Author Topic: The Skunk Whisperer  (Read 1409 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
The Skunk Whisperer
« on: September 04, 2013, 03:10:49 AM »
A couple of months ago a skunk set up housekeeping near where we park our car in a parking lot across the alley.  Well, every time we went to the car we could smell this faint skunky smell.  Finally, after a long time, the smell went away and we figured the critter had moved on.  Thanks heavens for that!
But we celebrated too soon.  We have no proper basement in our house.  We only have a crawl space where no one I know could possibly crawl.  Some of our feral cats live under there and, now, apparently, so does a skunk.  In fact, as I sit here typing I think he must have just sprayed something. 
The smell is awful and just constantly hangs around in the house.  Does anyone have an idea of how to make him go away? We don't keep the outdoor cats' food out any longer than it takes them to eat, so I know he isn't here for the grub.   
I'm going to have my husband help me to do some skunk whispering tonight to see if we can psychically move him on. 
Any advise would be appreciated.
(I hope we don't smell like that... :o )
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

wonderfullyanonymous

Re: The Skunk Whisperer
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 09:45:16 AM »
Load up some cotton balls with peppermint oil. not the imitation stuff, the real stuff, and toss them around the crawl space. Use a lot, and keep some on hand to repelenish the supply. The cats won't reside there while the oil is strong, but they may be staying away anyways, because of the skunk.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 10:29:33 AM »
Would running the hose in the crawl space damage anything?  Making the entire area wet will encourage Pepe Le Pew to move it along.

Failing that, get a live trap, bait it with cat food or peanut butter or something equally smelly.  When Pepe gets trapped, cover the whole thing with an old towel or blanket.  Find a friend with a pick-up who is willing to transport Pepe for you and release him away from civilization.  Check your local laws to make sure this is legal, though.

I did this but I actually put the trap in the back of my station wagon.  I wouldn't recommend it.  If Pepe had let go, I would never have gotten the smell out of the car.  I was also lucky when I opened the trap.  I had a stick ready to put through the spokes of the cage to hold the door open but I didn't have to use it.  Pepe took off in a hurry.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 04:14:59 PM »
I'd call in a wildlife removal company at this point. Skunks are no joke
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

cwm

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 04:25:09 PM »
I've never personally had problems with skunks, but if he's causing such hassle, call your local animal control and see what they recommend. They might be able to deal with it, or they might give you some ideas to help you deal with it. And they might have some ideas on how to disperse the smell, too.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 04:52:29 PM »
There are a lot of good ideas in this Mother Earth News article.

Before you read it, I must mention that it mentions dead skunk at one point, but it does have some ideas for removing skunks and keeping them out.

edited to fix the link - sorry
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:21:29 AM by zyrs »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 07:31:29 PM »
I wish I lived near you.  I can deal with skunks much easier than animal control.  I've seen many, many animal control officers get sprayed.  I've trapped three skunks, transported one away in my car and have never been sprayed.  I also built a staircase for one to help her get out of a window well.  Twice.  Because the dingdangity thing fell into the window well again that night.   ::)

I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

MissRose

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 08:57:24 PM »
I remember one tried to live under the porch of my apartment complex's front door.  Our landlord had some set up a humane trap with marshmallows right near the door.  I was very quiet going in and out the door until the trap was moved away a week or so later.  I do not recall if the skunk was ever caught or not.  I don't think I would have wanted to call into work saying I got sprayed and needed to get hosed down with tomato juice lmao.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 02:05:03 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas.  I Know that I wouldn't be brave enough to trap the critter, even though we do have a live trap.  He seems like he's a spray fanatic if the scent around here has been any indication.
I think callings someone in would be a good idea, and for some reason didn't think of that.  Maybe I thought they wouldn't want to deal with our crawl space, either. 
Here is what we did do.  The night I posted this thread my husband and I spent some time sitting quietly visualizing the skunk leaving/ asking him to leave.  Oddly enough the smell is gone and I am hoping we no longer have a boarder.  I hope this is the end of it. 
I've been wanting to seal up the openings under the house with hardware cloth to keep creatures out and maybe the peppermint balls would be a way to discourage a revisit until we can do that.  I would want to make sure that no one was under there before sealing it off. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 02:26:10 PM »
There are a lot of good ideas in this Mother Earth News article.

Before you read it, I must mention that it mentions dead skunk at one point, but it does have some ideas for removing skunks and keeping them out.

edited to fix the link - sorry
Thanks for the link.  I have read it...very interesting...and bookmarked it for future reference.  The rabies part is very scary.  All but one of the outdoor cats is inoculated.  If she has ever been it would be a long, long time ago.  She isn't of the personality to harass anything, though.  She's a very much a  'mind her own business' kind of girl.  If Pepe shows up again I may call animal control. 

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 06:09:19 PM »
Bijou, if you want to block off the openings under the house, I would recommend small gauge chicken wire, not cloth.  We attached it to the top of the opening and buried the bottom 8-10 inches into the ground.  That way it's harder for animals to dig underneath it.  No problems so far.
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

doodlemor

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 08:40:21 PM »
FWIW, we used crumpled aluminum foil to get rid of bats in our cabin.  We waited until they had left for the night, and then stuffed their entrance/exit holes with crumpled foil balls.  It worked, and they moved somewhere else.

Perhaps crumpled foil around the chicken wire would be added defense.  The problem with sealing the hole, of course, is knowing whether all of the critters are out of there.

Several times we have had skunks temporarily in our cellar.  Since they are nocturnal animals, I turned the lights on.  I'm not sure if that is what made them leave, but they did go.  Perhaps some strong lights would annoy your skunk enough to leave.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 10:03:25 PM »
PM MummySweet - she had an extremely amusing (to everyone else) skunk episode last year.  Apparently most skunk removal places charge by the skunk (or rather, by the animal trapped) - she got her money's worth out of the guy she found who did a flat fee  :P

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 12:03:13 AM »
Bijou, if you want to block off the openings under the house, I would recommend small gauge chicken wire, not cloth.  We attached it to the top of the opening and buried the bottom 8-10 inches into the ground.  That way it's harder for animals to dig underneath it.  No problems so far.
I think chicken wire would be easier to work with since it is more pliable than hardware cloth, if the openings can be small enough.  I know you can get hardware cloth in stainless or galvanized so it wouldn't rust.  I wonder if chicken wire is the same. (I love the look of chicken wire, actually.)  Burying it in the ground is a good idea I hadn't thought of.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 12:04:56 AM »
FWIW, we used crumpled aluminum foil to get rid of bats in our cabin.  We waited until they had left for the night, and then stuffed their entrance/exit holes with crumpled foil balls.  It worked, and they moved somewhere else.

Perhaps crumpled foil around the chicken wire would be added defense.  The problem with sealing the hole, of course, is knowing whether all of the critters are out of there.

Several times we have had skunks temporarily in our cellar.  Since they are nocturnal animals, I turned the lights on.  I'm not sure if that is what made them leave, but they did go.  Perhaps some strong lights would annoy your skunk enough to leave.
I heard that lights will usually get them to leave.  Wish we could put some under the house but we wouldn't be able to.