Author Topic: Cell Phone Ban  (Read 9338 times)

MrTango

Re: Cell Phone Ban
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2013, 04:20:58 PM »
If I received an invitation that said that there were no cell-phones allowed at a social event, I'd decline the invitation.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2013, 04:31:02 PM »
If I received an invitation that said that there were no cell-phones allowed at a social event, I'd decline the invitation.

Same here.  It's insulting to the guests to ban cell phones because you (general you) can't trust them to behave themselves.

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2013, 04:32:40 PM »
Rude people are rude people. Technology does not make anyone rude. Technology can be absolutely great. Not embrasing techonology does not equal being being somehow more polite than those who do.

There is no polite way of asking people to not have their phones with them.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2013, 05:17:43 PM »
Rude people are rude people. Technology does not make anyone rude. Technology can be absolutely great. Not embrasing techonology does not equal being being somehow more polite than those who do.

There is no polite way of asking people to not have their phones with them.

This. Technology isn't rude, but people can use technology in a rude way.  I haven't encountered it often at social events I've attended but I do have a photo of a Bday celebration that makes me chuckle but also irritates me. We were attending a celebration for my 20ish nephew. The photo of him blowing out the candle taken by his wife shows everyone around the table watching with a cell phone in front of their face taking a photo. It really distracts from the photo.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2013, 06:46:05 PM »
  I've been to 3 wedding in the last 2 years.  I didn't notice anyone hunches over a cell phone at all ever.   I'm sure a couple people took pictures with them but not from in the aisle or on the dance floor (unless instructed it was Ok for them to do so)The brides had some candid shots up on FB the day after the wedding I'm sure some of those where from smart phones.   The bride wanted those candid shots and was really glad she had them when it took the photographer 6 months to get the proofs to her.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2013, 08:06:20 PM »
At a school event tonight, I heard cell phones ringing while the principal was talking, saw people checking their phones, and taking calls without leaving the area.  Every place I go from stores, to restaurants, to the bus...people in my town I guess, are addicted to their phones.

CuriousParty

« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2013, 08:10:46 PM »
My problem with the "this is how parents used to do it and everyone survived" is this - it IS how the MOB did it, probably, and the MOG too.  But it is NOT how the majority of current parents have ever done it.  It is as foreign to their experience as churning your own butter (at least some of them might have done that as a craft/scouts activity:). The current generation of parents (of which I am one, and on the older side, so I know the younger ones probably even more so) grew up with this technology as a part of their day to day experience, and it is how they function. For parenting, for communicating, for taking photos.  No, I don't think you can tell adult guests how to behave, any more than you can tell Great Aunt Lucy not to wear the gawdawful green dress with purple spots and carry her "best wishes" pink purse.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:10:32 PM by CuriousParty »

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2013, 08:36:44 PM »
Am I the only person who has gone to events and not seen people hunched over their phones? I went to a wedding last month and I don't remember anyone using their phones at all.

Nope, not the only one. IMO, it might be that someone sees one or two people using their phones and exaggerate the usage. 

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2013, 12:48:53 AM »
At a school event tonight, I heard cell phones ringing while the principal was talking, saw people checking their phones, and taking calls without leaving the area.  Every place I go from stores, to restaurants, to the bus...people in my town I guess, are addicted to their phones.

Why in the world do you care whether people use their cell phones on the bus?

Oh Joy

« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2013, 03:53:46 AM »
Here's one small angle that's not being considered: eye contact.  When I walked down the aisle a few years ago, I had the experience of smiling at guests while they smiled at the image of me on their phone screens.  That it was a phone and not a camera is irrelevant; these guests - while happy and acting with the best intent - weren't able to connect, when the community presence is often an important part of a wedding ceremony.

Certainly didn't ruin my day, but I really wish I could have made eye contact instead of watching them smile at a rectangle in their hand.  I knew they were radiating affection, but it didn't really reach me, KWIM?

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2013, 07:12:53 AM »

Because of becoming a captive audience to their private lives when they shout on the phone.

Public transportation is noisy enough in a city like mine without having to deal with that.  I dread the day when reception arrives to the full subway line.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2013, 07:20:22 AM »

Because of becoming a captive audience to their private lives when they shout on the phone.

Public transportation is noisy enough in a city like mine without having to deal with that.  I dread the day when reception arrives to the full subway line.

Shouting is always rude (baring emergencies of course), but having a normal volume conversation is not rude no matter whether it's in person or on the phone. The topic matter may be, but that's regardless of the media.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2013, 08:01:57 AM »

Shouting is always rude (baring emergencies of course), but having a normal volume conversation is not rude no matter whether it's in person or on the phone. The topic matter may be, but that's regardless of the media.

Exactly. I don't shout on my phone - there's no need.

And the other rule also applies. Just because you don't like something does not make it rude.

Yes there are people who are rude when using their mobile phones but it's the people, not the phone that is the issue.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2013, 08:36:13 AM »
ITA with Perfect Circle.

Some people may not behave properly in any context, regardless of technology.

jmarvellous

« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2013, 08:53:50 AM »
When I got married three months ago, all our guests, to my knowledge, had cell phones, and maybe half had phones capable of taking pictures; many others had digital cameras. They did take tons of photos, but they were in no way a distraction from the event.

We did set up a site (weddingturtle.com sends you 500(!) free business cards with your personal URL so people can upload photos of your event; we set them out on the guestbook table) and were very grateful when 5 guests uploaded about 400 photos, many from unexpected angles and exactly one silly shot of someone posing with a camera in front of their face.

My friends and family did not need to be told not to pay attention to their phones instead of the actual events of the day. If I thought a person needed to be told, I might choose to ignore their behavior rather than confront them in advance, but I can see why someone might do that.

FWIW, I found our photographer (pro, but a family member doing it for free) much more of a distraction than anyone's quick snapshots! I wanted to be hanging out with all my guests, and there he was, having us pose for just one more group shot! I'm definitely immensely grateful for all those photos today, but "best day of my life" and "standing still and smiling till my cheeks hurt" aren't necessarily synonymous to me!