Etiquette School is in session! > "Why would I want to do that?"

Don't outshine the bride...smaids?

<< < (2/7) > >>

Isometric:
You're fine! This has happened before at weddings I've been at, and although people do comment, IME it's never meant to be malicious or implying anything.

I don't know why, if someone did want to be a bridesmaid, they would try to match. It would look very desperate!

AnaMaria:
Thanks for the reassurance, everyone!!

To clarify, there were plenty of other people saying things like, "Hey, look, you match the wedding colors!"  THAT sounded like casual conversation to me; it was the few who flat out asked if I was TRYING to match the bridesmaids that got under my skin.  As if I had gone shopping for this dress with the mindset of, "Oh, I want to look like I was supposed to in the wedding party!" 

Millionaire Maria:
My brother and SIL's wedding invitation came in the mail and I noticed the colors were ivory and sage. So I went out and bought a purple dress. Turns out, it was pretty much the exact same color as the bridesmaids' dresses. I felt even more self conscience, because my other two brothers were groomsmen and I was the only member of our family not in the bridal party. I sincerely hope no one thought I was trying to make a statement.

whatsanenigma:

--- Quote from: Dandy Andy's Daddy's Love on September 06, 2013, 03:31:33 PM ---My brother and SIL's wedding invitation came in the mail and I noticed the colors were ivory and sage. So I went out and bought a purple dress. Turns out, it was pretty much the exact same color as the bridesmaids' dresses. I felt even more self conscience, because my other two brothers were groomsmen and I was the only member of our family not in the bridal party. I sincerely hope no one thought I was trying to make a statement.

--- End quote ---

You bought a purple dress that ended up matching "sage" dresses? When I think of "sage", I think of a grayish green.  Did the bride change her mind about her wedding colors or something?  Or maybe "sage" doesn't mean what she thinks it does.  Very weird to me.

Millionaire Maria:

--- Quote from: whatsanenigma on September 06, 2013, 04:07:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: Dandy Andy's Daddy's Love on September 06, 2013, 03:31:33 PM ---My brother and SIL's wedding invitation came in the mail and I noticed the colors were ivory and sage. So I went out and bought a purple dress. Turns out, it was pretty much the exact same color as the bridesmaids' dresses. I felt even more self conscience, because my other two brothers were groomsmen and I was the only member of our family not in the bridal party. I sincerely hope no one thought I was trying to make a statement.

--- End quote ---

You bought a purple dress that ended up matching "sage" dresses? When I think of "sage", I think of a grayish green.  Did the bride change her mind about her wedding colors or something?  Or maybe "sage" doesn't mean what she thinks it does.  Very weird to me.

--- End quote ---

She used the sage and ivory theme on everything accept the bridesmaids' dresses.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version