Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Falafel and Tzatziki substitutions.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Nikko-chan:

--- Quote from: Zilla on September 05, 2013, 08:44:56 AM ---Read my post, I modified it to add a link.  You can use the ACV in place of lemon too.  You are a great friend to her!

--- End quote ---

thanks. She and I both love to cook, and now that I introduced her to falafel, she is obsessed (as am I, falafel is tasty and quick to make!). How much ACV to lemon do you think? recipe calls for 3/4 cup in the falafel, and a few tablespoons in the tzatziki.

Also: I am hoping she will agree to come over this weekend so we can make it. I will make two batches, one vegan, and one not, so that she can take her vegan batch home with her and have falafel sandwiches for the week for lunches or after work. (We work late >.<)

Dazi:
Personally, I like tahini or hummus with falafel.  Tahini is my #1 pick.  You can leave the lemon juice out.

ETA: I like tahini in it's original, out of the container form...not made into a sauce.

Zilla:

--- Quote ---
Read my post, I modified it to add a link.  You can use the ACV in place of lemon too.  You are a great friend to her!

thanks. She and I both love to cook, and now that I introduced her to falafel, she is obsessed (as am I, falafel is tasty and quick to make!). How much ACV to lemon do you think? recipe calls for 3/4 cup in the falafel, and a few tablespoons in the tzatziki.

Also: I am hoping she will agree to come over this weekend so we can make it. I will make two batches, one vegan, and one not, so that she can take her vegan batch home with her and have falafel sandwiches for the week for lunches or after work. (We work late >.<)

--- End quote ---

I usually do a even exchange.  But I love both the healthy properties and taste of ACV so you can start with half and do it by taste.  Also red wine vinegar is common in tzatziki if you prefer that milder flavor as well.  Forgot about that.  I love that whole cuisine!  We make a lot of that stuff as well.  If you like strong garlicky dip,

http://thefoodblog.com.au/2010/04/fast-and-easy-toum-the-best-lebanese-garlic-sauce-recipe.html
  Toum is another of our favorite sauces.  And I have swapped out the vinegar for the lemon in that as well.  Warning you though, it's addictive and very very very good with a lot of things.

cicero:
I've never heard of making falafel * with* lemon juice. Falafel is made by grinding soaked chickpeas ( uncooked) with onion, spices, fresh herbs, and usually some kind of binder ( bread crumbs/burgul). It's by nature a vegan dish.

In Israel, probably 99% of falafel is served with tahiini sauce, and while it doess call for lemon juice, you could probably omit it

audrey1962:
Another vote for tahini.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version