Author Topic: Do you have an electric kettle?  (Read 17175 times)

ishka

Do you have an electric kettle?
« on: September 06, 2013, 10:31:21 AM »
I am in Australia and here an electric kettle is an essential part of a kitchen, mainly used to boil water for tea or instant coffee, but also useful for boiling water for other purposes.

I was speaking to a friend from the U.S. and somehow the subject of my kettle came up.  She does not have one and does not see why such a thing would be useful let alone essential.  She does not drink tea and her coffee is made in a coffee maker; if she has to boil water she uses a pot or the microwave.

I cannot imagine a kitchen without a kettle and I was wondering how many people get along perfectly happily without one.

cwm

Re: Do you have an electric kettle?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 10:37:43 AM »
My BF has an electric kettle with different settings for different types of tea. His biggest problem is the fact that his kitchen barely has any outlets. The only place to put it is the stovetop anyway.

I don't have a kettle at all. Or a microwave. If I want tea I have to boil water on the stovetop, which is annoying. My sister and mom each have a kettle to heat water, but it goes on the stove. I'm jealous. I have boxes and cannisters of tea that I can't make very well because pouring boiling water from an open pot to a mug isn't exactly easy.

The only other thing I would use it for is if I needed to steam an envelope open. It's easier with a direct line of steam rather than a big plume, but for general water boiling purposes, it's usually being used to cook something that's just going to be added to the pot.

ETA: I'm in the US, if that makes a difference.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 10:40:57 AM »
This trans antlantic folder never ceases to amaze me!  And I know lots of people in RL from lots of places around the world - I guess these little details just don't come up in conversation often!

Yes I have an electric kettle as does nearly every person I know.   I'm in Australia.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Lynnv

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 10:46:05 AM »
US here.  I have an electric kettle.  Love it to pieces-I use it for hot beverages, heating water for cooking or canning when I need to add hot water to something that is already going, and for making instant soup in a cup.

However, I did spend a lot of years without one.  If I needed hot water, I either boiled it on the stovetop or in the microwave.  I then got a stovetop kettle, and used it some.  But for a single cup, the microwave was often still the easiest bet. 

Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 10:51:11 AM »
Canadian here, with British roots a couple of generations or so back.

I have always had an electric kettle - an absolutely essential piece of kitchen equipment.  I'm a tea drinker and don't drink coffee at all so it gets used every morning I have breakfast at home.  We have one in the kitchen at work, too.

I also use it when a recipe calls for hot water.  That way, I can use fresh run cold water rather than water that's been sitting in my hot water tank, gathering metals and plastisizers and who knows what else, in something I'm going to consume.

cwm, I had to use a pot when staying at a friend's place.  The trick?  Put your mug in the sink and then pour.  That way, it doesn't matter if you spill a little.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 11:00:10 AM »
UK, an electric kettle is essential.

Please don't boil water in the microwave, it can be really dangerous (it can become superheated, and xplode when you take it out).

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 11:08:13 AM »

NYC, here.

We were given a Russel Hobbs kettle as a Wedding present.  It was nice but we didn't use it very much.  After a few years, we passed it off to a friend who admired it.

Coffee is our morning drink and we have a Braun for that.

We now use a traditional whistling kettle when we  have tea. 

magicdomino

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 11:15:14 AM »
U.S. here.  I have one, but I originally bought it for canning, where I needed boiling water for lids and the like, but the stove top is already crowded.  Most people I know use the microwave or stove top.  If they use a lot of boiling water, they have a stove-top kettle with a whistle.

I also have a hot water dispenser in the sink.  It doesn't reach boiling temperature, though, and is mostly used for getting a start on boiling water for pasta, or for washing a few dishes.  It takes about a gallon of cold water to go through the pipes before the hot water reaches the kitchen sink.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 11:19:01 AM »
Aussie here.

I have a stovetop kettle. Love the whistle. Doesn't feel like a real cuppa without it. Definitely in the minority tho - everyone else I know has an electric kettle.

Also have a coffee maker (the kind with pods) but don't use it that much.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 11:27:04 AM »
NYC USA.

I have never even seen an electric kettle (not in stores, not at the homes of friends or relatives) in real life. The only place I've ever seen or heard or heard of them on from British TV shows. I just can't imagine anyone boiling so much water to be poured that one would need a device that only does that. In every home I know they simply use a pot on the stove for boiling or if there is a lot of tea drinking in the home maybe a stovetop kettle.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 11:35:56 AM »
In the U.S., and we use a traditional stovetop kettle.  DH used an electric kettle when he was in grad school, but found he preferred the stovetop type.
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

perpetua

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 11:41:46 AM »
UK. I could not live without my kettle - there's a long standing joke in the UK that whenever you move, the first thing you need to find and unpack at the other end is the kettle, so make sure you pack it somewhere prominent - and I'm completely baffled that other people don't have them  :o

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 11:46:47 AM »
US, northeast. We have an electric kettle and I LOVE it. I can't imagine going back to not having one. (Previously we used a stovetop kettle.) Being able to boil water so quickly and efficiently is fantastic.  :D

magicdomino

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 11:48:11 AM »
NYC USA.

I have never even seen an electric kettle (not in stores, not at the homes of friends or relatives) in real life. The only place I've ever seen or heard or heard of them on from British TV shows. I just can't imagine anyone boiling so much water to be poured that one would need a device that only does that. In every home I know they simply use a pot on the stove for boiling or if there is a lot of tea drinking in the home maybe a stovetop kettle.

I ordered my eletric kettle from Amazon simply because I wasn't sure where to look for one.  As it turned out, Target carries one or two electric kettles. 

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 11:51:13 AM »
UK. I could not live without my kettle - there's a long standing joke in the UK that whenever you move, the first thing you need to find and unpack at the other end is the kettle, so make sure you pack it somewhere prominent - and I'm completely baffled that other people don't have them  :o

Not a joke - I'm serious about that!  Whenever I've moved, I've always had a small biz with kettle and tea things in a prominent place.

Incidentally, I have no idea how to use a coffee maker.