General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Why didn't I congratulate you?

<< < (11/11)

TaterTot:

--- Quote from: MOM21SON on September 13, 2013, 06:00:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: CocoCamm on September 05, 2013, 05:20:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: greencat on September 05, 2013, 03:32:17 AM ---I actually usually wish callers a happy birthday when I have to verify their DOB for a process and it's sometime within the last week or within the next week.  Likewise, I frequently congratulate them if they mention some major life event like a wedding or birth of a child.  I specifically do it because I feel like it helps remind people that they are talking to a real human being and not a robot and it makes them treat me a bit better.  It's more social engineering than honest sentiment, but it makes everyone involved happy.

--- End quote ---

I always do the same. It just seems friendlier. Not to mention it gives you something to chat about while the computer does it's thing.

OP, I don't think you were rude to not say anything but if you work in customer service you may want to consider adding more of a personal touch to your calls. Not because this woman was right but I find that being friendly can make all the difference when dealing with difficult people.

--- End quote ---

I would have been coached at my job if someone was listening in.  We do acknowledge when a customer makes a statement.  No matter what.

I she would have said, "I need to change my name because my husband died"  what would you have said?

Apparently, the phrase in that situation is "So sorry for your loss." I had to call companies to cancel multiple subscriptions to various products and services after my dad died, and this was the phrase that I heard over and over and over and over again to the point that it started to get annoying. I never took it out on the customer service representatives, however, because they were only doing their job.

--- End quote ---

sweetonsno:
This is a really interesting topic. First off, she was clearly out of line for reacting so strongly, especially because of the complaining bit. I imagine (hope) that she was already stressed and sensitive because of something else, and you just happened to be the one who set her off. If it wasn't going to be you, it probably would have been the deli worker who put too much lettuce on her sandwich.

If she simply asked about the name change, I think not commenting on or asking about it would be the wisest option, for the reasons mentioned above. However, if she had volunteered her reasons for changing her name, I do think it's better to acknowledge it with a situation-appropriate phrase.

As for being upset at you not using the word "congratulations," might your "best wishes" have sounded sarcastic or otherwise not very nice? I'm just thinking how annoying it is to hear "I'm sorry you feel that way" or "I'm sorry you're upset" instead of "I'm sorry for [action that resulted in emotions]" or "I'm sorry that I disappointed you/hurt your feelings." For some people, this may be analogous.

The TARDIS:
Wow, so she calls you rude while referring to you as a b-word? Uhhh...OP you're fine. The caller was flying out of her mind!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version