News:

• February 25, 2018, 09:53:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do you have an electric kettle?  (Read 94868 times)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
Re: Do you have an electric kettle?
« Reply #285 on: May 09, 2015, 05:50:34 PM »
I had no idea anyone used hot water bottles for anything. I thought it was some old timey medical thing for headaches or something. What do you use them FOR?

Keeping my feet warm in bed when they're cold but the rest of me is warm enough that I don't want to turn on the electric blanket (happens frequently because I have circulation issues and my joints ache when cold).

It's really, really helpful when I have bad period cramps, too!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

PastryGoddess

« Reply #286 on: May 09, 2015, 08:00:19 PM »
Interesting, I have a tiny lap sized electric blanket that I use for that kind of stuff. 

magicdomino

« Reply #287 on: May 09, 2015, 08:06:52 PM »
I use a cloth bag filled with cherry pits.  (Rice works well too.)  It gets nuked in the microwave for 2 minutes, and warms my feet very nicely.  Won't make a mess if it springs a leak, either.   :)  I like it so much, I bought a little one for earaches and sore necks.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #288 on: May 09, 2015, 08:44:09 PM »
I have a rice bag as well, but the hot water bottle stays hot longer. :)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #289 on: May 09, 2015, 10:44:29 PM »
My cat put holes in my wheat pack. And yes, hot water bottles stay hotter longer.

Danika

« Reply #290 on: May 09, 2015, 11:45:44 PM »
I have an electric blanket on the bed, but for muscle pains, I have this heating pad:
Moist Heating Pad Digital Electric 14"x27" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ECUX26/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_wiUtvb1FP5YN6

Ereine

« Reply #291 on: May 10, 2015, 02:26:48 AM »
I don't know anyone who uses hot water bottles or electric blankets. I'm not even sure where I could buy an electric blanket or what it's called here, I sometimes see hot water bottles in shops that sell novelty items. It can get cold here but I think that people just wear socks or something. Our insulation might also be better than in some countries (like triple glazed windows are the norm in new buildings) and many people get district heating where the price doesn't change with temperature (though you might not be able to change it anyway).

I do rely on my electric kettle, even though I usually only drink one or two cups of tea a day. I did get paranoid about cheap plastic ones, I now have one that's all metal inside.

PoisonIvy

• Made in the 70s, stuck in the 60s. Yeah, baby!
« Reply #292 on: May 10, 2015, 04:44:56 AM »
Yankee here, now on my 20th year in London. In my first year here as a student with my fellow US exchange students, we rented a fully-furninshed flat that included an electric kettle. We'd never seen one before. One of my roommates immediately killed it when he tried to boil water for pasta. His mistake was adding the pasta to the kettle along with the water.

I eventually became a convert to the kettle, if not to tea (still a coffee drinker, as is my London born-and-bred partner). That being said, our kettle broke during our last move 2 years ago and we haven't replaced it, due to a combination of lack of counter space and sheer laziness. I suppose we're saving on electricity and sort of reducing our carbon footprint by default.
expat in

miranova

« Reply #293 on: May 12, 2015, 07:27:25 AM »
Tea.... in the microwave? Buy that man a kettle immediately!

I mentioned it to him, and he's interested.  He doesn't know if he wants a stovetop kettle or an electric one yet, so we will research.

English1

« Reply #294 on: May 12, 2015, 10:29:24 AM »
In the interests of science (or actually procrastination as I'm meant to be writing an essay) I just boiled 1L of water in my bog standard cheapo UK kettle and it took 1 minute 48 seconds.

I can't imagine life without one...

katycoo

« Reply #295 on: May 16, 2015, 01:15:12 AM »
I don't know anyone who uses hot water bottles or electric blankets. I'm not even sure where I could buy an electric blanket or what it's called here, I sometimes see hot water bottles in shops that sell novelty items. It can get cold here but I think that people just wear socks or something. Our insulation might also be better than in some countries (like triple glazed windows are the norm in new buildings) and many people get district heating where the price doesn't change with temperature (though you might not be able to change it anyway).

I feel the cold and dislike getting into a cold bed in winter.  I like to turn my electric blanket on several hours before I get in so its like a dry oven.  So good.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #296 on: May 16, 2015, 01:48:49 AM »
We don't have central heating, i don't know anyone who has it. Our place gets quite cold.

Browyn

« Reply #297 on: May 16, 2015, 11:19:39 AM »

I feel the cold and dislike getting into a cold bed in winter.  I like to turn my electric blanket on several hours before I get in so its like a dry oven.  So good.

We have an old house and it would cost a mint to keep it as warm as we would like.  We have heated mattress pads (look on Amazon) they are comparable to electric blankets except they don't shift around.  No stealing covers and the bed is toasty warm.  Plus the queen size and up has separate heat controls for each side so you don't have to be at the same temperature as your spouse.  They run for about 10 hours then turn themselves off so they are safe too.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #298 on: May 16, 2015, 06:12:59 PM »
We don't have central heating, i don't know anyone who has it. Our place gets quite cold.

By central heating, do you mean forced air with ducts or radiators?  I don't have central heating ether but I have radiators for heat. 

katycoo

« Reply #299 on: May 17, 2015, 12:56:09 AM »

I have it. It's the same system as the ducted air conditioning.  So much cheaprer to run than the individual electric heaters.