Author Topic: Ovenless biscuit question  (Read 1757 times)

Pen^2

Ovenless biscuit question
« on: September 05, 2013, 12:02:59 PM »
I have no oven where I live. All the other parts of the kitchen are normal, but there is nothing approximating an oven.

I also enjoy making biscuits, and haven't managed it satisfactorily in a microwave. I'm worried about trying it in a frying pan on the stove in case it ruins something.

Can this be done with normal biscuit batter? What about the cooking time? I'm planning on just waiting until they look about right, but what should I expect--5 minutes or half an hour? Do I need to flip them like pancakes?

Google gives me very mixed results, so I thought I'd find out if anyone here has done this. Thanks to anyone who has experience they're willing to share!

NyaChan

Re: Ovenless biscuit question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 12:11:10 PM »
I haven't done it myself aside from flat breads, but I found this article written by a woman who was in your position and she really seems to know what she is doing.  It also has recipes:  http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/baking-without-an-oven-zmaz75jazgoe.aspx?PageId=1

Biscuits are on page 3

CakeBeret

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 12:12:46 PM »
I believe you could make them in a cast iron skillet. Cast iron usually works well for stovetop-cooking things that are traditionally done in the oven. If you google "cast iron biscuits" there are tons of recipes.

"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

amylouky

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 12:13:59 PM »
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Portable-Camp-Oven/895626
I'm wondering if something like this would work?

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 12:19:11 PM »
I'm assuming when you say biscuits, you mean sweet, flat dough based things? Not the 'biscuits and gravy' sort of biscuits served in the US South with savory dishes?

Either way, honestly, I'd look into a large toaster oven - but with sweet (US cookies) there are lots of no-bake options. Savory ones don't do so well without prolonged, indirect heat - you might look into campfire cookery for some alternate methods, as that's the closest thing I can think of. Sorry I can't give you a straight answer.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 12:21:36 PM »
I agree with looking at outdoor cooking ideas.  I have an Outback Oven that lets me bake on a camping stove.  My brother uses a cast aluminum dutch oven on little legs and bakes in that on trips, using wood fire on the lid.  That's not going to work so well in your kitchen, though.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

dawbs

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 12:24:06 PM »
I've actually had reasonable success w/ biscuits and muffins in toaster ovens. 

My old garage sale toaster oven was perfect (and, FWIW, a 'jiffy mix' makes 6 large muffins.  a 6 hole muffin pan just *BARELY* fits into a standard toaster oven.  Ta-da :))

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 12:29:41 PM »
Look for a Dutch oven biscuit recipe and try that in a Dutch oven if you have one or a heavy skillet with a tight lid.

Here's a nice blog about Dutch oven cooking.

http://dutchovenexperiments.blogspot.com/2009/07/dutch-oven-buttermilk-biscuits-oh-so.html

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 12:32:51 PM »
Would an aebleskiver/pancake puff pan work?  I've never used one myself, but I know a lot of people like them.
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 12:45:56 PM »
Probably the easiest option would be the toaster oven if you have room (and the budget) for it.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 08:36:37 PM »
I've actually had reasonable success w/ biscuits and muffins in toaster ovens. 

My old garage sale toaster oven was perfect (and, FWIW, a 'jiffy mix' makes 6 large muffins.  a 6 hole muffin pan just *BARELY* fits into a standard toaster oven.  Ta-da :))

I've got a good sized toaster oven (burners on top and bottom, temperature controlled) and I've done muffins, biscuits, cookies (including Christmas cookies), moist cakes (like banana bread), bread pudding, apple crumble, baked custards, tarts, homemade granola, and cheesecake. Cakes in general don't work well (heating element is too close, heat is too uneven), and full sized pies are a bit tricky to cook evenly.

I've also done fish, chicken wings, baked chicken pieces, small casseroles, braised meats, small roasts whole duck, and a Christmas turkey.

For biscuits - the tricky part with a frying pan is that the heat is much more direct and much more intense than that in an oven, so it's easy to burn things, or for the outside to be crispy while the inside is still raw.

If you're talking biscuits in the butter cut into the flour, baking powder raised, eat with gravy or butter style, look for Welsh cake recipes, which are intended to be cooked on a griddle. You need to make fairly thin biscuits here, and I think a heavy iron frying pan is essential.

If you're talking cookies (creaming butter and sugar, sweet), then I would only try it with a dough that was fairly stiff and needed to be rolled out fairly thinly, rather than stickier dough that's dropped onto the pan. The stickier doughs I think would be a real mess, and would melt, burn and stick to the pan.  For the firmer doughs, I'd try a heavy pan and not too high heat, and you may need some butter or oil to keep it from sticking.

BarensMom

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 01:54:41 PM »
"The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American," pages 158-59, has a brown bread recipe that you cook in a coffee can in a pot of boiling water.  On pages 437-38, there's a recipe for "Skillet Bread," made in a cast iron skillet (baked in an oven unfortunately).  The guy may have been a sleaze, but the food is still good.

I remember my mother making Bisquick biscuits in her cast iron skillet on the stove.  She would cook them like small, thick pancakes.  She used lower heat and covered the pan between flipping.

Pen^2

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 04:06:02 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. Sorry, I should have specified: by "biscuit", I mean the British sweet snack which is called a "cookie" in the USA. Not a scone/muffin. So I don't think a toaster would work :P

I have a really awesome skillet (cast iron and marble), so I'll give it a go with that. I don't want to buy a whole new piece of equipment just for biscuits--I'd rather use what I have if possible. I hate clutter and owning more than I have to.

When I look for recipes using skillets/frying pans, the comments online are a little worrying. Although you get a few nay-sayers for any recipe, the proportion is larger than expected for skillet biscuits, so I'm still a little nervous. I'd hate to ruin my incredible skillet. Although I'm pretty sure I couldn't damage it even if I tried, it's that sturdy.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 08:27:40 AM »
Not toaster, but toaster oven.  Basically, a tiny oven that also toasts.

However, a couple of years ago, I was given a small single purpose appliance specifically for making cookies.  It's similar to a panini press.  I've never used it, though.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 08:38:38 AM »
Oh, cookie biscuits. Much easier.

Here's some directions I used for girls out meeting. We made chocolate chip oatmeal ones.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/01/easy-cookie-recipe_n_1922899.html