News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 20, 2018, 01:43:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do you have an electric kettle?  (Read 90786 times)

Lindee

Re: Do you have an electric kettle?
« Reply #270 on: February 08, 2015, 03:27:43 PM »
Aussi here - I love my transparent glass kettle with the blue LED lights when it is on. I can see the water boiling.

Browyn

« Reply #271 on: February 08, 2015, 05:57:11 PM »
NYC USA.

I have never even seen an electric kettle (not in stores, not at the homes of friends or relatives) in real life. The only place I've ever seen or heard or heard of them on from British TV shows. I just can't imagine anyone boiling so much water to be poured that one would need a device that only does that. In every home I know they simply use a pot on the stove for boiling or if there is a lot of tea drinking in the home maybe a stovetop kettle.

Rhode Island here, grew up in Massachusetts.  I have never seen one.  Have always had a stovetop tea kettle and a separate coffee maker.  I did have a hot pot in college for doing things like make soup.  Is a electric kettle like a hot pot? 

katycoo

« Reply #272 on: February 09, 2015, 09:51:25 PM »
NYC USA.

I have never even seen an electric kettle (not in stores, not at the homes of friends or relatives) in real life. The only place I've ever seen or heard or heard of them on from British TV shows. I just can't imagine anyone boiling so much water to be poured that one would need a device that only does that. In every home I know they simply use a pot on the stove for boiling or if there is a lot of tea drinking in the home maybe a stovetop kettle.

Rhode Island here, grew up in Massachusetts.  I have never seen one.  Have always had a stovetop tea kettle and a separate coffee maker.  I did have a hot pot in college for doing things like make soup.  Is a electric kettle like a hot pot? 

Ish.  A kettle has a spout.

Mustard

« Reply #273 on: February 10, 2015, 11:36:12 AM »
I've just bought a new kettle because the spout was useless; I don't know what the yellow thing is, but I wouldn't call it a kettle!  What is noteworthy, for someone from the U.K., is the plug on it.  U.K. plugs are three-pronged, and chunky.  And never used in a bathroom; apparently we Brits are not to be trusted with electrical appliances in the bathroom, other than electric razors which have a special socket.

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #274 on: February 11, 2015, 03:21:06 PM »
I thought you all might find this interesting

http://www.cnet.com/news/this-crazy-kettle-heats-only-the-water-you-need/#ftag=CAD590a51e

According to the article

A 2013 report found, in the UK alone, 68 million was being wasted every year from one single factor: overfilling kettles.

So this system heats a single cup through induction.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

veryfluffy

« Reply #275 on: February 11, 2015, 04:36:58 PM »
68 million? That is only about 3 per household. Doesn't seem like spending 80 on a hot water system would save anything over your lifetime. And you still need a kettle to fill up your hot water bottle.

miranova

« Reply #276 on: May 08, 2015, 11:20:53 AM »
I learn so much here.

I don't think I've ever seen an electric kettle until I read this thread and searched it on Amazon.  I mean, I knew they existed, but I've never owned one and don't remember seeing one in someone else's house although I could have just not noticed it.

I drink coffee but have always used a coffee maker.  My husband drinks tea but always uses the microwave.  I should ask him if he's interested in getting a kettle.

Mustard

« Reply #277 on: May 08, 2015, 02:36:48 PM »
Tea.... in the microwave? Buy that man a kettle immediately!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #278 on: May 08, 2015, 06:52:06 PM »
Weathers getting colder here. Means using the kettle more for tea and filling the hot water bottles before bed. Much more affordable way to stay warm than using a heater. Though we turned out heater on for the first time last night, but only for a bit.

veryfluffy

« Reply #279 on: May 09, 2015, 10:38:15 AM »
I was wondering, people who don't have a kettle, how do they fill up their hot water bottle in winter?

Browyn

« Reply #280 on: May 09, 2015, 10:41:58 AM »
I was wondering, people who don't have a kettle, how do they fill up their hot water bottle in winter?

With a regular tea kettle that goes on the stove.

scansons

« Reply #281 on: May 09, 2015, 10:49:06 AM »
U.S.  Mid Midwest here.  We have one, and used it all the time.  I replaced our usual whistle pot with one about a year ago because I get distracted, and it's nice to have something that shuts itself off instead of boils dry.

For years I had something called a hotshot too.  It did enough water for one cup of hot beverage at a time.  Nice, but not very practical in a counter space used vs. times used sort of way for us.  YMMV

lynnaford

« Reply #282 on: May 09, 2015, 04:05:35 PM »
Tea.... in the microwave? Buy that man a kettle immediately!

I used to use the microwave for hot water for tea until I was given a gift of a an electric tea kettle.  POD  for the kettle.  The difference is amazing! 

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #283 on: May 09, 2015, 05:33:12 PM »
I had no idea anyone used hot water bottles for anything. I thought it was some old timey medical thing for headaches or something. What do you use them FOR?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #284 on: May 09, 2015, 05:46:42 PM »
Warmth. It's cheaper than running a heater all night and if you keep it under the covers then it stays warm all night.
Pain relief. I use mine for period pain and when I was pregnant with DS I used it for ligament pain, which I got a lot.