Author Topic: Just Because You're Lazy & Cheap Doesn't Mean You Get to Be Rude  (Read 4343 times)

BeagleMommy

BG:  When our professors travel for work they must use a rental car if they're traveling 100 miles or more (unless it's by plane).  We use a local branch of a national rental car company and they're very good.

One of them (I'll call her Mabel) is cheap.  Notoriously cheap.  We are required to make sure the rental cars have at least 1/2 tank of gas when we return them. End BG

Mabel needed a rental car to attend two offsite events.  Rather than keeping the car for the two days, she insisted on returning the first car and getting a new one, later in the day, to take to the next event.  Her reason.  She would get a full tank of gas in each car and wouldn't have to spend her own money to refill the tank (for which we would reimburse her).

Well, rental company didn't respond quickly enough for her.  When the agent dropped off the second car she launched into a rant about how they were inconveniencing her and didn't they know she didn't have time to wait around all day for them.  I heard every word since my office is directly across from her.

To his credit, the rental agent was polite, apologized (although he wasn't late) and didn't JADE.  Mabel came harumphing up to my desk griping that she couldn't believe how slow they were.

When she walked away I did this... ::).  What I really wanted to say was the title of this thread.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Runs with scissors!
Re: Just Because You're Lazy & Cheap Doesn't Mean You Get to Be Rude
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 05:51:10 PM »
Every rental car we have ever rented - whether to travel, drive while our is in the shop, or to because DD was too young to rent a car and was driving mine & I had to go to work - you've either had to return it with the "same" amount of gas in it as it had when you got it *or* pay their rates to refill it (except the time the car dealer was paying for the rental because of a recall for a leak in the fuel system that was causing engines to burn up - flame, smoke, cinders, & the works - it was not just a figure of speech for an overheated system).

They didn't care if the car came back with a full tank or not because it came back when our car was fixed under the recall!

Too bad Professor Lazy & Cheap wasn't the one paying to fill the tank back up at $7+ a gallon (instead of the $3.59 that it was at the tank the last time we rented a vehicle!).  She would not have been lazy & cheap a second time if it cost her around 2X the price of "you fill it" gas versus "we fill it FOR you" fuel!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 05:53:51 PM »
Every rental car we have ever rented - whether to travel, drive while our is in the shop, or to because DD was too young to rent a car and was driving mine & I had to go to work - you've either had to return it with the "same" amount of gas in it as it had when you got it *or* pay their rates to refill it (except the time the car dealer was paying for the rental because of a recall for a leak in the fuel system that was causing engines to burn up - flame, smoke, cinders, & the works - it was not just a figure of speech for an overheated system).

They didn't care if the car came back with a full tank or not because it came back when our car was fixed under the recall!

Too bad Professor Lazy & Cheap wasn't the one paying to fill the tank back up at $7+ a gallon (instead of the $3.59 that it was at the tank the last time we rented a vehicle!).  She would not have been lazy & cheap a second time if it cost her around 2X the price of "you fill it" gas versus "we fill it FOR you" fuel!

You really need to pay attention to the "we fill it for you" price. There was a time when I rented a car and they recommended I return it empty. The gas was around 4.15 at the time but they hadn't updated the "we fill it for you" price yet and it was still at 3.79.

hjaye

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 07:17:58 PM »

You really need to pay attention to the "we fill it for you" price. There was a time when I rented a car and they recommended I return it empty. The gas was around 4.15 at the time but they hadn't updated the "we fill it for you" price yet and it was still at 3.79.

Personally I think the "prepay your gas at a low price" should be in the scammer section.  I never do it even though I pretty much only rent cars when I'm travelling for work so it's no money out of my pocket.

I just don't want them to think I buy into their supposed great deal.  Sure they may charge 10 ten cents or twenty cents a gallon cheaper than at the local stations, but they are charging you for the full tank of gas.  So if it's a fifteen gallon tank, you pay for fifteen gallons of gas.  The chances of being able to run the rental dry so you're bringing it back on fumes is very slim.  More likely than not, you'll still have one to two gallons of gas in the car.  However, you don't get reimbursed if when they fill up the tank it only takes 12 and half gallons (or anything less than fifteen).

In the scheme of things, it's not going to break me, and it can be a convenience if I'm running a bit late so I don't have to find a gas station and stop to fill up.  I just don't like them trying to sell me on something as a great deal, when it really isn't. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Runs with scissors!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 07:43:13 PM »

I remember because I pointed it out to VorGuy and he made very, very sure to fill up the tank on his way to turn it in, even though he was running late because it was about 2X the price at the pump.

Other times, he's figured it was worth a 10% surcharge to be done that much faster (both places are literally across the street from a gas station - the expensive gas price has to cross a three lane (each direction) highway - the cheap gas price place was across a side street that also fed into a grocery store & had little traffic most of the day).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

veronaz

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 08:03:06 PM »
I heard every word since my office is directly across from her

When she walked away I did this. ::) What I really wanted to say was the title of this thread.

To address the etiquette of Prof Mabel's behavior (vs rental company policies and gas prices)............

OP, so what did you do while she was standing there griping?  Just listen and nod?

imo a better way would have been "Well, Mabel, I couldn't help but hear you and I think you were rude.  He was polite and he did apologize."

And if she continued ......."Could you excuse me?  I need to get back to these reports."

Might have made her think the next time before going off on someone.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:16:30 PM by veronaz »

cwm

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 09:22:28 AM »
So wait, let me see if I've got this straight. Mabel returns one car, immediately gets another (it sounds as though she didn't leave the lot and just switched cars) for no reason aside from her desire not to have to get gas. Then, when the clerks at the car rental place didn't jump through hoops so she could get her new car from them when there was nothing wrong with the old car, she came to you, someone thoroughly unconnected with the situation, to complain? Wow.

I would have said something like, "Well, Mabel, they're not used to people renting more than one car in a day. There's bound to be some hiccups. Now, I've got to get back to (whatever you were doing). Have a nice day!"

Of course, inside I'd be mentally asking her if the hassle of the car swap was worth the amount of money it would have taken her to get the car up to half a tank of gas, but of course I wouldn't actually SAY that out loud.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 09:32:44 AM »
I would have been hard pressed to say, "Maybe next time you can keep the first car and be patient for the reimbursement of the gas.  Gotta make a choice, wait for car or wait for reimbursement."  smile sweetly and pick up the phone as if you have to make a call.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 10:24:40 AM »
So wait, let me see if I've got this straight. Mabel returns one car, immediately gets another (it sounds as though she didn't leave the lot and just switched cars) for no reason aside from her desire not to have to get gas. Then, when the clerks at the car rental place didn't jump through hoops so she could get her new car from them when there was nothing wrong with the old car, she came to you, someone thoroughly unconnected with the situation, to complain? Wow.

I would have said something like, "Well, Mabel, they're not used to people renting more than one car in a day. There's bound to be some hiccups. Now, I've got to get back to (whatever you were doing). Have a nice day!"

Of course, inside I'd be mentally asking her if the hassle of the car swap was worth the amount of money it would have taken her to get the car up to half a tank of gas, but of course I wouldn't actually SAY that out loud.

Yup, this is the exact story.  Fortunately, she kind of walked up to my window, griped and walked off.  The best part is that she didn't have to return the first car.  Rental car company agent picked it up, returned it to the company and a different agent brought the second car later.  She just didn't want to have to put any more gas than necessary in the car.

Betelnut

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 01:25:54 PM »
She may be cheap but I wouldn't call her lazy since, to me, making an extra trip and arranging for another car seems like a lot of work!
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Bees

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 10:25:07 AM »
The math doesn't work for me. If she didn't put gas in the first car after she drove it to the first event  she will owe gas for that trip and will do the same for the next. Since they top off the gas when they receive the car back at their inflated price it will cost more. Same with the second.
  Both would raise red flags in the reimbursement dept. Two rentals and two gas charges would earn a lecture and possible non reimbursable expenses in my last job.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 11:12:31 AM »
The math doesn't work for me. If she didn't put gas in the first car after she drove it to the first event  she will owe gas for that trip and will do the same for the next. Since they top off the gas when they receive the car back at their inflated price it will cost more. Same with the second.
  Both would raise red flags in the reimbursement dept. Two rentals and two gas charges would earn a lecture and possible non reimbursable expenses in my last job.

It seems in the OP that as long as there is half tank, they won't charge for gas.  It might be an agreement of theirs.  I thought it was more like what you were saying.  And as long as it isn't coming out of her pocket, it appears that the coworker doesn't care how much the company is paying.

figee

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 04:34:25 AM »
Actually, given how long it takes to get reimbursed at my college sometimes, I might have been tempted to do the same thing (without the rudeness).  There are times when I've budgeted very carefully and extra $$$$ on gas for work events which I have to attend and drive to using a rental car, will simply break that budget, not only for that week but for potentially six weeks afterwards until I get reimbursed.

EMuir

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 03:12:45 PM »
The difference is that the coworker didn't want to have to use her own money to fill the tank.  If they charge her company for gas, she isn't out the money.

I have some sympathy with her doing this because there were times in my life when I couldn't afford to spend the money because it wouldn't be reimbursed for a month, and a tank of gas can easily be over $50.

I don't have sympathy for her being rude to the agents though.