Author Topic: Facebook... again... - Do I say anything? UPDATE post#23.  (Read 6797 times)

CocoCamm

• Leader of the 3 ring circus
Re: Facebook... again... - Do I say anything?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 05:31:32 PM »
I would stay out of it because you don't know the whole story. It isn't libel if the story is true.
Then again, it may not be true.

Well said.

OP, based on your posts it doesn't seem like you are an attorney or close enough to the situation to know if what is being said is true. That being said I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole. You certainly don't want to be involved in this on a legal level nor would you want to accidentally align yourself with someone who may turn out to be engaging in illegal practices.

Defriend, destroy the screen shot and move on.

bonyk

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 05:48:51 PM »
Since you work for the government, I would double check the social media policy.  If you're required to report, do so.  If not, defriend.

veronaz

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 06:34:50 PM »
Last night I went onto FB and on my newsfeed it showed that this colleague had made a public post for advice onto the wall of a public support group for people with her medical condition.  I won't put the full content of the post but she stated that she feels she is being discriminated against by her manager due to her medical condition and so has put in a formal complaint against her.

In addition she has made what I believe are some quite libelous comments against this manager.  She hasn't named the manager but I, and anyone else who knows the situation, will know who she is talking about.  I have taken screenshots of the whole thread.

Wow.  This person is REALLY stupid.  It amazes me how people think they can say what they want on the internet and they are safe and don't have to be accountable because it's Facebook (of all places). ::)

I would say nothing about it to anyone.  I would not email her.  As someone said, I would not touch this hot potato with a ten-foot pole.  Let her hang herself (it's possible she already has).

Defriend, destroy the screen shot and move on.

^ This.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 07:52:01 PM by veronaz »

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 07:37:09 PM »
 Unless you are required to report it stay out of this. 

As a side note I think how the legal and lay person definition of; libel , slander , coercion and insanity's is really interesting.

Mikayla

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 11:35:22 PM »
Since you work for the government, I would double check the social media policy.  If you're required to report, do so.  If not, defriend.

I had this same thought.  The government may have stricter social media policies.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 01:18:59 AM »
I'd stay out of it; I am not sure how this could possibly affect the OP. If this person has filed a formal complaint, then it's up to whomever deals with formal complaints to make judgements on the matter. Though I think that posting publicly on Facebook about a matter that is up for a formal inquiry is pretty stupid. None of the OP's business though, really.

YummyMummy66

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 08:45:29 AM »
I would stay out of it.   

If you notify whoever of what is on this person't FB page, you are now a party to the lawsuit, because you can be called as a witness with the information you would provide from her FB page.  Is that something you are prepared to do?

AnaMaria

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 09:46:12 PM »
I think that if you know the statements against the company and manager are lies, you should bring them to the attention of the company/manager.

This.  If you feel she has legit reasons to complain, then back off. 

P-p-p-penguin

• Crazy... but that's how it goes
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2013, 10:54:34 AM »
Hi all, OP here with a sort-of update.

Well, after a near-unanimous verdict here not to say anything I listened to you guys and left it alone and defriended InjuredColleague (IC).

However, when I initially saw her post I mentioned it to a friend who still works in that dept as I thought she would have seen it too and she was just as outraged by the content as I was and so she told the manager.

So it's out there now.  I've not been contacted by work about any of this so I think I'm in the clear :)

It seems as though InjuredColleague has deleted her FB profile, so at least she won't be causing other people problems by plastering work stuff all over the internet.  However, she does appear to have a second profile - I think it's old and not used any more as it is very bare - which is easily identifiable as hers and actually lists her place of employment as OurOrganisation, which is a Very Bad Thing in our world!  Silly girl.

Thanks again for all your advice.