Author Topic: Falafel and Tzatziki substitutions.  (Read 1017 times)

Nikko-chan

Falafel and Tzatziki substitutions.
« on: September 05, 2013, 07:39:17 AM »
So I made falafel and I brought some into work for a coworker to try. She loved it. Only thing is, she's allergic to both milk and lemon juice. The poor girl broke out in hives! I want to be able to make this so that she is able to eat and enjoy it, without fear of allergic reactions.

http://www.everydaydish.tv/recipe/falafel-tzatziki-sauce

That is the recipe I used, though I did use regular sour cream, because around my area that was all I had easy access to. I figured some ehellions might have ideas.

Any ideas, ehellions?

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Falafel and Tzatziki substitutions.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 08:11:52 AM »
Hummus works well with falafel.  Lemon juice isn't required for that.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 08:39:14 AM »
They have several kinds of vegan yogurts/sour cream (but yogurt is more authentic) in the store that isn't dairy based as noted in the recipe. Just add salt, cucumbers and garlic to it. 
If you can't find the vegan yogurt either, here's a link to make your own safe sour cream.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/vegan-sour-cream-substitutes-9038.html Ask if she's allergic to Apple cider vinegar and use that in place of lemon to mimic the slight tart taste.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 08:43:54 AM by Zilla »

Nikko-chan

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 08:43:49 AM »
They have several kinds of vegan yogurts/sour cream (but yogurt is more authentic) in the store that isn't dairy based as noted in the recipe. Just add salt, cucumbers and garlic to it.  Ask if she's allergic to Apple cider vinegar and use that in place of lemon to mimic the slight tart taste.

Thanks! I looked up vegan sour cream... it has lemon juice in it! I shall look for a brand that doesn't though!

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 08:44:56 AM »
Read my post, I modified it to add a link.  You can use the ACV in place of lemon too.  You are a great friend to her!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 08:52:07 AM »
Read my post, I modified it to add a link.  You can use the ACV in place of lemon too.  You are a great friend to her!

thanks. She and I both love to cook, and now that I introduced her to falafel, she is obsessed (as am I, falafel is tasty and quick to make!). How much ACV to lemon do you think? recipe calls for 3/4 cup in the falafel, and a few tablespoons in the tzatziki.

Also: I am hoping she will agree to come over this weekend so we can make it. I will make two batches, one vegan, and one not, so that she can take her vegan batch home with her and have falafel sandwiches for the week for lunches or after work. (We work late >.<)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 08:57:09 AM »
Personally, I like tahini or hummus with falafel.  Tahini is my #1 pick.  You can leave the lemon juice out.

ETA: I like tahini in it's original, out of the container form...not made into a sauce.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:00:02 AM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 09:44:06 AM »

thanks. She and I both love to cook, and now that I introduced her to falafel, she is obsessed (as am I, falafel is tasty and quick to make!). How much ACV to lemon do you think? recipe calls for 3/4 cup in the falafel, and a few tablespoons in the tzatziki.

Also: I am hoping she will agree to come over this weekend so we can make it. I will make two batches, one vegan, and one not, so that she can take her vegan batch home with her and have falafel sandwiches for the week for lunches or after work. (We work late >.<)

I usually do a even exchange.  But I love both the healthy properties and taste of ACV so you can start with half and do it by taste.  Also red wine vinegar is common in tzatziki if you prefer that milder flavor as well.  Forgot about that.  I love that whole cuisine!  We make a lot of that stuff as well.  If you like strong garlicky dip,

http://thefoodblog.com.au/2010/04/fast-and-easy-toum-the-best-lebanese-garlic-sauce-recipe.html
  Toum is another of our favorite sauces.  And I have swapped out the vinegar for the lemon in that as well.  Warning you though, it's addictive and very very very good with a lot of things.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:50:19 AM by Zilla »

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 11:23:05 AM »
I've never heard of making falafel * with* lemon juice. Falafel is made by grinding soaked chickpeas ( uncooked) with onion, spices, fresh herbs, and usually some kind of binder ( bread crumbs/burgul). It's by nature a vegan dish.

In Israel, probably 99% of falafel is served with tahiini sauce, and while it doess call for lemon juice, you could probably omit it

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

audrey1962

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 11:42:49 AM »
Another vote for tahini.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 11:14:31 PM »
I've never heard of making falafel * with* lemon juice. Falafel is made by grinding soaked chickpeas ( uncooked) with onion, spices, fresh herbs, and usually some kind of binder ( bread crumbs/burgul). It's by nature a vegan dish.

In Israel, probably 99% of falafel is served with tahiini sauce, and while it doess call for lemon juice, you could probably omit it

Cicero, would you by any chance have a recipe? I would like to try making it this way, and since it doesn't have lemon juice, it is perfect for my friend.

sweetonsno

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 03:05:04 AM »
I agree that tahini is marvelous. You can just thin it with water and have something perfectly edible. (A pinch of salt and/or cayenne is also nice, though.)

Agree with the suggestion of vinegar, though I might try red wine instead of white wine. Some white vinegars can be a touch harsh, I find.

Sour Supreme (Toffuti brand) is my favorite sour cream substitute. You could also just strain some yogurt (or use Greek) and add a bit of acid to give it the tang.

sweetonsno

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 03:16:10 AM »
Also, sorry. . . I should have looked at the recipe.

For the falafel:
Take out the lemon juice. Use vinegar and water (start with 1:1 and adjust to desired tanginess).

For the tzatziki:
1. Use the Sour Supreme or make your own tofu sour cream. (I don't have the recipe handy, but Crescent Dragonwagon has a good one in her book... here's one that looks like it would be similar: http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/seitan-stroganoff-with-tofu-sour-cream)
2. Use vinegar (half the amount of lemon juice called for).
3. Try salting and draining the cukes. If you have time, seed them. If not, no biggie. Put them in a colander, sprinkle with a bit of vinegar and toss with salt, then leave to drain for awhile. Give 'em a squeeze after half an hour or so. Save the juice. Put the cuke shreds into the vegan sour cream (or well-drained non-dairy yogurt) and stir. Taste the liquid. If it doesn't have a good tang to it, add another tablespoon of vinegar and a bit more salt. Then add as much of the liquid as needed to get the texture you want. And for the love of. . . use fresh minced onion or garlic!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 03:22:08 AM »

Cicero, would you by any chance have a recipe? I would like to try making it this way, and since it doesn't have lemon juice, it is perfect for my friend.
My recipe is based on Claudia Roden's recipe - you can adjust the spices/herbs to your taste. I usually don't add the herbs because DS doesn't like them. or you can make half with the herbs and half without. BTW - you can freeze the uncooked batter. i've done that a few times because it's annoying to make it...

Adapted From Claudia Roden: "Book of Middle Eastern food"

1 lb dried garbanzos
1 onion, finely chopped or grated,
     or 1 bunch spring onions [scallions], finely chopped
 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
 1-2 teaspoons ground cumin
 1-2 teaspoons ground coriander
 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
salt, pepper, a little paprika
bread crumbs, 1-2 slices of bread soaked and squeezed, a little burghul - optional, see if it's needed.
1 egg, again, if needed
 oil for deep-frying

Soak the beans in cold water for 24 hours. It's best to do this in the fridge, especially in hot weather. change the water a few times.
put through a meat grinder or food processor
Mix this with the onions, garlic, parsley, cumin, coriander, baking powder and salt and cayenne
pepper to taste.  the mixture will be crumbly at this point - don't worry.

Let it rest in the fridge for about 30 -60 minutes. then shape small balls, deep fry one and see if it holds together. if not, try adding binder as needed.

Fry until golden brown (takes just a few minutes) then drain on paper towels.

optional: add one bunch finely chopped parsley or half a bunch parsley and half coriander.

serve with tahini, fresh chopped salad (tomatos and cucumbers finely chopped, mixed with lemon juice and olive oil), pickles, olives, pita

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

sweetonsno

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 03:27:35 AM »

My recipe is based on Claudia Roden's recipe - you can adjust the spices/herbs to your taste. I usually don't add the herbs because DS doesn't like them. or you can make half with the herbs and half without. BTW - you can freeze the uncooked batter. i've done that a few times because it's annoying to make it...

Adapted From Claudia Roden: "Book of Middle Eastern food"

1 lb dried garbanzos
1 onion, finely chopped or grated,
     or 1 bunch spring onions [scallions], finely chopped
 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
 1-2 teaspoons ground cumin
 1-2 teaspoons ground coriander
 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
salt, pepper, a little paprika
bread crumbs, 1-2 slices of bread soaked and squeezed, a little burghul - optional, see if it's needed.
1 egg, again, if needed
 oil for deep-frying

Soak the beans in cold water for 24 hours. It's best to do this in the fridge, especially in hot weather. change the water a few times.
put through a meat grinder or food processor
Mix this with the onions, garlic, parsley, cumin, coriander, baking powder and salt and cayenne
pepper to taste.  the mixture will be crumbly at this point - don't worry.

Let it rest in the fridge for about 30 -60 minutes. then shape small balls, deep fry one and see if it holds together. if not, try adding binder as needed.

Fry until golden brown (takes just a few minutes) then drain on paper towels.

optional: add one bunch finely chopped parsley or half a bunch parsley and half coriander.

serve with tahini, fresh chopped salad (tomatos and cucumbers finely chopped, mixed with lemon juice and olive oil), pickles, olives, pita

You forgot the part of the instructions that tell you to take it to your favorite hiding place and gorge yourself.