News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• September 01, 2015, 09:27:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Watch my bags!"  (Read 14820 times)

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
Re: "Watch my bags!"
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2015, 05:33:41 PM »
I'm often quite OK w/ watching over some other passenger's bags. They've made it through security, so their luggage has been screened and they have a ticket. If they don't come back, I'll turn their luggage over to someone. I know there are flaws in the screening, but not in a way that I think is going to blow up right then and there.

I flew two weeks ago and there were announcements over the PA that said not to watch other people's bags.

There are lots of reasons that watching other people's stuff is a bad idea.

Arila

« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2015, 11:59:21 AM »
You know, before I read this thread, I did this. Here was my reasoning at the time:

- I had my laptop out and plugged in at the charging station across the hall from my gate + my coat coat + my smaller carry on.
- They asked for volunteers to gate check roll-aboards, which I wanted to take advantage of.
- I didn't want to unplug and pack up my things only to come back and unpack and plug them in again.
- I would be in eyesight/hearing range the whole time.
- No one was in line, this would be way less than 5 minutes.
- I mostly wanted to avoid having someone run off with my lap top and have a headstart due to my being 100 feet away.

The poor guy I asked to watch my stuff (assured him I would just be "right over there and in sight the whole time") agreed, but basically ran off as soon as I got back, probably to avoid the crazy lady trying to abandon her bags at the airport...

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2015, 09:20:35 PM »
A friend of ours flies to Israel a few times a year for business.  He has to take his suitcase to the airline a few days before his flight, so they can examine it at leisure...  No joke, no foolin', deadly serious.  I don't know what provisions they would make for a distress flight (family member dead or dying) but for business class, it's do it their way or don't fly their airline.
Interesting. I live in israel and never heard if this. They used to have an "early check in" option on some airlines out of tel Aviv ( where you bring your checked bags to an agent a day or two before the flight and the go thru security earlier and they take your bags to the airport) but I think they canceled that service.

As for the OP: since I do live in israel, I'm used to heightened security systems. I would never watch someone's bags, and I would never leave mine unattended. If I see a bag unattended for more than a minute or so, I will alert security. I take my bags into the restroom, and while sometimes it may be a tight fit, I've never had a problem.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools