Author Topic: Do you have an electric kettle?  (Read 18261 times)

Judah

• California, U.S.A
Re: Do you have an electric kettle?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 11:51:14 AM »
You can find electric kettles in the U.S., but not easily. I don't know anyone that has one though. I have a stove top kettle that I use quite a bit.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 12:00:35 PM »
I'm a tea drinker, but I don't have an electric kettle. I use a stovetop kettle. If, for some reason, I am going to be drinking tea throughout the day, I make an entire pot, strain it (I always use loose tea, not bags) and put the tea in the refrigerator to be heated a cup at a time in the microwave.
Mr. Nutrax uses a regualr coffeemaker.

Otherwise, I don't know what I'd so with one. I rarely have need for a small amount of boiling water. It's usually a pot for cooking pasta (I'd need a very large kettle for that) or making rice. If I need a small amount, I use a microwave. I don't do things like instant oatmeal/porridge (ugh!) or instant soup.

I've used hotel electric kettles when traveling in Australia & New Zealand. Much better than having to heat water for tea in the hotel coffeemaker, which never gets it hot enough & is always contaminated with enough coffee oil to make the tea terrible.

Incidentally, I have no idea how to use a coffee maker.
If it's not some fancy things, it's put coffee in basket, put basket in coffeemaker, fill pot with water, dump water into coffeemaker, put pot o burner, turn on.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Rohanna

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 12:03:48 PM »
N Ontario girl, and I don't think I've ever been to a friends house that didn't have an electric kettle. Cold winters mean lots of tea and ht chocolate :)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 12:11:35 PM »
US, and I have a stovetop kettle - we use it for making tea, hot chocolate, or coffee (DH uses a french press). I had an electric kettle when Inlived in college dorms - it was the only cooking device allowed in our rooms - and we used them to cook pasta. My office has a couple electric kettles in break rooms, for use by those who drink tea, or want coffe but not from the k-cup machine. The only time I've wanted an electric kettle is when we lived in a two-story house and I thought it would be nice to keep one upstairs for ease of tea-making while doing homework. :)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 12:15:31 PM »
US here. Love my electric kettle. I drink tea much more than coffee, and it is wonderful.

However, I used to have a stovetop kettle, until I was lucky enough to spend some time in England. That's when I discovered the joys of the electric kettle.

Most people I know drink coffee and use coffeemakers that heat the water. If they need hot water, they get it from the tap, or they heat it in a pan on the stove.

Lots of college students have what we used to call "hot pots" in their dorm rooms. It's a small electric device that holds water and heats it. Used to heat water for cup-a-soup or cup-a-noodle type things. Now that I think about it, they are really small electric kettles.

Two things I did right after I got home from London--bought an electric kettle and found a source for clotted cream. England spoiled me.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 12:31:03 PM »
I'm in the US and I consider an electric kettle a kitchen essential. I've never lived anywhere with a gas stove and it takes way too long to boil water on an electric stove. We also have one for making tea in my office kitchen which has no stove. I don't like boiling water in the microwave since it doesn't heat evenly and the timing is so variable. They are easy enough to find at Target or similar stores.

camlan, I always thought an electric kettle and a hot pot were the same thing.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

123sandy

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 12:40:20 PM »
Scottish, and absolutely have an electric kettle. As someone else said, when us Brits move, the kettle, mugs and tea bags are packed in a separate bag and hand-carried to the new place.

DavidH

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
I always thought of an electric kettle and a hot pot as the same thing, just British vs. US terminology.  That said, a hot pot was very common in college and very rare afterwards.  I have a device now that provides instant hot water (just under boiling, 190 if I remember right) at the sink at all times and it is amazing for making tea and things like that.  It wasn't particularly expensive, so I'm surprised I see them in so few homes. 

Wench

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 12:53:24 PM »
The Uk national grid is set for boiling million of kettles at once.  Apparently the adverts are louder than a tv programme because they know British people will go out and boil a kettle at the same time.  Ironically my parents did have an on the hob kettle which whistled, though they soon went back to an electric kettle. 

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 01:02:11 PM »
I don't think I'd ever you one.  I don't drink tea or coffee.  The rare times I need boiling water I put a large measuring cup in the microwave.  My MIL is a British-heritage Kiwi.  She uses a stove top kettle.  I have friends with a very hot water spigot.  They don't use it often.  I think they got it as a future selling point for the house. 

jmarvellous

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 01:07:38 PM »
We always did measuring cup or mug in the microwave growing up (though we rarely drank tea; it was mostly for hot liquid for instant oatmeal or hot chocolate).

I bought my then-boyfriend an electric kettle when I noticed he made tea allll the time with a pot of boiled water, but he hated it more than anything else I've seen him hate. (It was quite funny to me!)  So, for the next holiday, I bought him a metal whistling teapot. We are used to them, electric or gas stove.

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 04:50:08 PM »
US, I have always had an electric kettle.  I grew up with one.  They aren't difficult to find at all, an usually quite inexpensive.  At stores, they are typically in the aisle with the coffee makers or small appliances. 
Not such a newbie anymore

NestHolder

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 04:53:19 PM »
Of *course* I have an electric kettle.  Boiling water is essential for Tea, but it's also jolly handy to be able to boil it in order to cook the kind of vegetables that get done very briefly in boiling water (practically everything, in my kitchen), rather than started from cold (potatoes).  And a kettle does the job very quickly.  Even if I never drank tea, I'd still want a kettle.

Why, yes, I am British.

marcel

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 04:53:23 PM »
This trans antlantic folder never ceases to amaze me!  And I know lots of people in RL from lots of places around the world - I guess these little details just don't come up in conversation often!
Actualy, this subject has also been discussed a few years ago (before the TAKE folder existed) and there it was also found out that they are not as common in the US as in a lot of other countries.

In The Netherlands the electric kettle is pretty much standard (essential) kitchen equipment. For myself, I actualy use a stovetop kettle since a few years. I find the stovetop kettle no more difficult then the elecvtric ketle, either method is easier then a pan on the stovetop though.

I find the microwave very impractical for heating water.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 05:11:26 PM »
American here. I had never had a kettle. I remembered my Grandmother had a kettle out on her stove all the time, but my mother never had one. When DH and I were married, someone gave me a beautiful copper kettle for the stove. I loved the look of it but I seldom used it. I eventually donated it to a friend who collected cooper cooking items.

Then I went to live in Australia and the furnished apartment had an electric kettle. I became addicted to it. When I moved back home, I decided to go a year and see if I still wanted one. I now own a wonderful electric one that allows me to heat water to specific degrees based on the type of tea I'm brewing or if I'm needing to proof yeast. DH thought I was a little nuts for wanting one till I showed him I could heat the same amount of water to boiling in the kettle in half the time it took on my gas range. Well, actually, he still thinks I'm a little nuts but he knows not to get between me and my kitchen gadgets.