Author Topic: Do you have an electric kettle?  (Read 19862 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: Do you have an electric kettle?
« Reply #225 on: February 06, 2014, 06:29:45 PM »
But...but...kettle is ten times easier! I'm with katycoo on this one.

Cup-a-soup is something I can make for myself home alone if I'm sick. Just out the kettle on and then stir in the soup.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #226 on: February 06, 2014, 06:56:38 PM »
But...but...kettle is ten times easier! I'm with katycoo on this one.

Cup-a-soup is something I can make for myself home alone if I'm sick. Just out the kettle on and then stir in the soup.

maybe for you it is, but honestly, I've timed it.  My stove top kettle takes maybe a minute longer than the electric kettle.  They just aren't that common here in the US. I love my kettle and don't know what I would do without it.  But it's in the basement where I live, and the kitchen kettle is fine for heating up water. 

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #227 on: February 06, 2014, 07:45:56 PM »
I don't even boil water. I put room temperature water into the Cup-O-Noodles Ramen foam cup to the fill line. I blatantly ignore the instructions where it says something about warming the water up first and not using the microwave.

Then I put the whole thing in the microwave for about 3 minutes. Done.

Vall

« Reply #228 on: February 06, 2014, 09:04:57 PM »
For Cup of Soup, I heat water on the stove.  I use a small 1 quart sauce pan and on a gas stove it takes very little time to boil a cup of water.  Almost by the time I get everything ready, it's boiling.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #229 on: February 06, 2014, 09:57:59 PM »
This thread inspired me to have a cup of soup for lunch, made with my kettle. :D

BigBadBetty

« Reply #230 on: February 06, 2014, 10:04:10 PM »
Cup of Noodles is not anything I would eat at home. I usually have frozen meals or restaurant take-out if I don't feel like cooking. I have used cup of noodles at work. My old department had a instant hot water container. In my new department, I just fill with water and microwave. The ones I buy have microwave directions. I don't have an electric kettle at home. I don't drink coffee or tea...only water, cocktails, beer and wine. I really couldn't see me using it much.

sunnygirl

« Reply #231 on: February 07, 2014, 08:31:47 AM »
My dad practically lived on tea and kippers (the boil in the bag kind) when he was living alone after grad school. The only cooking device he owned was an electric kettle. He used to pop the kipper bag into the kettle to cook! Then make tea with the same kettle.  :o

nrb80

• Global Moderator
« Reply #232 on: February 07, 2014, 08:40:29 AM »
There's a great bit, I can't remember where, of a British comedian making fun of the vision of a British kitchen with a big copper kettle roaring away on the Aga and a pair of wellies at the door - making fun of a kettle because it did not have a plug.  Funny thing is that my American kitchen (and those of many of my friends) look exactly like that picture.

We have two stovetop kettles - a giant one, plus a small one for pour over coffee (that tends to be used when just one person is having tea).  I think most houses around here have a kettle on one burner at any given time - something like this - http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Teakettle-2-Quart-Essentials-Stainless/dp/B0009U5MYK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391780368&sr=8-3&keywords=kettle+kitchenaid

There are plenty of electric kettles of all types offered on Amazon, at Bed Bath and Beyond, Target, and similar stores.  I owned one before, never used it because I grew up with a stovetop kettle.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #233 on: February 07, 2014, 07:45:41 PM »
There's a great bit, I can't remember where, of a British comedian making fun of the vision of a British kitchen with a big copper kettle roaring away on the Aga and a pair of wellies at the door - making fun of a kettle because it did not have a plug.  Funny thing is that my American kitchen (and those of many of my friends) look exactly like that picture.

We have two stovetop kettles - a giant one, plus a small one for pour over coffee (that tends to be used when just one person is having tea).  I think most houses around here have a kettle on one burner at any given time - something like this - http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Teakettle-2-Quart-Essentials-Stainless/dp/B0009U5MYK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391780368&sr=8-3&keywords=kettle+kitchenaid

There are plenty of electric kettles of all types offered on Amazon, at Bed Bath and Beyond, Target, and similar stores.  I owned one before, never used it because I grew up with a stovetop kettle.

So the link you posted looks like a standard stove top kettle. So what does a giant kettle look like? I don't believe I've seen one? And what do you use it for? I'm so curious. And I'm loving the imagery of a Aga in the kitchen with Wellies at the door.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #234 on: February 08, 2014, 12:51:45 AM »

So the link you posted looks like a standard stove top kettle. So what does a giant kettle look like? I don't believe I've seen one? And what do you use it for? I'm so curious. And I'm loving the imagery of a Aga in the kitchen with Wellies at the door.

Most tea kettles are 1.5-2 quarts or 8 cups.  A "large" kettle can be anywhere from 2.5-3 quarts or 12-16 cups.  Very handy for making hot brewed iced tea :D

Redsoil

« Reply #235 on: February 08, 2014, 02:50:02 AM »
Mel - congrats on the delivery of your brand-new, you-beaut, temperature-variable kettle!  (Is it a boy or a girl?)  ;)

Woohoo!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #236 on: February 08, 2014, 10:30:44 AM »

Most tea kettles are 1.5-2 quarts or 8 cups.  A "large" kettle can be anywhere from 2.5-3 quarts or 12-16 cups.  Very handy for making hot brewed iced tea :D

Oh, ok. Yeah, 2 and 3 qrt kettles are pretty standard sizes. When nrb80 mentioned a "giant" kettle, I thought it was something large. I did find a 5 quart kettle online and it was interesting to read the reviews that most people buying it were doing so to use as a room humidifier with a wood stove.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #237 on: February 08, 2014, 10:56:11 AM »
Okay, I had to work today so I decided to skip the McDonalds coffee and make my own with my shiny new electric kettle and my shiny new travel French press. I got some whole coffee beans and ground them myself, added a little stevia and some French vanilla coconut milk creamer and, OH MY! What a fantastic cup of coffee! I may well never darken McD's door again...And it's so quick and easy too! Perfect for my office since I am the lone decaf drinker in a company full of caffeine addicts. Now I can have my hot, fresh and very good coffee without having to buy it on the way in. Win!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

nrb80

• Global Moderator
« Reply #238 on: February 08, 2014, 10:57:24 AM »
I have a seven quart.  Great for tea for a crowd

bloo

« Reply #239 on: February 08, 2014, 03:59:20 PM »
I have a seven quart.  Great for tea for a crowd

Me too! I use it for coffee and for tea for a crowd.:)