News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 17, 2018, 04:14:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Missing" Carolyn Hax column?  (Read 2520 times)

snappylt

"Missing" Carolyn Hax column?
« on: September 05, 2013, 01:26:40 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone here can solve a minor Internet mystery for me.

Yesterday I was reading an advice column at the Washington Post online.  At the bottom of the page there was a list of links to other suggested articles.  One link was to "Carolyn Hax: Family members fail to close ranks against bully", but when I clicked on that link it just went back to the main Carolyn Hax column page, NOT to that particular column.  Odd.

I tried searching (yesterday) for the column on DuckDuckGo and Google.  I found links that were supposed to lead to the column, but when I clicked on each link, each led to the Hax main page, again NOT to the column itself.

I'm guessing that the column was published for a few hours and then removed for whatever reason.

Two questions:

1.) Did anyone here read the actual column before it was pulled (if indeed it was withdrawn)?

2.) Can anyone with better search skills than I find the actual "Family members fail to close ranks against bully" column?

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
Re: "Missing" Carolyn Hax column?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 01:38:36 PM »
I can read it on Social Reader, but it doesn't look like it is up on Washingtonpost.com anymore. I can PM you the column if you would like.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 05:17:01 PM »
Please PM it to me as well, thanks.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 05:43:35 PM »
Me three?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

squeakers

"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

TootsNYC

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
Oh my goodness! someone is finally saying what I've been saying all my life.

The key to any bullying situation isnít the bully or the victim. Itís the witness. When witnesses stand up, step in, say ó in word or deed ó that nastiness wonít be tolerated in this crowd, then bullying stops.

I single-handedly removed two girls from the list of "those bullied consistently" by verbally counter-attacking the people who said rude things to them. That taught me a lot.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 08:09:17 PM »
Oh my goodness! someone is finally saying what I've been saying all my life.

The key to any bullying situation isnít the bully or the victim. Itís the witness. When witnesses stand up, step in, say ó in word or deed ó that nastiness wonít be tolerated in this crowd, then bullying stops.

I single-handedly removed two girls from the list of "those bullied consistently" by verbally counter-attacking the people who said rude things to them. That taught me a lot.

That was a key element of the anti-bullying program at my sons' elementary school. The kids were taught about what to do as witnesses -- if the weren't comfortable in speaking up then and there, they needed  to at least go to the victim and say "I'll go with you to report this." The bullying itself often isn't about the apparent victim; it's more about the witnesses. Those are the ones the bully is really trying to control. Taking away that tacit support is key to stopping the bully.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.