Author Topic: How to answer this comment: "The item you're selling on ebay is worthless"  (Read 5469 times)

lowspark

Re: How to answer this comment: "The item you're selling on ebay is worthless"
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 02:21:56 PM »
Good idea to block them. I didn't think of that. You're right that there is potential for trouble if they do bid and win an auction. Thanks for pointing that out.

bonyk

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 12:35:38 PM »
I remember seeing a blog a few years ago about a man that traded a red paperclip for a car.  There were several steps between, but I think he ended up with a fairly expensive sports car.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 12:57:23 PM »
I also think the complainer might have an ulterior motive that if it is worthless, you would give it to them. Trolls on the internet.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 01:21:11 PM »
I remember seeing a blog a few years ago about a man that traded a red paperclip for a car.  There were several steps between, but I think he ended up with a fairly expensive sports car.

I hadn't heard about the car, but there was one about a guy who traded a red paperclip up to a house. Steps along the way included a year's rent in a duplex and meeting Alice Cooper, if memory serves.

I always kinda wanted to try that and see where I could end up. Maybe I'll trade the packet of chopsticks with the funny instructions I got at a sushi bar in Minneapolis. <G>
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

GSNW

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 12:15:05 AM »
"Thank you for notifying me that you will not buy my item." 

lowspark

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 08:59:47 AM »
"Thank you for notifying me that you will not buy my item."

I like that.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 11:56:43 AM »
Ignore them. There are people whose lives are so pathetic that all they can do to make themselves feel better is to put other people down. The anonymity of the 'net makes it all the easier for them.

This. If you answer at all, you've just given them a reward, and they'll do it again to someone else.

They want the interaction; they may even want the argument, even if it's mostly conducted in their own head. If you reply, you fuel the argument (again, even if it's in their own head).

Iif you ignore them, they go away.

The only thing that I'd love is if you could report them to eBay, and eBay would reply to those people and say, "communication through eBay is intended to transactions only--criticism is not allowed, nor is gratuitous conversation. If you're reported again, we'll block your account." But that's really more work than is necessary.

exitzero

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 12:20:54 PM »
You honestly never know what will sell.

I once bought a blank invoice from a store that had gone out of business on Ebay.

It had a personal memory for someone, and they were thrilled to get it.

miranova

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 08:59:57 PM »
These people have obviously not tried to sell their own junk.  Almost ANYTHING will sell(at the right price).  It floors me what people will buy.

We just sold a set of couches on Craigslist that were absolute JUNK that my husband had bought on Craigslist 4 years previously.  I mean, these things have been through at least 3 owners and they still sold. 

And I agree with you that the "worth" or "value" of something is whatever someone is willing to pay.  To some people it's worthless, to others it's obviously worth whatever you sold it for.

Magnet

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 10:29:51 AM »
The only time that comment may be appropriate is if the ad misrepresents the product.  I collect a certain ceramic that was produced in the 50s.  There are a lot of fakes out there.  I hate seeing the fake articles priced like a real one.  I have never commented on the fakes, but they truly should not priced like a real one.  .

lowspark

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 12:12:38 PM »
It's one thing to email a seller and let them know that information in the description is wrong. I've actually had that happen to me and was glad to get the info because it's in my best interest to correctly identify and describe what I'm selling.

However, as long as my description of the item is correct, whether it's fake or real, my starting price is my decision. If real widgets routinely sell for $100 and I list my fake widget for $150, as long as I make it clear it's fake, well, I'd rather not get any emails telling me that since the real ones sell for $100 I'll never be able to sell my fake one for $150.

Or that Widgets are so common that they are not worth selling at any price.

Or that Widgets are available for free at xyz location so why am I trying to get people to pay me for one.

Constructive comments meant to help me are always welcome. Useless criticism (usally said in a rude manner) is not.

If I've overpriced my item or am trying to sell something for which there is no market, then, well, it won't sell. My problem entirely. But no one has the clairvoyance to know in advance whether or not there's someone out there in ebay land who will happily pay me for that particular item. I've often shocked myself at things that sold and the prices they sold at.

Mikayla

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 11:01:08 PM »
This is one of my biggest new pet peeves in online "talk":  Information in a void.

If someone took the time to briefly explain what they're saying, even if they still called it worthless, I might respond.  But just a 5 word announcement that it's worthless?  Ugh...go away.

I see so much of this.  On a recipe site the other day, people were reviewing what this woman submitted and someone said "I made this and will never make it again. It's awful". On what planet is this of any use?!?

CakeBeret

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 04:53:29 PM »
Ages ago, I inherited a bunch of jewelry from my grandmother. I was 99% sure that it was cheap junk, and it was definitely not my style, so some of the pieces I listed on ebay.

One was a pendant. I set the item title as "Vintage Heirloom XYZ Pendant". In the item description I was very up front about it - no idea whether it is real or fake, inherited from grandmother, band has "Something something" stamped into it, etc. I set the starting price at $5.

I received a scathing PM from some random person informing me that it was cheap junk, neither vintage nor heirloom, and HOW DARE I be so deceitful and misrepresent the item like that. If I remember correctly I rolled my eyes, the ring sold for $20, and the buyer was absolutely thrilled with it.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

hjaye

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 03:07:14 PM »
How about: "If you feel it's worthless, then don't bid on it."

This is exactly what my first thought was.  If someone is going to go to the trouble to contact you to say an item you are listing is worthless, I wouldn't JADE, I would just sent back a very short note:

"Then don't bid on it"

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Cat blog
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 09:34:17 AM »
Don't respond. Unless they were suggesting a specific action they wanted you to take e.g. drop the price, it's not worth it. It's more likely they want to get a rise out of you than actual feedback.