Author Topic: Do you have an electric kettle?  (Read 16836 times)

Ceallach

• This Is It
Re: Do you have an electric kettle?
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2013, 11:42:55 PM »
This trans antlantic folder never ceases to amaze me!  And I know lots of people in RL from lots of places around the world - I guess these little details just don't come up in conversation often!
Actualy, this subject has also been discussed a few years ago (before the TAKE folder existed) and there it was also found out that they are not as common in the US as in a lot of other countries.

In The Netherlands the electric kettle is pretty much standard (essential) kitchen equipment. For myself, I actualy use a stovetop kettle since a few years. I find the stovetop kettle no more difficult then the elecvtric ketle, either method is easier then a pan on the stovetop though.

I find the microwave very impractical for heating water.

I'm not really sure your point here to be honest?   I've been on eHell for over a decade but I don't think I've read every thread, I suspect there are probably lots of things I've missed over the years.    :)     So if there's already been a verdict reached it doesn't really make a difference - *I'm* still surprised to learn this new interesting trans atlantic fact!  It looks like there are a few others who are learning this for the first time too. 

I agree with you re the microwave, I too find it impractical for heating water.       I like my water boiling hot which can't really be safely achieved in the microwave.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

katycoo

« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2013, 02:58:50 AM »
This trans antlantic folder never ceases to amaze me!  And I know lots of people in RL from lots of places around the world - I guess these little details just don't come up in conversation often!
Actualy, this subject has also been discussed a few years ago (before the TAKE folder existed) and there it was also found out that they are not as common in the US as in a lot of other countries.

In The Netherlands the electric kettle is pretty much standard (essential) kitchen equipment. For myself, I actualy use a stovetop kettle since a few years. I find the stovetop kettle no more difficult then the elecvtric ketle, either method is easier then a pan on the stovetop though.

I'm not really sure your point here to be honest?   I've been on eHell for over a decade but I don't think I've read every thread, I suspect there are probably lots of things I've missed over the years.    :)     So if there's already been a verdict reached it doesn't really make a difference - *I'm* still surprised to learn this new interesting trans atlantic fact!  It looks like there are a few others who are learning this for the first time too. 

I agree with you re the microwave, I too find it impractical for heating water.       I like my water boiling hot which can't really be safely achieved in the microwave.

I think her point was merely a comment that it had come up in conversation here before.  And nothing more than that.  No need to read it everything!

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2013, 05:51:02 AM »

I think her point was merely a comment that it had come up in conversation here before.  And nothing more than that.  No need to read it everything!

You're right it was probably just the way it was worded.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2013, 03:26:30 PM »
US here, from Hawaii.
<snip>
In Hawaii, this is what is commonly used to heat water for tea: https://www.ccteaz.com/images/tea/112-sized.jpg
We must run in different circles.  I've never seen that appliance.  How does it work?  Where do you buy it?
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Carotte

« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2013, 03:58:36 PM »
US here, from Hawaii.
<snip>
In Hawaii, this is what is commonly used to heat water for tea: https://www.ccteaz.com/images/tea/112-sized.jpg
We must run in different circles.  I've never seen that appliance.  How does it work?  Where do you buy it?

I think in countries where they are not very prevalent they would mostly be found in larger offices and maybe hotels and things like that. So you'd buy it from a office/restaurant supplier? that's my assumption, based on another assumption, that they might be 'safer' for the use of the public. The public doesn't have to fill it or mess with plugging it in and there's only one button and no need to lift. It's also a bigger capacity than a normal kettle so the person in charge doesn't have to fill it as often.
there's always amazon or ebay tho.
I'm not sure how they work, I think they're supposed to only heat up what you are pouring.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »
Caterers and large offices tend to have things like this:

Faerydust

« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2013, 05:09:36 PM »
US here, from Hawaii.
<snip>

I think in countries where they are not very prevalent they would mostly be found in larger offices and maybe hotels and things like that. So you'd buy it from a office/restaurant supplier? that's my assumption, based on another assumption, that they might be 'safer' for the use of the public. The public doesn't have to fill it or mess with plugging it in and there's only one button and no need to lift. It's also a bigger capacity than a normal kettle so the person in charge doesn't have to fill it as often.
there's always amazon or ebay tho.
I'm not sure how they work, I think they're supposed to only heat up what you are pouring.

You fill it with water, press a button, and it heats the water up and keeps it at a certain temperature. Macy's has them as well as other local stores. I think I've even seen them in Walmart and Costco.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/zojirushi-cd-wbc30-water-boiler-warmer-3-liter?ID=479759&cm_mmc=Google_Home_PLA-_-Home+Electrics+-+Tea+Kettles+%26+Electric+Kettles+-+PLA-_-25704041116_adc_pg_305_11056_51dc8d51e4b0a3ee5b2772b7_25704041116_{device}-_-_mkwid_23596282308USA|d{device}_25704041116|-|23596282308USA

Midnight, are you from Oahu? Maybe they are more common on Maui with our large Japanese population, although Oahu has even more of a Japanese influence so I'm surprised they aren't as common there, but there are differences from island to island for sure. I've seen them in offices, churches, potlucks/events where there is tea, and in some of my friend's homes (those of Japanese descent usually).  Usually those friends have a grandparent in the home who drinks tea, but those in my generation probably wouldn't have one unless they are huge tea drinkers.

In fact, if kitchen space wasn't limited, I would get one for my SO's grandma. She drinks tea all day and it would be so convenient.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2013, 05:47:06 PM »
Midnight, are you from Oahu? Maybe they are more common on Maui with our large Japanese population, although Oahu has even more of a Japanese influence so I'm surprised they aren't as common there, but there are differences from island to island for sure. I've seen them in offices, churches, potlucks/events where there is tea, and in some of my friend's homes (those of Japanese descent usually).  Usually those friends have a grandparent in the home who drinks tea, but those in my generation probably wouldn't have one unless they are huge tea drinkers.

In fact, if kitchen space wasn't limited, I would get one for my SO's grandma. She drinks tea all day and it would be so convenient.
Yes, I'm on Oahu.  I think I drink more tea than anyone else I know and I drink most of it at work where I use a hot pot.

I have a flat surface electric stoves.  It takes a long time for the element to heat up and just as long for it to cool.  I boil water in the microwave because it's faster and doesn't heat up my kitchen as much as the stove does.  I have an old pyrex measuring cup that is scratched on the inside so it doesn't superheat and explode when removed from the MW.  I know better than to keep "bumping" it (giving it another minute to bring it back to boil) with the door closed, which is the only time I have had water boil over.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

AngelicGamer

« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2013, 07:04:58 PM »
I'm now debating if I want to get one for the winter that's coming up.  I live in the Midwest (around Chicago) and I drink a lot of coffee/tea/hot chocolate in the winter.  I have a drip coffee pot for the first (debating about a Keurig though) but an electric kettle sounds nice for the other two.  Plus, I am starting to get worried about heating water in the microwave, even though I throw in a spoon before pouring it in any cup.  It would be nice not to worry about that!

I do have a stove top kettle, but it seems to take so long.  Mom says that's because we have an electric stove instead of a gas one.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2013, 07:43:47 PM »
I did a comparison last night when waiting for my kettle to boil for my quinoa.  I filled up my stove top kettle and put in on the burner with the flame as high as it could go.  I then filled my electric kettle and turned it up to high.  The stovetop kettle boiled 20 seconds after the electric kettle.  I think they hold about the same amount of water.

I like my electric kettle for the convenience and portability, but I'll probably always have a stove top kettle

crella

« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2013, 08:27:39 PM »
US here, from Hawaii.
<snip>

They're made by a Japanese company, Zojirushi.  Well, a lot of appliance makers , like Toshiba etc, also make them, but it seems that the Zojirushi ones are more common in the US. You can get them off Amazon and similar sites, Faerydust posted a link to Macy's. Local Asian markets (like Hmart) sell them as well, but I think they may be pricier at an Asian grocery.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2013, 08:37:54 PM »
There's an Hmart right up the street from me.  How much water do they hold?

katycoo

« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2013, 08:43:14 PM »
Urns like the one pictured by Faerydust are pretty common here (well the concept) but they're used when catering for large numbers.  I'd imagine most people don't have one, but groups probably do.  For this reason they're larger here - average 20 Litres?  They maintain a constant heat while they're on so people can get their tea instantly.  You wouldn't leave one running all day in a house just for 1 or 2 people though.  Massive waste of electricity.

crella

« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2013, 12:30:52 AM »
There's an Hmart right up the street from me.  How much water do they hold?

They come in 2, 3, and 4 liter sizes. I don't remember which ones HMart carries.

Edit: I checked Hmart's site, they have several.

http://www.hmart.com/shopnow/shopnow_newsub.asp?p=23596290880
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 12:35:16 AM by crella »

that_one_girl

« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
US here, from Hawaii.
<snip>

They're made by a Japanese company, Zojirushi.  Well, a lot of appliance makers , like Toshiba etc, also make them, but it seems that the Zojirushi ones are more common in the US. You can get them off Amazon and similar sites, Faerydust posted a link to Macy's. Local Asian markets (like Hmart) sell them as well, but I think they may be pricier at an Asian grocery.

Zojirushi is a really good company.  I bought some of their bento stuff 2 years ago while living in Japan and everything is still like new.