news is, I'm going to have to decline group A's offer and I feel guilty about it as they are the people who got me started here in the first place. But I have a much better rapport with the higher level employee from Group B and I think that his role will not only enable me to earn more, but has far greater learning and promotion potential.

My question, if you got this far, is how can I delicately turn down group A? I don't want to apply for their position and waste everyone's time, but I also don't want to - as I said - burn bridges.

Any diplomatic solutions on this would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:02:42 PM by MamaMootz »
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

EllenS

Re: Need some advice
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 02:59:41 PM »
As I understand your post, you have an actual offer for both positions?

In that case, I would simply say "thank you so much, but B has asked me to join his group. I appreciate all you have taught me and look forward to joining the team at [Company]"

Don't say anything about why you made that choice.  If pressed, you could possibly say, "I really enjoyed working with A and learned a lot, but B was too good an opportunity to pass up."

LeveeWoman

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 03:03:33 PM »
If the pay is higher, cite that. No one should begrudge you the chance to better support yourself and your family.

MamaMootz

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 03:03:59 PM »

No offer on the table, but they both strongly advised me to apply for their positions. I don't want to apply for Group A but I don't know how to turn them down.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 03:11:02 PM »
Do you have to go through interviews for the position?  Is it an internal position only or is the job accepting applications from outside applicants as well.

I personally would apply for both of them.  I would apply to Group B first and then let your contact know that Group A has also offered you a full time position, but you would prefer to work with them.  A couple of days later you can talk to your contact in Group A, and let them know that you were asked to and applied for a job with Group B.  Ask if they still want you to apply for their open position.  They may realize that they won't get you and just step back and let Group B have you.  However, if they say yes, then go ahead and apply.  It's their decision to take the time to go through the application process.

I wouldn't say anything to either about the timing of the offers to apply.  Neither of them need to know that Group A asked you first.
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 03:12:42 PM »
Is there any reason you can't apply for both positions?

Neither one is a given. You could apply for Position B and even with the backing of the one employee who is encouraging you, still not get the job.

The only reason not to apply for Position A is if you absolutely hate the work and the people involved.

I'd rather apply for two jobs and get two job offers and then have to choose, then to apply for one job and possibly not get it.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 03:21:49 PM »
   You don't tell group a "no" at this point , you don't have a job offer yet.   Ask if you can apply for both or if you have to pick one.  If you have to pick one use any other true thing  (as long as it is not related to your relationships with the people involved) for your reason. You could even say "I'm only allowed to apply for one position. Ive already applied  to group B" 

GreenBird

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 03:23:06 PM »
This is a tricky one.  I'd seriously consider applying for both positions - until you have an offer in hand, you don't have a job.  Things may change such that A or B is suddenly unable to offer you their position for whatever reason, and if you haven't applied for both you may find yourself out in the cold.  Also, there may be details to each position (pay, duties, opportunities for advancement) that you don't know about, and you won't know about unless you apply and interview.  Once you have all of the actual details from interviewing, and the details of whatever offers you actually receive, then choose the one that seems best for you.  But don't rule out either one before you actually have a concrete offer - after all, things have been up in the air all summer and could change again!

As for what to tell people if you get offered both positions, I'd stress that it was a very difficult decision, you feel very lucky to have had two excellent choices, but you could only pick one.  Notice that that's not really an answer to why you chose B over A - most people don't actually need that answer from you and should be deflected rather than answered.  For what to tell A, I'd still stress that it was a very difficult decision, you would have greatly enjoyed either position, but you ended up going with B because of the slightly higher compensation (as LeveeWoman said, more money is hard to argue with when choosing a job - it's one of the main purposes of working). 

And congrats on having such a difficult decision to make!

lowspark

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 03:53:01 PM »
I agree. Apply for both positions. Until you have a firm offer, don't close any doors. If B offers first, accept it and notify A. If A offers first, approach B and just let them know that A has offered and that you'd prefer to work with B if that opportunity is there and tell them your deadline for accepting the offer from A.

As to how to tell A if in fact B does offer, you thank them for the opportunity and tell them that you felt B was the better opportunity. You don't have to tell the reasons unless asked. If asked, since it's the same company, I would go ahead and just say:
[from your post]:
"I have a much better very good rapport with the higher level employee from Group B and I think that his role will not only enable me to earn more, but has far greater learning and promotion potential."

I wouldn't mention the money aspect because
a) you don't want to make it sound like money is your only or even primary motivation (even if it is, it just doesn't sound good to say so)
b) you don't want A to come back with a higher offer and then be even more unhappy when you turn that down.

MrTango

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 03:56:41 PM »
I think that until you have a written offer on the table, you should pursue both positions.  Just because you're being encouraged to apply for Position B, there is no guarantee they will give you an actual offer.

If you do end up getting offers from both positions, I would tell the people offering you position A that you feel position B is a better fit for your career interests.

EllenS

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
Agree with PP's.  Just because you like B's manager and he has encouraged you to apply, does not mean you will be chosen. There is no conflict or issue of "turning down" unless you actually have written job offers.  And until you have a written offer in your hand, the job is not yours to take or turn down. 

Unless, you are so negative toward Group A that you would not work for them under any circumstances.  If you would rather be unemployed than work for Group A, just don't say anything about applying unless asked directly by the hiring manager "why haven't you applied?".  Then you can say you are considering several directions for your career, or some noncommittal stuff.  But I assume you WOULD want to work for Group A if you don't get the job with Group B?

MamaMootz

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 04:39:34 PM »
Ok, thanks for the advice. I can't post more without possibly giving away my workplace... but you have all given me something to consider.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 04:50:25 PM »

No offer on the table, but they both strongly advised me to apply for their positions. I don't want to apply for Group A but I don't know how to turn them down.

My recommendation is to apply to both and go through both interview processes. Let both groups know you are double applying.

Once you get an offer from group A, you explain that group Bs position better aligns with your long term goals. You've enjoyed working in their group and are glad you'll be able to continue to grow your professional relationship with them while working in the other group. 

Remember, its business, not personal.

DollyPond

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »
Also agree with previous posters about applying for both.

Nothing is certain until you have a written offer in hand.  I have seen too many positions vaporize even when someone is told they are a shoo-in for the job.

It is very easy to wind up with nothing instead of the promised position.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 06:19:58 PM »

Apply for them both. Don't turn anyone down until you have an actual, enforceable offer.