You know, before I read this thread, I did this. Here was my reasoning at the time:
- I had my laptop out and plugged in at the charging station across the hall from my gate + my coat coat + my smaller carry on.
- They asked for volunteers to gate check roll-aboards, which I wanted to take advantage of.
- I didn't want to unplug and pack up my things only to come back and unpack and plug them in again.
- I would be in eyesight/hearing range the whole time.
- No one was in line, this would be way less than 5 minutes.
- I mostly wanted to avoid having someone run off with my lap top and have a headstart due to my being 100 feet away.
The poor guy I asked to watch my stuff (assured him I would just be "right over there and in sight the whole time") agreed, but basically ran off as soon as I got back, probably to avoid the crazy lady trying to abandon her bags at the airport...