Author Topic: Strange e-mails that aren't mine  (Read 3942 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Re: Strange e-mails that aren't mine
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 12:40:07 PM »
Are you not responding back to the sender, for the important items, and telling them they have the wrong address?
Both sets had large "Do not reply to this address" notices at the top, or I would have.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 12:50:22 PM »
I am inclined to think that anything that has "do not reply to this address" type return address and no other contact information is junk, no matter how important it claims to be, because it is explicitly saying "we do not want you to communicate with us." (From: donotreply@example.com and information in the message saying "you can reach us at realaddress@example.com" is okay.]

More generally, I have a vanity domain, which I use to forward email for myself and two members of my family (from xyz@our-vanity-domain to addresses at gmail, my ISP, etc.). Mine is a .org address; there used to be a small ISP that had the .net version of that, so I occasionally wind up sending emails saying "hi, there is no user@example.org, I think you want user@example.net" or, these days, just "this address doesn't exist" if it looks as though the message is real. I sign those "Postmaster" (as if it was still the 1990s and I was send it from root@example.org).
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 12:54:40 PM »
Similarly to your issue, I've been getting a message on my answering machine from a guy I've never heard of from a company I've never heard of, asking me to call him back.  The number was long distance, so I just hit the delete key.  Then he started asking for (not my name) to please call back.  Again, I hit delete.  If it had been a local number, I *might* have called it and said, 'You are calling the wrong number.  (not my name) does not live here', but I don't feel obligated to do so.

I would delete and block the sender, if the email comes from a 'Do not reply' address.  It is up to the participants in the arrangement to ensure they have the correct contact information for the other person.  If there was an email address in the rental application, I *might* forward the email on to that person and let them know but again, I wouldn't feel obligated to do so.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

veronaz

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 01:05:13 PM »
I would delete and block the sender, if the email comes from a 'Do not reply' address.  It is up to the participants in the arrangement to ensure they have the correct contact information for the other person.

Exactly. If I was a prospective tenant and hadn't received a lease, I'd call the property manager.  Let them figure it out.  There is no need for OP to get further involved.

Susiqzer

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 12:41:07 PM »
When this happened to me (the similar email address ended in a 1, where mine ended in I), I ended it by writing to the person after a message showed up that contained her mailing address. She was incredibly rude about it and suggested that it was my fault, but it did resolve the issue.

JoW

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 08:42:12 PM »
Similarly to your issue, I've been getting a message on my answering machine from a guy I've never heard of from a company I've never heard of, asking me to call him back.  ......
For calls like that visit http://800notes.com/  Its a site for discussing spam and scam phone calls.  I found it when I googled a phone number that was calling me looking for "Michael".  I post there under the name "not Michael".