Author Topic: Doesn't sound as good using the initials...  (Read 2254 times)

Lillie82

Doesn't sound as good using the initials...
« on: September 03, 2013, 05:04:39 PM »
There is a faith-based financial planning seminar called Financial Peace University. Which is kind of a cool name - but, somehow, when you use the initials, it...doesn't sound right.

Of course that would also apply to Florida University or Pennsylvania University

(I hope I didn't duplicate an acronym thread. I couldn't find one, so I figured if there was one, it was old.)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Doesn't sound as good using the initials...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 08:59:12 PM »
When I was working, my pay checks were written by the Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences.  It was a very liberal and inclusive institution.

However, BIAS didn't quite get across the message they wanted to convey. 

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 09:03:29 PM »
My BFF and I always called one of our buddies at work VD (her initials)... Not behind her back or in a catty way, that's just what we called her, she laughed about it, she (VD) has our same sense of humor.
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 09:07:18 PM »
I saw an ad on TV this past weekend for a technical school called UTI. Ummmmm, I think I don't want that on my graduation certificate or diploma.

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 12:07:46 AM »
Delia, those are my initials after I married.

At the job I was in at the time we signed everything with out initials and the other ladies I worked with giggled every time they saw it. For months. Good thing I have a sense of humour!

kelly_jeanie

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 12:35:53 AM »
I saw an ad on TV this past weekend for a technical school called UTI. Ummmmm, I think I don't want that on my graduation certificate or diploma.

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread.   :o

cwm

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 10:19:33 AM »
Friends University of Central Kansas. Nondenominational Christian University.

Seattle nearly had the South Lake Union Trolley. They changed it to the South Lake Union Streetcar. Not quite as fun.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 10:25:55 AM »

I've seen that one too....someone really didn't think that one through. There's also one that is SNHU. My dorky husband thinks that's funny..."Hey, what's SNHU with you?"  ::)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 10:32:10 AM »
I have a friend who has a  double first name, with the initials MF. Which many of us call her. She told a funny story about when she was in Ireland, visiting family, and a relative, a priest no less, wanted to know why calling her by her initials wasn/t really polite!

Another one is a college near where I went to school, in Baltimore. It is (or was) the College of Notre Dame of Maryland, an all women's Catholic school.

If you take the bolded letters and make a word, you get a certain form of scrabble-protection. Which we always thought was hilarious!

cwm

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 01:43:44 PM »
At my last job we also had a lot of the girls who watched Vampire Diaries. And they'd talk about it at work. As in "Did you catch VD last night?"

It became a running joke, but the first time a manager heard it, she put a violent stop to it. I don't imagine most of our customers would have been amused.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 02:07:11 PM »
My BFF and I always called one of our buddies at work VD (her initials)... Not behind her back or in a catty way, that's just what we called her, she laughed about it, she (VD) has our same sense of humor.

I had a coworker whose initials were ED, and we worked in a dr's office.  There was some joking as to what it stood for but she was one of the people joking about it so it worked out well. :)

I remember joking when Three Musketeers came out in the 90's, with Charlie Sheen, Oliver Platt, Chris O'Donnell and Kiefer Sutherland, and then there was that song sung by Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart and Sting.  I didn't even think of it till a friend pointed out the bolded initials. Haven't been able to look at it the same way since. *snicker*
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

pwv

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 06:08:34 PM »
I once worked on a project with the initials of A I D S.  We had been using that combination long before the disease became well known.  We later dropped the "D" to avoid confusion.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 09:54:15 PM »
I have a friend with the initials V.D. She was helping a friend of hers out with some business paperwork. He told her, "Initial that so I know you dealt with it." Her response: "I don't put my initials on anything -- would you?"

Then there's the abbreviation for Save the Date we see here on Ehell a lot: "I got an STD from my sister."  :o

My initials are B.S. I have fun with that sometimes. I used to write a column for my organization's newsletter and I called it "A little B.S." Once I got a Publishers Clearinghouse mailing that said on the front, "Someone with these initials could be a winner!" with an arrow pointing to "B.S." Yeah, truth in advertising!

Dan Rather claims his alma mater had to change its name when students started wearing shirts with the initials -- Sam Houston Institute for Teachers. Not sure I believe that, though.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 11:49:50 AM »
I have an aunt whose (maiden name) initials were M.E.  She used to sign something out at the library using her initials instead of her name, and the librarians got so mad at "whoever keeps signing things 'me'!"

exitzero

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 11:54:12 AM »
There used to be company near my place of employement named "PMS". I can't remember what the letters stood for, but honestly, most of the people who worked there where grouchy cranks, so the name fit perfectly.
Sadly, they changed it. Probably after one too many jokes.