Etiquette School is in session! > "Why would I want to do that?"

Don't outshine the bride...smaids?

<< < (7/7)

chocolatemoose:
My nephew was married a couple years ago. The two young ladies who were flower girls had adorable purple/white/yellow floral dresses that were off the rack from a local clothing store.

The bride's cousin wanted her two girls in the wedding. She found out what the flower girls were wearing, went to the store and bought the same dresses for her girls, showed up at the wedding with the girls in these dresses, then tried to force the bride to put them in the wedding. My brother, the father of the groom and someone who doesn't put up with bad behavior, towered his 6' 6" frame over them and told them to please have a seat in the sanctuary. They slinked away without another word.

I showed up in a periwinkle dress. Fortunately it was closer to a blue shade so I didn't match the wedding party. But then, I wasn't trying to be in the wedding party.

KenveeB:
I accidentally matched the bridal party once, but the bride knew it was a total accident because we'd been chatting how the airline had lost my luggage and I'd had to run out to the store the night before and had an hour before the store closed to find something, anything that fit and was the right level of formality. :)  I was in another wedding where two college friends of the bride turned up in dresses almost the exact same shade as the bridesmaid dresses. We all thought it was great and took a picture of the bridesmaids plus those two. It never occurred to us to think of it as something bad.

KimberlyM:
My brother is getting married Saturday and my soon to be SIL is pretty particular about the wedding.  I'm a groomswoman, so luckily I have to match the men, meaning khaki skirt and white button up shirt instead of the bridesmaids who have a full day of make-up hair and dress events prior to the wedding.  My sister is singing in the ceremony and has been texting me pictures of dresses for weeks trying to figure out what wont make her look like she's trying to be part of the bridal party.  We have no clue what the bridesmaids are wearing.  The colors are burlap, lace and mint green accents.  I finally gave up and told her just to buy what she liked and not worry about matching or not matching the unknown dresses!

I'm so thrilled to not have to do any of that!

Wordgeek:
This discussion is from 2013. Please don't grave dig.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version